IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

yeah don't buy a software spring reverb, you can easily find spring reverbs on old mixers and stand alone units for around $100. not to mention that several freeware spring reverb plugins for the PC exist

virtual spring reverbs are just one of those things that aren't there yet in terms of recreating the real sound.

Got any recommendations as to what I should look out for?

• 1 month later...
I want to play your organ... No that is not a sexual innuendo
is that organ one of those e70's? how programmable is it? also how is that vermona reverb?

The organ is an e70 and has a really great sound to it. It's essentially 2x 7 note polyphonic preset synths w/appregiator and leslie speaker, a 2 octave mono bass synth and a cheesy rhythm machine. The programming is pretty basic, there's a brightness setting for each section that controls filter frequency and a subtle overall brilliance setting that controls global eq, the envelope controls consist of a sustain parameter which controls note release time and there is a celeste control which adds a sort of chorus effect. You can store 3 alterations of the presets via a switch matrix that slides out. I believe the architecture is very similar to the CS80, but without a ring modulator and also the oscillators are a sort of digital wavetable type.

What makes this even more attractive is that there is a pretty strong online community of people that have modified them, adding control for all the synth parameters etc. I believe some have even figured out ways of adding midi and velocity/aftertouch to them. I've been to preoccupied and lazy to modify mine yet, ...hopefully this month.

At $500CDN it was a real bargain and I believe that is a pretty standard price for them. If you can find one and have the means of moving the beast (300lbs and large) I really recommend it.

I have mixed feelings about the reverb... It's my first experience with a springverb and at first I found it difficult to find a good application for it. It's definitely nicer with midrange and treble dominant instruments, I find the bass gets really muddy and confused. I really like it on mono lead stuff.

If I was to go back I think I would have waited for a Fisher K10 to come up on Ebay as they are roughly half as much. Although I really don't have any idea how those perform, except that King Tubby was fond of them. It might be that I'm just not used to spring reverb in general and have to warm to it a little more.

yes, nice place DerWaschbar !

here is mine

DSI Tetra

Moog SlimPhatty

Kawai SX210

Mackie Mixer

AKG K240 Studio

old TV

Launchpad

Akai MPK49

Korg PadKontrol

and various other things

20120219-ead5kgg4mn67y2gaessk7w53t6.jpg

20120219-ej9yejxn55g765nmubcqpgfaps.jpg

20120219-n18k3hwbmhm3tsucceypj1j1cb.jpg

Man, I'm really digging those sexy speakers. Did you make them?

Thanks, I really love them as well. It's actually one of my firends who does this sort of things. It's amazing cause you can actually have the perfect ratio for your needs / money.

Guest EleminoP

7AVMf.jpg

Also have a Nanozwerg, Poly 800, and another spring reverb. Excited to have a bigger place next year so I have room for everything.

I can't help myself....

monsterbase021912.jpg

I've already bought and sold a couple other modules between my last posting in this thread and this post. Of those, I only regret selling the Cwejman CTG-VC, though. If any of you are eurorack guys, or are thinking of going eurorack, whatever, that is the best envelope ever. I don't know why I sold it; a moment of weakness, I suppose. But it's worth the cash if you're debating on one. The only thing that might beat it would be the Circuit Abbey ADSRjr, but I don't think that module is ever going to get released... :wacko:

Guest jasondonervan

It's a minimal setup, but other bits and bobs are hauled in as and when required (Elektron MonoMachine & MachineDrum, MPC1000, etc), I just don't have the space to wire them all up at the same time right now. The Juno takes up a whole lotta desk, but it deserves to be the centre of attention, I reckon... the JSQ-60 just managed to sneak in fortunately :happy:

studiotu.jpg

(Sidenote: the iMac on the floor is being sold shortly, it's not being used as a footrest :wink:)

how the DRM treating you btw? I've been very tempted.

It's pretty good:

• Bd is awesome, can get low and really thick, the wave shaper on it is a nice touch for that distorted 808/909 feel.
  • The multi/drum1/drum2 can get some really nice toms, laser, rim, block sort of sounds.
  • Snare is a little weak, I have trouble getting it to be as snappy as I like. Overall it's pretty good, it can get nice and lofi/cr8000ish if you turn the res up and freq down on the filter.
  • Hats are good also, can be light and airy or dark if you like. The pitch and mix controls allow you to get some nice ride cymbal sounds.
  • The clap... I hate it. It always comes off week for me, I can never get it to do what I want it to. Maybe you'd have better luck...
  • Individual outs and pan controls for each voice are a really nice touch.

All in all I'm satisfied with it. The build quality isn't amazing on mine, some of the knobs seem to have sticky spots others feel really loose, also it came with a couple of the highpass filters seemingly unopperational and I can't justify the cost of sending it back as there are no Vermona dealers in Canada do my knowledge.

The other complaint I have is that I wish there was one more voice for a dedicated cymbal separate from the hat section.

For the price I think it's a great unit, I got it, a Biscuit and the Re-tube-verb for around the same price as a Tempest, which I demoed and while it's reach goes further, in the end I didn't like the feel of the sounds themselves.