IGNORED

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Rubin Farr

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fucking ass hats. i really hate Disney. i guess that means there really is no chance of a KOTOR 3.

...well, it's not like Mickey Mouse has demolished everything Star Wars related. It might still get made... but it won't. Especially not after what was The Old Republic.

Republic commando was pretty decent (even though it's prequel shit) if I remember correctly, not sure if in-house though. The last great game was probably Grim Fandango.

No great loss. I'm sure there'll be a lot of star wars licensed games, just published by disney interactive instead of lucasarts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

The last good game that was in LucasArts' name was Knights of the Old Republic 2.

that was developed by a third party, too. so really, lucasarts probably hasn't had a good, in-house game since monkey island or something.

All the Monkey Isalnd games (except for 4) were great and so was Grim Fandango which was probably the last good game they made.

I've extraordinarily behind on all of the new SW developments, but I did see this recently - Darkhorse Comics is putting out a series based on the original SW draft from 1974, part of the many drafts, and the aesthetics look very similar to the concept art by Ralph Mcquarrie. The plot will be a lot more akin to the original inspirations of Flash Gordon and old Samurai films Lucas grew up on. Might be one of the last Darkhorse SW series to be made as well. For me personally Darkhorse comics were my main venture into EU media.

It's been a good year for fans of the original Star Wars trilogy and Dark Horse comics. There's the new Star Wars series by Brian Wood and Carlos D'Anda that takes place between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, (the first issue of which CA's own Dylan Todd reviewed here), and now J.W. Rinzler (The Making of The Empire Strikes Back) and Mike Mayhew (perennial Best Art Ever This Week favorite) are teaming to adapt the original draft by George Lucas for what would become A New Hope, which features a six-foot lizard Han Solo and Annikin Starkiller, as Dark Horse Comics limited series.

From Dark Horse's official press release:
Three years before his 1977 film, George Lucas put down on paper his first story set in a galaxy far, far away-a tale of fantastic adventures, daring escapes, "lazer swords," romance, and monsters. A story of Jedi Annikin Starkiller and General Luke Skywalker, an alien named Han Solo, and evil Sith Knights. The screenplay was titled The Star Wars!
Slated for a September release, the eight-issue mini-series may be among the final Dark Horse-published Star Wars comics, as the rights will revert back to Disney, and subsequently, Marvel after 2013.

swthe-1-pg-02.jpg

Well, the first half of the 1990s was the shining era for LucasArts I think, especially with their release of Dark Forces. It was a revolutionary yet overlooked FPS for its time. I know at least one other WATMMer who agrees.

...buuuuut when was the last time LucasArts put out a good game?

I realize it's been years since a good self published Lucasarts game, it's just a shame Disney feels they need to eliminate any duplication of resources. Couldn't they at least have finished the downloadable Battlefront title first? Shit

Dark forces was a kind of magic

Star Wars Episode I: Racer (1999) was pretty good as far as I remember.

Lot of good memories playing that one my friend's N64

Anyone remember Rebel Assault 2? It's kind of silly in retrospect but I had a lot of fun playing that game.

http://youtu.be/mD4ClIP6V_U

Thermal Detonators! And secondary firing. YEAH!

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight was a bit of a mess, but the sequel to THAT was amazing!

Yes sir. Also right-handed weapons, jumping and crouching, and being able to look up or down.

Yeah the first Jedi Knight was plagued with terrible acting. I think what they had in mind was to bring the Jedi and light sabres back into their games to cater to devout Star Wars fans, which the first Dark Forces completely lacked. Maybe the first one was Lucas Arts' grand experiment as an FPS game though, since the genre as a whole was still new at the time.

I realize it's been years since a good self published Lucasarts game, it's just a shame Disney feels they need to eliminate any duplication of resources. Couldn't they at least have finished the downloadable Battlefront title first? Shit

Well, it's a business and instead of trying to create stuff that will just end up getting cancelled like the last 90 LucasArts projects then they're gonna license it to other developers. Seems like a smart move to me. Plus, who nows, someone might pick up the bits and pieces that were left of that downloadable Battlefront-kinda-like game and 1313.

Well, it's a business and instead of trying to create stuff that will just end up getting cancelled like the last 90 LucasArts projects then they're gonna license it to other developers. Seems like a smart move to me. Plus, who nows, someone might pick up the bits and pieces that were left of that downloadable Battlefront-kinda-like game and 1313.

IGN says they tried shopping both titles to another developer, but no takers.

Dark forces was a kind of magic

>Star Wars Episode I: Racer (1999) was pretty good as far as I remember.

Lot of good memories playing that one my friend's N64

Anyone remember Rebel Assault 2? It's kind of silly in retrospect but I had a lot of fun playing that game.

http://youtu.be/mD4ClIP6V_U

Rebel Assault 2 bring me memories of my first PC, which was IIRC a Pentium 100. I thought it was the future of gaming LOL. Then I discovered Dark Forces.

That, and something I'm still trying to find, which is the opening A New Hope scene, redone in IMAX format, for the SFX movie they had back in those days.

Anyway, closing LucasArts is, in a way, perhaps the best Star Wars gaming news of the past decade. We'll finally get fresh material, a fresh aspect to it, in long-term. LucasArts was a wreck of a studio (as a producer *and* creator).

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, plus the expansion missions, were fucking awesome. Was the first time in a while that someone remembered BIG LEVEL DESIGN IS AWESOME. Remember one mission where you started at the base of a tower and had to fight your way all the way to the top.

Archived