IGNORED

Zephyr Nova's drunken AMA

Zephyr_Nova

11 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

oh you're right. another instance of me analyzing stuff in C when we're in the key of A :facepalm:  what a fucking idiot lol

in rereading this, i realize this isn't even a valid excuse because the C whole/half scale contains a minor 3rd, and the 3rd is major in zeph's chord. i didn't even notice this mistake until now 

3 things i need to do from now on: stop mentally transposing everything to C, stop being so distracted and making careless mistakes, and start learning my scales. oh and stop assuming i'm good at music theory, because i'm clearly not lol. dunning-kruger'd 

ok i'm done talking about theory for real this time

15 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

in rereading this, i realize this isn't even a valid excuse because the C whole/half scale contains a minor 3rd, and the 3rd is major in zeph's chord. i didn't even notice this mistake until now 

3 things i need to do from now on: stop mentally transposing everything to C, stop being so distracted and making careless mistakes, and start learning my scales. oh and stop assuming i'm good at music theory, because i'm clearly not lol. dunning-kruger'd 

ok i'm done talking about theory for real this time

Autism rocks! ?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Plum said:

Top or bottom?

Whichever you need.

Apologies all for not returning drunk last night, as promised.  I did indeed get very drunk, but was with a real live human the whole time, and quite distracted.  I will answer toaoaoad's answers later when this brain fog finally lifts.

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

On 3/20/2021 at 7:11 PM, toaoaoad said:

What does the name Zephyr_Nova mean to you? 

Since we're nerding out on music, what's your own musical background, education etc? 

Do you think it's weird that on an international music forum (and a pretty "niche" one) there are somehow three of us from the same relatively small city? 

Zephyr Nova was a random phrase that popped into my head when I was trying to figure out a name for my electronic music.  I like that if you rotate the Z it turns into the N - works good for logos (not that I ever came up with one).  Sounds aesthetically pleasing to my ear.

Musical background... some piano lessons in elementary school.  Age 9 I listened to my brother's Guns 'n' Roses - Use Your Illusion I cassette on my walkman, while sitting on the landing in the sun, following along with the lyrics.  By the end of the album I knew I wanted to do that.  So I started imagining songs and writing them down in a word document for fun.  Had written ~70 of them by the time I finally picked up a guitar and began teaching myself to play (maybe a year later).  At first I mostly barred down the E and A strings to emulate power chords, and wrote songs that way.  They were mostly imitating Nirvana, Metallica, and Pearl Jam.  Recorded those onto cassette with this cheap stereo we had.  The following year (grade 6) a kid I knew from choir invited me to come meet this other kid he knew who also played guitar/drums and wrote songs.  He just so happened to live maybe 5 houses up the street from me.  His brother could sort of play bass, so the first time I went over there we were jamming on maybe 10 songs.  I played drums on his songs, guitar/vocals for my own, and vica versa.  That band remained together for roughly 10 years.  For part of that time I was also recording industrial rock stuff on a Tascam 4 track (got really into NIN and Ministry).  Grade 12 I finally acquired some music software (Fruity Loops) and started making electronic music, largely industrial influenced, but more melodic and complex than stuff typically associated with that genre.  Then a couple different friends turned me on to Aphex Twin/Autechre/Squarepusher etc... which was a bit closer in style to what I was working on.  Between then and now I've explored quite a few different genres of music, sometimes in bands, sometimes on my own.  So in summation: piano lessons, choir, self-taught guitar/songwriting/recording, playing in bands.

Goiter Sanchez was from here originally too, and I know three other people who also used to post here from Vic.  Oh, and of course Essines!  Possibly being on an island without much of a "scene" makes us more inclined to join an online music forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you sit or stand to pee?

Cats or dogs?

Do you enjoy sushi? If so, do you go for classic rolls, specialty rolls, cones, or sashimi (what’s your favourite?).

Banjo or kazoo?

Whats your favourite shittyflute track?

Favourite alcoholic beverage?

Ever listen to manowar and jack off into fire?

• Like 1

Do you sit or stand to pee?

I usually pee in the shower, or outside my cabin.  But if I use a toilet I sit because I'm not a savage.  (My god... so many piss splattered floors/seats at other peoples' homes/public urinals).

Cats or dogs?

Ugh... I grew up with cats, and I like how you can just pick them up and how they purr when they're content.  But I also know their love is an illusion, and if I were to die tomorrow no cat would give a fuck except insofar as I might potentially stop feeding them.  They're users.  Whereas a dog will love me more than a person will.  That shit's real.  Yet I buy into the cat delusion when they're purring in my lap.  And they're so fucking cute it hurts.  So... dogs are objectively better, yet I'm still partial to cats.  I prefer both to people, because they're completely unpretentious (the cats 'n' dogs, obviously, you fucking posers).

Do you enjoy sushi? If so, do you go for classic rolls, specialty rolls, cones, or sashimi (what’s your favourite?).

I hate california rolls, and anything with fake crab.  Spicy Tuna roll is where it's at.

Banjo or kazoo?

I have yet to use a kazoo in a recording, so it would be hypocritical of me to not go with banjo.

Whats your favourite shittyflute track?

Favourite alcoholic beverage?

I'm drinking a Field House Brewing "Dark Sour" Blackberry + Blueberry right now, so that is my favourite alcoholic beverage at present.

Ever listen to manowar and jack off into fire?

No, and this is my greatest regret.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

this is merely an alert to let you know i have responded to your inquiries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stickfigger said:

Did the Gods pee sitting down or standing up @Zephyr_Nova?

As an aside, I collabed with the GS!YBE guitarist against his will, because my bandmate recorded her solo album with him, and I later made electronic arrangements of her solo songs, one of which used cello and xylophone from his recording.  Shhhhh!

• Farnsworth 1

I'm afriad it's going to have to be Autechre.  Confield, Gantz Graf, Draft 7.30 and Untilted are all near masterpieces for me.  Confield has a couple spots that are perhaps a shade shy of masterpiece.  Whereas Aphex albums always have moments of greatness, but come off as compilations rather than cohesive albums.  Prob my two biggest influences for electronic music, alongside early NIN and Depeche Mode.

• Thanks 1

Yes! a rather delightful read Zephyr Nova with my morning coffee. I spied your comment about Slayer on the William Basinkski thread (a thread I wisely decided to keep out of ?)

So a nice simple but fun question for you. Please rate Slayer albums out of 10 in chronological order, and feel free to add any comments or anecdotes. Thank you ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Yes! a rather delightful read Zephyr Nova with my morning coffee. I spied your comment about Slayer on the William Basinkski thread (a thread I wisely decided to keep out of ?)

So a nice simple but fun question for you. Please rate Slayer albums out of 10 in chronological order, and feel free to add any comments or anecdotes. Thank you ?

Glad you've been enjoying my BS!  I will need to relisten to each Slayer album to give a fair assessment, but I recall Seasons in the Abyss and Christ Illusion being favourites.  Both have many great, memorable songs and riffs.  In the meantime, I have uploaded this track I made in 2011 comprised entirely of Slayer samples for you:

I am also wearing my God Hates Us All shirt today, as it turns out.  Must be Kerry King's birthday or something.

• Thanks 1