IGNORED

Drexciya - Neptune's Lair [Tresor]

Sad to see there's apparently a lot of drama around these Tresor reissues, mostly between Abdul Haqq and Stinsons widow. Iircs, she got him to stop with the comics (he's used the Drexciya world for his comics, taking their intellectual property, but with the approval of Gerald Donald), while he is saying how she made Tresor stop sell Drexciya as punishment for helping him with the novel. 

image.png

Now Tresor changed the artwork, which may or may not be approved by Donald, the only living member of Drexciya? 

image.png

I can see both points, and both posted on facebook (underneath posts from Research Lab), but obviously no one benefits from this shit, most of all the Drexciya legacy. 

Glad I have all the records already anyway, will maybe pick up the Shifted Phases reissue though, only have that one on CD (with that wrong track on it).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Herr Jan said:

Sad to see there's apparently a lot of drama around these Tresor reissues, mostly between Abdul Haqq and Stinsons widow. Iircs, she got him to stop with the comics (he's used the Drexciya world for his comics, taking their intellectual property, but with the approval of Gerald Donald), while he is saying how she made Tresor stop sell Drexciya as punishment for helping him with the novel. 

image.png

Now Tresor changed the artwork, which may or may not be approved by Donald, the only living member of Drexciya? 

image.png

I can see both points, and both posted on facebook (underneath posts from Research Lab), but obviously no one benefits from this shit, most of all the Drexciya legacy. 

Glad I have all the records already anyway, will maybe pick up the Shifted Phases reissue though, only have that one on CD (with that wrong track on it).

Yeah, that is a shame. I remember reading about the conflict around the comics - think that was detailed in the Drexciya thread - but not on FB, so missed that this has been continuing.

Regardless of the drama, Matthew Angelo Harrison sounds like a good artist to get in for the reissue series

https://www.frieze.com/article/matthew-angelo-harrisons-prototypes-new-life

Bandcamp digitals can be downloaded straight away. Haven't listened, but i havent seen talk about remaster or anything. So i assume it's unchanged. And the tracklist is also the same. Bought it anyways because the digitals i had, were old and i needed better versions ? (i had the cd album as well, but my computer dont eat cd's anymore so ripping is too much of a hassle)

And i hate to say it guys, but artwork sschmartswork. Couldn't care less, really. I can understand the perspective of the artist, it's like your baby and all that good stuff. But personally, i only care about the sounds. Not interested in what your baby looks like. imsowwiebutnotreally

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herr Jan said:

Are there plans to reissue that one? That and Abstract Thought (which apparently will never happen) are the two I'd really love to have.

Apparently yeah its part of the reissue campaign. Probably a while off tho if theyre doing them in order. I only need Abstract Thought but don't hold out much hope.

Kinda surprised they're not doing Transllusion - L.I.F.E. Don't know what the legal setup is, I assume Stinson's family have the rights.

New artwork bit crap like Porter Ricks ones

Edited by Key

https://djmag.com/news/tresor-records-announces-drexciya-catalogue-special-edition-reissue

First up in the reissue series will be 'Neptune's Lair', out 2nd September and originally released by Stinson and Gerald Donald in 1999. The updated 'Hydro Doorways' single will arrive later that month. Following the September releases, the special editions will come out over the next six months: 'Harnessed The Storm' and 'Digital Tsunami' coming in November; the two 'Transllusion' records 'The Opening Of The Cerebral Gate' and single 'Mind Over Positive And Negative Dimensional Matter' in February 2023; and 'Shifted Phases - The Cosmic Memoirs Of The Late Great Rupert J. Rosinthrope' to close out the anniversary rereleases in March 2023. 

No Abstract Thought. Anyone know why this is unlikely to happen?

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.de8335f5034130cb7bd73021b5a3dca2.jpeg

"...you'd be holding, a CD of Hypothetical Situations in this hand, and in the other hand, you'd have WeTransfer..."

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

No Abstract Thought. Anyone know why this is unlikely to happen?

I believe the label owner of Kombination Research has made comments in the past about wanting to keep the record an exclusive, one time thing to help keep it mysterious/valuable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Key said:

I believe the label owner of Kombination Research has made comments in the past about wanting to keep the record an exclusive, one time thing to help keep it mysterious/valuable.

Probably sitting on 50 copies of new old stock, carefully eyeing the online prices.

The new artwork is absolute shit, btw.

Edited by psn

2 minutes ago, Key said:

• Haha 1