IGNORED

Non-Smoking Thread

Guest Gary C

Guest Gary C

Just because I haven't smoked in two weeks. I can handle mornings and evenings at home, but fuck, between 1pm and 4pm every day I'm swallowing pen lids.

That's it, really. Anyone else quitting?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i cut down two weeks ago. i still smoked a couple of times when i was drinking (so, like three or four nights). i figure cold turkey is unnecessarily difficult and just smoking on occasion will help me develop more self-control. i was a pack every two days and now i smoked a pack in two weeks, so i'm pretty satisfied with my progress.

I've almost quit entirely for months now. I think I've had two or three cigarettes in the last 4-6 months

Guest Sprigg

I've almost quit entirely for months now. I think I've had two or three cigarettes in the last 4-6 months

Very nice, keep it up!

I've had one cigarette since January, and that was last week. Tasted like ash rolled in shit.

i cut down two weeks ago. i still smoked a couple of times when i was drinking (so, like three or four nights). i figure cold turkey is unnecessarily difficult and just smoking on occasion will help me develop more self-control. i was a pack every two days and now i smoked a pack in two weeks, so i'm pretty satisfied with my progress.

You'll relapse soon enough, I never believe people who say they are 'cutting down'. Quitting smoking is very easy via cold turkey, you'll just eat a fuck ton to compensate. In other words, stop being a little bitch and chose one path or the other, there is no middle ground with tobacco.

I've smoked two cigarettes since May 2011. The second to last one was on New Year's Eve 2011, a "light" that I bummed from a girl. It tasted like shit and I put it out before I even finished it. The last one was at a friend's wedding a couple of weeks ago, bummed from the father of the groom. That one was really good, it was one of those tasty "short and strong" types of cigs. I never stopped liking the taste and smell of cigarettes, so I'm not surprised I still enjoy it. I simply don't want to be a smoker anymore though.

You'll relapse soon enough, I never believe people who say they are 'cutting down'. Quitting smoking is very easy via cold turkey, you'll just eat a fuck ton to compensate. In other words, stop being a little bitch and chose one path or the other, there is no middle ground with tobacco.

moderation can exist with any substance, even cocaine, heroin and nicotine. besides, i don't think i was very addicted to the nicotine, just the act itself. so yeah, i think you're wrong.

Guest Gary C

I smoke constantly at work.

i rarely smoke otherwise

I rarely smoked at home. Only really when drinking or on weekends.

But after a year of never smoking at work I got into a cycle of 4-5 cigs a day. I liked the break from the working routine and smoking area conversations, but it was getting too much. In the last few years smoking has made me need to spit a lot as well. And I was usually gagging after my first cig of the day. No fun.

i smoked my last on january 7th and i won't be going back to it.

Congrats!

I never stopped liking the taste and smell of cigarettes, so I'm not surprised I still enjoy it. I simply don't want to be a smoker anymore though.

I enjoyed so many things about smoking. The sensation, sometimes the smell, the tool when drunk. But yeah, I simply don't want to be a smoker any more. It's really tough, though. Summer is probably the hardest time to quit because I'm going to be outside drinking.

i smoked copious amounts of weed to deal with the initial cravings of tobacco. i got really angry (hulking rage like) 2 or 3 times, but now im feeling great. i quit early march, smoked one evening in may. never since though. never will again. If i smoke, i only will smoke the royal plant.

good luck man. it's very brave and healthy of you. the first 2 weeks are the worst, by fucking far. after that, it will only get better: your sense of smell increases, you breathe better, and you just feel much better in general!!

i "quit" several times, i.e. made a year - year and a half breaks in between smoking periods, so the last break began about 6 months ago, hoping it will last longer this time because this shit gets more and more disguising. my trick to holding off is a sort of a self-psychological-criticism - when i feel like im about to break and buy/bum cigarettes i try to convince myself that doing this is a sign of weakness of character and inability to control simple urges, and if i do break i will think less of myself. bringing such thoughts to the consciousness helped me to overpower the cravings many times, it's that just that sometimes i ended up rationalizing through it somehow and another smoking period began.

smoking cigarettes simply adds nothing to your life. it only adds something to your life when you are smoking, and that is the fact that you need your cigarette to feed your lame addiction. when you are not smoking, you don't need cigarettes.

that's my simple truth.

smoking weed simply adds nothing to your life. it only adds something to your life when you are smoking weed, and that is the fact that you need your weed to feed your weed addiction. when you are not weeding, you don't need weed.

that's my simple weed.

i quit cold turkey years ago. not as hard as i expected.
I have a friend who i used to work out with at the gym. I thought he was into his health but hes taken to smoking and eating fast food seemingly out of no where at the ripe old age of 30.

Guest Gary C

My dad's always smoked so I guess I've been around the smell and wasn't disgusted whenever I first tried.

I don't think I really started smoking properly until I got to university, though. I was drinking and taking more drugs than I had before. Like I said, I find that a cigarette is a good tool in social situations. As I was pretty nervous around my late teens I would have most likely used smoking as an excuse to leave busy crowded social situations. Catch people in smaller groups smoking, more manageable. I also believe there's some truth in that with a red-hot ember in your fingers you've manifested a subconscious guard.

I've quit for months, maybe even a whole year, before. And I've been pretty good until the last 3-4 months when I started smoking at work again. But I really got hooked when I spent 6 months working on a ski resort in 2007. Outdoors. Cold. Smoking is all you have.

I got into smoking cigarettes when drunk. Then as a way to deal with stress, I guess. I've cut down tremendously since picking the weed up again after a hiatus during a job hunt. Marijuana is as much a waste of time as drinking tea, reading a book, watching a movie, smiling. Seriously, what's with that point of view?

I haven't had a cigarette since the beginning of May, not sure of the date. Not likely to go back, now that I have an office job where I can get an hour of overtime by not logging out of the phone qeue, and time is fucking precious, so I huff on the ecig all day, which I am also thinking needs to come to an end, since it fucks with my blood pressure.

Jesus fricking Christ.

I just typed the most epic reply to this thread where I talked about all of my experience with smoking and quitting and my family members with cancer and went to hit "Post" on my mobile, but accidentally hit "Full Version" (which is too close to the post button). Fucking lost an hour of my life.

Bottom line.

Quit. No matter what. Just quit.

All of you.

I've known the most hardcore smokers on the planet who have still successfully quit. It can be done.

Archived