IGNORED

random harmony tips

brian trageskin

45 minutes ago, cern said:

Btw I play bass tones in F-Major with chords on top.. 

What harmony goes along with that? 

it's unclear to me what it is you'd like to know. care to be more specific?

Edited by brian trageskin

@cern i was being serious btw, your question is pretty vague and ambiguous. maybe you could post your bassline and ask a more specific question, that would help. as is, all i can say is, play whatever diatonic chords from the F major scale and call it a day. lol

3 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

@cern i was being serious btw, your question is pretty vague and ambiguous. maybe you could post your bassline and ask a more specific question, that would help. as is, all i can say is, play whatever diatonic chords from the F major scale and call it a day. lol

"Conly" is when I play C-6 and then C-6 again. (FIRST SOUND FILE)

"2C" is when I combine two C-6 togheter and follow up with two C-6 again. (SECOND SOUND FILE)

"CwD" I do the same as "2C" BUT I play a D#7 and a F#6 just after. (THIRD SOUND FILE)

Can you hear it? 

Is it better to combine C6 with C7 or C5 for a nice Harmony? 

I want some harmony of this.. Can you give me some nice advice? That would be awesome. 

Edited by cern

assuming you're not a troll:

i'm not trying to be mean or condescending but dude, your question and explanations make no sense. apparently you don't know the difference between melody and harmony, and you're obsessed with indicating the octaves for some reason, when it's completely irrelevant - plus your indications are wrong lol.

my 1st advice to you: don't even try naming the notes/chords/whatever you come up with, you have literally no idea what you're talking about. it's ok, you just need to learn the basics. 2nd advice: learn the basics. by that i mean, you need to understand what a tonal center is (tonality), what a scale is, what a diatonic chord/melody is. 

your chord "progression" is in F minor btw, not F major. you need to learn the basics. and please stop with the octave/register shit, it's completely irrelevant here.

• Facepalm 1

On 3/19/2022 at 4:28 AM, xox said:

lol never forget? but you'll probably never understand it either ... unfortunately!

i say unfortunately bc imo it's the key for deeper knowledge about art in general and consequently some other important things

Could you at least try to explain the time bending part of that post you made? Maybe with an example? Do you mean something along the lines of shortening and lengthening different sections of time to make it "musical"? For example making a montage scene in a film is cutting out (shortening) lengths of time in the "real world" of the story so that the remaining parts all happen in rapid succession in a rhythmic way. Thats my best guess.

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

please xox do explain how music curves spacetime and how spacetime itself = will smith²

i'm interested.

Noooo… No, I prefer you the way you are!

Spoiler

:trollface:

On 3/21/2022 at 3:05 AM, vkxwz said:

Could you at least try to explain the time bending part of that post you made? Maybe with an example? Do you mean something along the lines of shortening and lengthening different sections of time to make it "musical"? For example making a montage scene in a film is cutting out (shortening) lengths of time in the "real world" of the story so that the remaining parts all happen in rapid succession in a rhythmic way. Thats my best guess.

Sorry man but i have no interest to talk about atm!

but based on your posts imo you already have everything you need to make great art!

…something i can’t say about Brian! ?

Spoiler

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, xox said:

…something i can’t say about Brian! ?

i literally came up with the greatest chord progression of all time (page 2). 

49 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

Who is Pat Metheny ?

the boss. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

i literally came up with the greatest chord progression of all time (page 2). 

haha this made me curious, so I gave your chords a go. honestly man, those are way too many chords for a simpleton like me. I'm a 1 to 3 chord kind of person. simple shit, y'know?

but a serious 1st world problem I am having atm is my left hand for some reason or other always automatically defaults TO PLAYING A FUCKING G CHORD!!!!! I can't stop this. it's like some weird muscle memory thing. I'm not even a big fan of G. Brian HELP!!!!!!

1 hour ago, zero said:

haha this made me curious, so I gave your chords a go. honestly man, those are way too many chords for a simpleton like me. I'm a 1 to 3 chord kind of person. simple shit, y'know?

those aren't that hard to play, you just need to play half the notes with one hand and the other half with the other hand (duh). if you don't know what fingers to use, that means you need to learn basic fingerings. it's not that hard, you just need practice.

1 hour ago, zero said:

but a serious 1st world problem I am having atm is my left hand for some reason or other always automatically defaults TO PLAYING A FUCKING G CHORD!!!!! I can't stop this. it's like some weird muscle memory thing. I'm not even a big fan of G. Brian HELP!!!!!!

there are many solutions to this. for example you could learn the same voicing in all 12 keys, and decide in what key you're gonna play it before even touching the keyboard.

one efficient way to learn a voicing in all keys is to use the circle of 5ths. if you don't know what that means, basically play your G chord, then the next chord is the same voicing but transposed up a perfect 5th, repeat. so the next chord is D, then A, E, B, etc. or you can play the chord that's a perfect 4th above (circle of 4ths). so G, then C, F, Bb, Eb, etc. this way you can build muscle memory in all 12 keys, which is the goal. 

another solution is to learn other voicings for a G chord. i hope you do realize that any chord can be played in a number of different ways. for example, if you play G Bb D for a G minor chord (G minor in root position), try the different inversions (1st inversion: Bb D G, 2nd inversion: D G Bb), or try this voicing: G D Bb (1 5 b3 instead of 1 b3 5 - you can even remove the 5th from that voicing for a more sophisticated). or you could play a G minor 7 voicing, like G Bb F for instance (this is called a shell voicing, you just play the root , the 3rd and the 7th - very much used in jazz). or you could play a bunch of rootless voicings like a true jazz wizard lol.

27 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

those aren't that hard to play, you just need to play half the notes with one hand and the other half with the other hand (duh). if you don't know what fingers to use, that means you need to learn basic fingerings. it's not that hard, you just need practice.

there are many solutions to this. for example you could learn the same voicing in all 12 keys, and decide in what key you're gonna play it before even touching the keyboard.

one efficient way to learn a voicing in all keys is to use the circle of 5ths. if you don't know what that means, basically play your G chord, then the next chord is the same voicing but transposed up a perfect 5th, repeat. so the next chord is D, then A, E, B, etc. or you can play the chord that's a perfect 4th above (circle of 4ths). so G, then C, F, Bb, Eb, etc. this way you can build muscle memory in all 12 keys, which is the goal. 

another solution is to learn other voicings for a G chord. i hope you do realize that any chord can be played in a number of different ways. for example, if you play G Bb D for a G minor chord (G minor in root position), try the different inversions (1st inversion: Bb D G, 2nd inversion: D G Bb), or try this voicing: G D Bb (1 5 b3 instead of 1 b3 5 - you can even remove the 5th from that voicing for a more sophisticated). or you could play a G minor 7 voicing, like G Bb F for instance (this is called a shell voicing, you just play the root , the 3rd and the 7th - very much used in jazz). or you could play a bunch of rootless voicings like a true jazz wizard lol.

thanks. I'm sure you're aware the streams are being crossed in this thread of shitposting and being serious. yeah I was serious about the G chord, but shitposting about needing help. I am a 100% hobbyist keyboard noodler attempting to get back into making music after many years on the bench. all my knowledge of chords, notes, scales, 5ths or what not, come from playing guitar, which is my primary instrument.

I get what you've been saying for awhile now that turning to music theory can certainly help if you're stuck in a rut. but IMO it all depends on what you're trying to get out of this. I've always been of the opinion that there's no need to get too mechanical when it comes to musical creativity. just power everything up and see what comes out of you. but yeah, realistically that usually results in a riff or chord sequence that is fairly basic and ends up getting looped and then layers of other things added on top of it. and that is fine for what I am looking to do right now. just playing music as I've always done. some sort of outlet for feelings or emotions. the Tolstoy definition of "true" art vs. art made for commercial purposes. y'know like the music that comes out of you as being a canvass to express some emotion, in hopes that someone else out there will hear it and experience the same emotion as the person who created it. wanky stuff. wank.

• Like 1

that's cool and all but learning the language of music can really help you better express your snowflake emotions and such. "true" art can suck my balls. if you're happy babbling random shit on your guitar and calling it "true" art, that's fine. toddlers enjoy doing the same with their mouth and we don't call that art but that's fine. if however you wanna say specific things with your music, learning some vocabulary and shit is not gonna hurt. but you do you. please indulge yourself with your lame-ass riffs and pretend you're a "true" artist with a profound vision and shit. enjoy.

Spoiler

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

that's cool and all but learning the language of music can really help you better express your snowflake emotions and such. "true" art can suck my balls. if you're happy babbling random shit on your guitar and calling it "true" art, that's fine. toddlers enjoy doing the same with their mouth and we don't call that art but that's fine. if however you wanna say specific things with your music, learning some vocabulary and shit is not gonna hurt. but you do you. please indulge yourself with your lame-ass riffs and pretend you're a "true" artist with a profound vision and shit. enjoy.

Hide contents

Are u ever going to put all this knawledge  to good use a give us kind of blue 2 ?

Does anyone here see color when listening to music? like that  synesthesia stuff.

Edited by Wunderbar