IGNORED

Peel Session from 95?

Sam

Didn't Sean or Rob say something about the track being some kind of response to the effects Aphex used HAB or sommat?

I think Aphex' HAB was the response, after that they responded with Drane2.

as sean put it:

yeah we did the track drane, which had that exponential speeding-up delay thing happening, and then rich did that bouncing ball track, and we answered it with drane2 which was the same delay trick but feeding percussion into it instead, as a kind of tease

he said he made a bouncing ball revenge track to it once but i guess he didn't release it, prob cos we all got better things to do than get into a tricks war :gamer:

as sean put it:

yeah we did the track drane, which had that exponential speeding-up delay thing happening, and then rich did that bouncing ball track, and we answered it with drane2 which was the same delay trick but feeding percussion into it instead, as a kind of tease

he said he made a bouncing ball revenge track to it once but i guess he didn't release it, prob cos we all got better things to do than get into a tricks war :gamer:

Yeah, that's it, ta.

What a war that would have been...

drane 2 is IDM perfectionism

just like those tracks from the Garbage ep

and though I'm a massive Aphex fan, I think Autechre smash themselves first through the racetrack ribbon on occasions like this

as sean put it:

Yeah, that's it, ta.

What a war that would have been...

Aphex was winning the 'tricks war' until Confield imo, then he just decided to make really fun and crazy music without worrying too much about trickery. for me. Draft 7.30 is 'bouncing ball' effect perfected.

Although arguably Squarepusher with Go Plastic was neck and neck with AE in the same war

Smash up the Pram by Cylob I think also deserves an honorable mention in the 'tricks war', a song's melody entirely derived from stuttering bass and snare drum hits.

for me. Draft 7.30 is 'bouncing ball' effect perfected.

Interesting, it'll think about this next time I play it, never made that connection myself

Wikipedia have Autechre listed as playing a peel session in 1995. Any more info on this anywhere?

• Autechre (30 August 1995, 20 June 1998, 5 July 1999)

so with Peel Session 1 being broadcast in '95, that gives us three different dates. i haven't heard of this 1998 date, perhaps it's the first one broadcast again? or could it be more unheard material?

• 2 weeks later...

Wikipedia have Autechre listed as playing a peel session in 1995. Any more info on this anywhere?

• Autechre (30 August 1995, 20 June 1998, 5 July 1999)

so with Peel Session 1 being broadcast in '95, that gives us three different dates. i haven't heard of this 1998 date, perhaps it's the first one broadcast again? or could it be more unheard material?

The 1998 looks like it was a live cut of Tilapia:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/1990s/1998/Jun20autechre/

20/06/1998 - Autechre

TX - 30/01/1998

Producer - Andrew Rogers

Engineer - Simon Askew

Studio - Queen Ellizabeth Hall, London

TRACKLIST

Tilapia

...which leads to this, which is a little bit bonkers:

Archived