IGNORED

Weird image that popped up on Facebook

hoggy

Does anyone have a good faith interpretation of this thing that popped up on Facebook?? Who would make such a thing and why? It seems weird to say that everyone orbits kraftwerk.. but I often hear them mentioned as the originators of electronic music - but wasn't the radiophonic workshop doing stuff before that.. I don't know much of the history. Any good documentaries about that?

Obviously Aphex would be orbiting about 20 other suns, and be knocked slightly off-axis by hundreds of passing mini-planets... As would everyone else probably...

It's pretty cringeworthy obviously but how would you revise it? What's wrong with it, what's right?

FB_IMG_1688997644192.jpg

3 minutes ago, iococoi said:

all about making dough..

Was that from a Google image search? It just popped up as an image on mine without any context

Seems like the designer had some knowledge, but it's way over simplified, I wonder if they're a fan or it's literally purely surface level exploration for £££... I guess that's the most logical explanation. Still it's interesting to me to try to schematize the music you're into... For example I have two main threads in mine that got more noisy and weird as I got into more stuff - rock/metal/goth rave/braindance/extreme electronic, which both converge on noise & experimental. I always found it weird that there's not more stuff which is genuinely between the two threads. Maybe there is and I just don't know about it.

I wonder if you guys have similarly divided schemas or all music is part of one thing to you

7 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Needed to be a star chart a bit like this - http://music.ishkur.com/

This is a nice one, I always love to discover the names of obscure, niche subgenres within electronic music. "Filthy Electrohouse" for example, wtf is this? Subgenres are obviously artificial constructs but still useful imo to quickly discover new "galaxies", as your FB designer seem to employ this metaphor!

• Like 1

Yeah I had some fun browsing around version 2 of Ishkur's guide - I should give the new one a bit more time - I feel like we are a little bit past the subgenre obsession these days, no? I remember when dubstep was big, I feel everyone was trying to create the next lucrative genre of electronic music - maybe they still are and I have just lost touch with what's going on now

54 minutes ago, hoggy said:

I feel like we are a little bit past the subgenre obsession these days, no? I

Yeah agreed - continuing the galaxy analogy I feel a majority of the subgenres have now collapsed in on themselves and become a big musical black hole of ideas all mushed together

• Like 1

This planet image gives me a weird 2000s vibe when you could not find music via bandcamp but had to rely on interactive flash infographics that tried to map all successful indie artists into one page but always felt a bit dated

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, o00o said:

This planet image gives me a weird 2000s vibe when you could not find music via bandcamp but had to rely on interactive flash infographics that tried to map all successful indie artists into one page but always felt a bit dated

You find music via bandcamp? Like, by looking at who their supporters like? I never considered that

I just look who buys the stuff I buy or like and follow them if we have the same vibe. People who buy music are also much more serious about their stuff than people that just stream

you can also see how many purchases you share which gives another interesting clue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, o00o said:

I just look who buys the stuff I buy or like and follow them if we have the same vibe. People who buy music are also much more serious about their stuff than people that just stream

you can also see how many purchases you share which gives another interesting clue. 

this could be an awesome way to avoid professional curators and algorithm black holes!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoggy said:

this could be an awesome way to avoid professional curators and algorithm black holes!

I never trust these. the best combination is to look up some DJs on soundcloud you like and follow who they follow. then you extract tracks from dj sets on soundcloud or better directly during you being there when they play in clubs  and then follow people that buy these tracks on bandcamp. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, taphead said:

Why is Bjork an asteroid field?

Maybe she's meant to be floating around the system but not directly connected?

Why is Delia Derbyshire a comet?

4 hours ago, o00o said:

yeah i've found tons of cool shit like this...i follow almost 900 artists/labels/fans...i'm pretty sure at least half of that number are just fans who buy cool shit i'm sometimes into.

Bandcamp's algorithm will occasionally recommend new fans who buy things you've bought, but not in an overwhelming way (if you buy a popular thing that has hundreds of other buyers, it won't suggest hundreds of fans)...usually it's a thing like this: 

image.thumb.png.7fe2d064fef9d8f1d386556f6cc8171e.png

essentially, 'here's a specific thing you bought and this other person just bought it and also they have other stuff in common'

.... it's what i would deem a 'good' algorithm for discovery. i fully expect Epic to ruin it any day now.

oh and that original image is trash but at least there's some good convo because of it.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, o00o said:

Same here. I get "somebody bought something they found while browsing your collection" messages once in a while, so I'd guess it works?

7 hours ago, taphead said:

Why is Bjork an asteroid field?

Edited by aencre
  • Like 2

how the fuck does Can orbit Kraftwerk. this thing was just made to annoy people and draw attention (so mission accomplished, I guess).

Edited by usagi
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 4:33 PM, hoggy said:

It seems weird to say that everyone orbits kraftwerk.. but I often hear them mentioned as the originators of electronic music - but wasn't the radiophonic workshop doing stuff before that..

I think you might be misreading this as a sort of "evolution of electronic music" chart, but I don't think it is, seems to me like it is more about cultural impact. It can often be irrelevant who did what first, what often matters more is who used it effectively in terms of reach; How many people have become aware of it? In how many minds is a certain technique linked to a certain artist? This isn't my personal approach to music, but cultural impact isn't automatically the same as who-was-here-first. 

It's also very hard to say where Electronic Music came from. Futurists(not even electronic yet, but dreaming of it)? Oskar Sala? Stockhausen? I have no answer to this. Actually I do: Electronic Music doesn't come from a single point of origin. It's simply music, but done with means that weren't available for the largest part of human history. It's part of the overall continuum of music.

So much for the good faith interpretation.

Here's a bad faith one: It's just a meme. And we're already spending more time thinking about it than the artist did while doing this thing. Which is still fun.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:42 PM, auxien said:

yeah i've found tons of cool shit like this...i follow almost 900 artists/labels/fans...i'm pretty sure at least half of that number are just fans who buy cool shit i'm sometimes into.

Bandcamp's algorithm will occasionally recommend new fans who buy things you've bought, but not in an overwhelming way (if you buy a popular thing that has hundreds of other buyers, it won't suggest hundreds of fans)...usually it's a thing like this: 

image.thumb.png.7fe2d064fef9d8f1d386556f6cc8171e.png

essentially, 'here's a specific thing you bought and this other person just bought it and also they have other stuff in common'

.... it's what i would deem a 'good' algorithm for discovery. i fully expect Epic to ruin it any day now.

oh and that original image is trash but at least there's some good convo because of it.

Bandcamp could make a lot of improvements with discoverability, it's clunky and time consuming, but that being said, I've found a lot of great music after following another fan account. 

For some of the lowkey releases I'll check any accounts in the Supported By section. Items in common will always raise my interest to see what the overlap is. I'll look for familiar artists, things in my Wishlist, covers that catch my eye or just take a random selection. Time consuming, but it usually elicits good results. 

Seeing a Booyakasha email coming in or knowing you've likely triggered one, is always a good feeling. 

_________

The solar system image is bunkum, but if it makes a person check out some of the artists on there then cool.  

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 2

Arts and crafts time WATMM. Everybody make your own electronic music solar system. Be sure to use lots of glitter and macaroni. 

Edited by YEK
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, YEK said:

Arts and crafts time WATMM. Everybody make your own electronic music solar system. Be sure to use lots of glitter and macaroni. 

I never understood why Americans get their kids to make macaroni pictures - seems like such a bad medium, bad colours, doesn't sit comfortably on paper, the glue will make it all lumpy. Glitter also sucks tbh.. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere