IGNORED

AFX - MTS-ESP Suite (ODDSound x AFX collab)

Rubin Farr

Bitwig has this kind of built in btw:

Makes more sense to implement this in the daw so you do not have to update all plugins to support it

• Like 1

this is an instant buy for me. to be able to edit the tables that quickly is mind blowing. i've scratched my head with scala for years, had a few bits of hardware like the tbx-1 and the tubbutec mutune, i've tried some of the maxforlive patches but nothing ties it all together like this. just wish it could take a reference pitch from say a drifty oscillator and adjust accordingly. otherwise, im giddy as hell.

• Like 1

they said on twitter that some sort of scale detection from audio recordings is high on their list for future additions! that would be really nice for me! 

• Like 1

Just wanted to post a brief update here/plug for Oddsound. Oli over there spent the last few days helping me troubleshoot to get this working with Live 10 and, after a lot of back and forth, I'm up and running! I really can't say enough good things about how patient, kind, helpful, and willing he was to help me work this out (a bit of issue w/ the way the Max4live was calling to the midi plugin). Extremely excited to start digging in on some music making with this - it really does make it super easy to just tune a scale your own whims and instantly apply it across instruments. 

It's the tits. Also, one thing that he passed along that might be of use to people here: https://www.midimood.com/product/pluchain/ This allows you to combine a midi device and a midi VST into one device - this is super handy in Live, because it disallows two midi devices on one track. So, for example, if you wanted to have Scaler + Reaktor in one track (rather than routing midi between tracks), this will do the trick. 

Happy music making all!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Just wanted to post a brief update here/plug for Oddsound. Oli over there spent the last few days helping me troubleshoot to get this working with Live 10 and, after a lot of back and forth, I'm up and running! I really can't say enough good things about how patient, kind, helpful, and willing he was to help me work this out (a bit of issue w/ the way the Max4live was calling to the midi plugin). Extremely excited to start digging in on some music making with this - it really does make it super easy to just tune a scale your own whims and instantly apply it across instruments. 

It's the tits. Also, one thing that he passed along that might be of use to people here: https://www.midimood.com/product/pluchain/ This allows you to combine a midi device and a midi VST into one device - this is super handy in Live, because it disallows two midi devices on one track. So, for example, if you wanted to have Scaler + Reaktor in one track (rather than routing midi between tracks), this will do the trick. 

Happy music making all!

Can you automate the individual tuning of the notes without needing to do it manually if you wanna change a note? Like if you wanna change a key using it instead of midi.

Edited by Brisbot

11 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Can you automate the individual tuning of the notes without needing to do it manually if you wanna change a note? Like if you wanna change a key using it instead of midi.

Hey! Can you explain the question a little bit more? I think I know what you mean but I'm not sure. 

The way the system works is, there is a "master" plugin that holds the scale information that you would transmit to all your synths and whatnot. Within that master plugin, you can load of scale presets (they bundle quite a few) - but you can ALSO (and this is where I get excited) manually tune individual notes to whatever you want them to be. The client midi plugin receives this and applies it to your synth on the back end in realtime. For example, I could have, say, Serum open and be playing a note, switch back to the master plugin and start messing with note tunings, and the changes are heard immediately. Any other synth is likewise "retuned"

Some synths (like Serum) actually don't even need to the midi client plugin, they automagically can connect with the MTS master plugin without the middle step. 

Prob doesn't answer your question tho? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, T3551ER said:

Hey! Can you explain the question a little bit more? I think I know what you mean but I'm not sure. 

The way the system works is, there is a "master" plugin that holds the scale information that you would transmit to all your synths and whatnot. Within that master plugin, you can load of scale presets (they bundle quite a few) - but you can ALSO (and this is where I get excited) manually tune individual notes to whatever you want them to be. The client midi plugin receives this and applies it to your synth on the back end in realtime. For example, I could have, say, Serum open and be playing a note, switch back to the master plugin and start messing with note tunings, and the changes are heard immediately. Any other synth is likewise "retuned"

Some synths (like Serum) actually don't even need to the midi client plugin, they automagically can connect with the MTS master plugin without the middle step. 

Prob doesn't answer your question tho? 

I just asked FXbip and he said that you can basically automate between keys... between notes.. etc. Like if you have two keys that co-relate to each other as different keys in a scale, then you can automate between those two keys in the  scale.

Ahhh, kk, good stuff. Also, just been messing around with the macros and whatnot was able to tie macros->pitchbend->expose this as an automatable parameter in Live. 

image.png

image.png

just bcuz aphex is into microtuning doesn't mean you have to be too, you can also go with snare rushes or aphex acid, you don't need to do go full demented circus clown nightmare. Just make some nice sounding melodies and add a structure and you'll get further than 90% of electronic musicians.

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

On 4/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, Rubin Farr said:

love that gif lol

also, I scrolled down after that article and saw another story about a Nils Frahm release with the following quote that I thought was interesting:

In an interview with The Independentpublished today, Frahm shared his thoughts on NFTs. He said, “Some of my heroes like Aphex Twin are selling, sorry, crap for 130,000 bucks… It’s unforgivable to participate in something which is so bleak and wrong.”

• Like 2