IGNORED

Autechre Live 2024

Neurodancer

15 minutes ago, cern said:

Whoa very well done recorded! 

During both gigs, I sat in the very center, holding my iPhone very carefully. Unfortunately, had to poke away two idiots in Paris in the beginning.

7 minutes ago, Turbo Zwanengestuif said:

Just as a consumer. Do you have a DL link?

You can download Paris from Soundcloud. Will send you the Rennes link in a moment. 

Posted (edited)

ae in live settings abandoned melodies altogether; you can hear a fraze or two but zero melodies 

sean pls wherez yo accordion?! 

p.s. maybe they want their albums and live sets to differ as much as possible

Edited by xox
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3
  • Facepalm 2
  • Farnsworth 1

Posted (edited)

Just wondering about the name AE_LIVE 2022–

We have AE_LIVE and AE_LIVE 2016/2018

Will it eventually be AE_LIVE 2022/2031 (section _A _B till _Z)?

(and it would make more sense if AE_LIVE becomes AE_LIVE 2014/2015)

Edited by Turbo Zwanengestuif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the guys have a big break now from touring and starting again on Late September-October this year right?

Last Soundboard recording we got was the Live sets from 2022, Fucking hell that was long time ago!  

Can we please just get 1 soundboard recording from last year? Just something would be nice! That Sydney set sounds dope. 
Feels like all they do is start working on new material but never releases the old finished tracks+soundboard recordings.. Why are they so stuck? 

Sean? Rob? 

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 1:13 PM, cern said:

Last Soundboard recording we got was the Live sets from 2022, Fucking hell that was long time ago!  

Those just came out last summer lol not really a long time ago at all. We're just used to being spoiled :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by toaoaoad

On 5/31/2024 at 4:01 AM, xox said:

ae in live settings abandoned melodies altogether; you can hear a fraze or two but zero melodies 

sean pls wherez yo accordion?! 

p.s. maybe they want their albums and live sets to differ as much as possible

Sorry for the facepalm xox but I have to lol whenever anybody talks about ae and "melody". There's melody all over the place and always has been. I think lots of fans (or self proclaimed ex-fans) are looking for something more specific than the word "melody" by itself can convey, and it's probably different from person to person. And I think lots of people don't actually know what they want when they say new ae isn't "melodic", they are just upset that the music confuses them. Could be useful to expand your musical vocabulary if u really gotta beef about it. Or just give it ten years or so :dadjoke:

fwiw imo I think the only time the live set had a strong contrast to the album material was Oversteps tour, otherwise the paral(lel)s are pretty clear imo.

• Like 3

This review lol

Spoiler

It was the worst concert of more than hundred I have been to.

The duo started out anonymously half an hours later they were supposed to. Rob Hall had to come out and play twice, I guess, because Autechre were late. While Autechre were performing, it was completely dark in the hall. At first, I thought it was sort of a sound-check or an intro. However, I realized soon that this is the way it should be. What they played was just a bunch of random sounds, with no rhythm and no melodies whatsoever. It felt as if there was a baby sitting somewhere playing with a newly discovered musical gear by pushing buttons and turning knobs without any understanding of what s(he) is doing. It went like that for nearly 45 minutes (even less that each of the 'guest' musicians played). Autechre didn't even bother to say 'hi' or 'bye', let alone 'thank you' to the audience.

I feel I was laughed by the duo, the concert agency and the venue, who did not indicate that the performance is going to be done in complete darkness and very short.

Very disappointed. I wish I stayed at home.

• Haha 5
  • Farnsworth 1

On 6/1/2024 at 4:13 PM, cern said:

The recordings were from 2022, but their release was less than a year ago, August 10th of 2023. So it's really not been what I would call a long time.

That said, there is quite a bit more diversity in what they've been doing live since, so the 2023 + 2024 soundboards would go a long way. With the next live dates beginning at the very end of September, I kind of suspect that we'll get everything performed thus far at some point this summer or heading into the next round of shows.

• Like 3

Yeah I don't want to throw shit on the guys ofc.. Just a crazy fan that always wants more AE! 

Well sometimes Im a bit curios about the process of these soundboards. Remember when it all went wrong for them in Finland? 
That particular soundboard went up pretty fast after the gig.. I don't remember how many days/weeks but it went up. 
I wonder how many of the 2023-2024 sets they have finished mastered. 

Maybe Warp is messing things up.. I blame Warp for everything now! 

2 hours ago, cern said:

Well sometimes Im a bit curios about the process of these soundboards. Remember when it all went wrong for them in Finland? 
That particular soundboard went up pretty fast after the gig.. I don't remember how many days/weeks but it went up. 

I believe the helsinki fiasco was a failure of the sound system not anything on their end, which is why the recording itself sounds fine. The original copy of that soundboard went out quickly to ticketholders who had been at the show and had to endure the sound issues, to appease anyone who wanted a refund or whatever. That recording was raw from the board and hadn't been mastered or anything. Remember it was pretty bass-heavy and unbalanced. I believe I've seen talk around here that they have new/updated recording equipment now that the soundboards are consistently intended for release. Sean has said they like to give proper time and attention to the mastering, but aside from that I agree that it is most likely warp slowing things down. Last year there was the silly aphex parade that had to die down before the AE_LIVE stuff could be released, although the material was announced as being finished months prior to that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, cern said:

Yeah I don't want to throw shit on the guys ofc.. Just a crazy fan that always wants more AE! 

Maybe Warp is messing things up.. I blame Warp for everything now! 

I kind of suspect they're just spacing things out rather than anything's having been messed up. If they drop the 2023 & first half of 2024 sets in August, a year out from the 2022 drop, that would seem sensible.

Remember that a lot fans basically complained that elseq, NTS, AE_LIVE, etc., were too monumental, imposing, overwhelming, indigestible, etc., at their scale / length. I didn't feel this way at all, and I doubt that you did, but it was a pretty common view.

My appetite for new Autechre also wasn't really satiated by the initial "2022-" drop, but that's mostly because I wasn't super-enthralled by the material contained in the initial sets. It, in a way that I don't think any Autechre has before, kind of made me feel on edge or accentuated an already anxiety-laden stretch of existence for me. I think it's really interesting, and I'm glad we have it, but I doubt that it will ever be top-tier Ae for me. Some of the newer sets, on the other hand, are hitting really nicely.

Edited by mTesc
  • Like 4

i'm not sure if anyone saw it but sean said on mastodon a couple of weeks ago that they are hoping to have them out for 2024. he made some post about izotope rx which had someone thinking that he might be finalizing the sets, sean replied to that saying no but they plan to get them out later this year though "no promises". i don't have a screenshot or anything to prove this but maybe it's been archived.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 10:41 PM, toaoaoad said:

Sorry for the facepalm xox but I have to lol whenever anybody talks about ae and "melody". There's melody all over the place and always has been. I think lots of fans (or self proclaimed ex-fans) are looking for something more specific than the word "melody" by itself can convey, and it's probably different from person to person. And I think lots of people don't actually know what they want when they say new ae isn't "melodic", they are just upset that the music confuses them. Could be useful to expand your musical vocabulary if u really gotta beef about it. Or just give it ten years or so :dadjoke:

fwiw imo I think the only time the live set had a strong contrast to the album material was Oversteps tour, otherwise the paral(lel)s are pretty clear imo.

Yo, toao! No need for apologies! If you think that my shit deserves a facepalm just go for it! 😉

I was half joking but i do think that the ratio of percussive vs melodic elements in the recent live materials favors percussions much more than in the previous seasons, especially if we would compare it to 1990-2000 live material, or with 2005-2008 material and even vs 2014 live sets. And i can’t say that 2024 sets resemble their last album material very much. I understand that some ppl would say that even a chromatically tuned kicks and claps can be considered as a melodic line but i wouldn’t go that far in this case

Edited by xox
  • Farnsworth 1

Posted (edited)

I've actually got more out of the 2022 sets than previous live releases - London B is top tier stuff, and although the middle stretch of the A set can be a real chore there's still great stuff in there.

Funny really because I did not enjoy hearing it live at all for similar reasons as above (saw London A at the Barbican) - too anxiety inducing, and played at a volume that reduced everything to mush.

New sets are sounding super promising though - I reckon they'll run through the last few dates at the end of the year then release another batch.

Edited by danshoebridge

10 hours ago, danshoebridge said:

I reckon they'll run through the last few dates at the end of the year then release another batch.

No, they'll put out the soundboards on summer and play new sets in autumn.

By the way, I wonder how Nil's negotiations for the Lyon bootleg distribution rights are going...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Big Brain 1

Posted (edited)

For anyone interested, I’m selling a 2024 live Ae beans t-shirt. I can send it to you anywhere. The size is L.

Edit : sold

IMG_1576.png

Edited by zaizai

18 hours ago, zaizai said:

For anyone interested, I’m selling a 2024 live Ae beans t-shirt. I can send it to you anywhere. The size is L.

IMG_1576.thumb.png.5bcc5be26b9ca074bcae100647802bb9.pngHmu !

how does it sound?

• Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1

6 hours ago, ignatius said:

how does it sound?

Like every beans digested , farts

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 2