IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Currently have my nose in quite a few books, which are as follows:

Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan, which is a series of disjointed, often surreal, often quite funny vignettes connected by the idea of fishing for trout or simply the phrase "Trout Fishing in America", it is the source of my forum signature. The edition I have is a volume which also contains a collection of his poetry called The Pill versus the Spring Hill Mining Disaster as well as a story (In Watermelon Sugar) about a hippie community thought by some to be based on the real life hippie commune known as The Farm, which you can read about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farm_(Tennessee).

Forces in Motion by Graham Lock is to date the only book-length biography of acclaimed avant garde musician Anthony Braxton. It follows him on his 1985 tour of England, and covers both details of some of Braxton's ideologies, musical and otherwise, personal life biographies on him, and also covers a bit on the musicians who at that time were in his quartet, namely Gerry Hemmingway on drums, Mark Dresser on bass, and Marilyn Crispell on piano. One of the testimonials on the back of the book is from Braxton himself who encourages anyone who considers themselves a fan of his music to read the book. Very interesting stuff and reminds me not only of how interconnected the world of jazz is, but how brilliant and interesting a mind Braxton is.

VALIS is one of the last novels that Philip K. Dick had written and published before his death, and if I remember correctly is rather autobiographical, and is largely based on his own experiences with mental illness. Like his other books from around the time leading up to his death, it has a lot to do with his own ideas about religion and gnosticism.

I recently finished reading these two books: The Cosmic Connection by Carl Sagan, which is a pretty lovely, if dated, non-fiction piece all about contemplating our solar system from an outsider perspective and arguing the case for the importance for interplanetary exploration and the search for extraterrestrial life, and The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea, which is a very entertaining, if in some parts a bit dated, read of an interesting sort of conspiracy fiction/science fiction/detective fiction crossover which covers many areas from secret societies to psychedelic drug experiences to anarchists and politicians to Atlantis and all the connections between each of these things.

Some books I want to start after I'm done the ones I mentioned before are Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence, Dennis Tedlock's translation of the ancient Mayan religious text the Popol Vuh, Bob Dylan's (to date) lone fictional novella, Tarantula, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert's Dune, Larry Niven's Ringworld, Silence: Lectures and Writings by John Cage, Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science, The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano, Beneath the Underdog by Charles Mingus, Andre Breton's Nadja, Watership Down by Richard Adams, and I will try to find some good introductory books to do with mycology. Just need to prioritize these. Feel free to recommend me some books, I'm mostly interested in the following genres: science fiction/speculative fiction, modern/postmodern fiction/experimental literature, scientific non-fiction, music journalism, sociology/political theory, and something I'm interested in but really have barely read anything in is queer theory.

Im currently reading through House Of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski for a second time, also paging through the Batman: Death In The Family story-arch, and just this Friday I picked up a copy of David Byrne's, How Music Works after I went to the interview/discussion event that I plan to start reading through. It's like a brief history and analysis of recording technologies and the way technology has impacted music over the years and rare music history type stories he's pieced together through extensive research. (The discussion/interview was really fucking interesting) plus I got my copy signed!!

Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan, which is a series of disjointed, often surreal, often quite funny vignettes connected by the idea of fishing for trout or simply the phrase "Trout Fishing in America", it is the source of my forum signature. The edition I have is a volume which also contains a collection of his poetry called The Pill versus the Spring Hill Mining Disaster as well as a story (In Watermelon Sugar) about a hippie community thought by some to be based on the real life hippie commune known as The Farm, which you can read about here: http://en.wikipedia....arm_(Tennessee).

sociology/political theory

I love Brautigan - his writing style is so captivating.

Sociology

- Anthony Giddens is great - "Runaway World" is a slim volume that will provide much food for thought

- Benedict Anderson - "Imagined Communities" is one of those seminal books that everyone should read

- Ian Buruma - "Inventing Japan" - an interesting and very readable book on modern Japan (well modern up until '65) that is a very good look at the japanese psyche.

Political theory - not so much on actual political theory but if you dig political economy:

- Chalmers Johnson - "MITI and the Japanese Miracle"

- Barrington Moore - "Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy"

- Robert Allen - "The British Industrial Revolution in Global Perspective"

- Karl Gunnar Persson - "An Economic History of Europe"

- Andre Gunder Frank - "ReOrient: Global Economy in the Asian Age"

- Adam Przeworski - "Democracy and the Market"

great cover art on that edition...

so I have heard that I should read at least part II, now I am hearing from the mighty Baphomet that I shouldn't???

WHAT DO I DO OH LORD OF LIGHT????

I probably will read the millions of other books that I need to instead of the sequels.

Rama_copy.jpg

please don't read the rest of the series though

I don't mind the rest of the series. Yeah it's a lot more emotional because of Gentry Lee, but you have actual characters.

Just as long as they never turn it into a film. Please god no.

so I have heard that I should read at least part II, now I am hearing from the mighty Baphomet that I shouldn't???

I probably will read the millions of other books that I need to instead of the sequels.

Rama_copy.jpg

I don't mind the rest of the series. Yeah it's a lot more emotional because of Gentry Lee, but you have actual characters.

I'm probably being too harsh; there are interesting ideas in the sequels, and I'm always a fan of more characterization. I just... think Gentry Lee is pretty hamfisted and simplistic with a lot of it.

Rama_copy.jpg

Already on Chapter 9 of this, finding it a breeze, both in the sense that it's not hard to get through, and that it is both very refreshing and welcome.

Rama_copy.jpg

I'm probably being too harsh; there are interesting ideas in the sequels, and I'm always a fan of more characterization. I just... think Gentry Lee is pretty hamfisted and simplistic with a lot of it.

Yeah i can definitely get down with that assessment. He is hamfisted, but I'm not reading it for great literature (it's SF for fuck's sake lol).

The Sea, The Sea has been a long slog but I'm nearly done with it. Decent enough English novel, middlebrow stuff, but miles better than say Ian McEwan. Notable for having a contemptible heel of a narrator but it's all laid on a bit thick. Still not sure exactly why I picked it up, just had a mad idea that I should read an Iris Murdoch novel. I don't think I'll be going back.

To balance it slightly I'm about to start reading some short stories by Flannery O'Connor (expecting good things) and I've also made a start on Mallone Dies by Samuel Beckett (so far, my main impression has been 'thank goodness it's shorter than Molloy').

Guest Ron Manager

Started Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel the other night. Anyone read it? Seems good so far.

For those not familiar with it, it's historical fiction, about the rise of Thomas Cromwell at the court of Henry VIII. Won loads of awards.

Edited by Ron Manager

baudolino.jpg

Haven't started to read it yet but I must say I really like the aestethics, the cover and design of this book

The figure, the blue, those faux-gold imprinted letters, the feel...

you can't get that shit with a kindle

baudolino.jpg

Haven't started to read it yet but I must say I really like the aestethics, the cover and design of this book

That's one I've been meaning to pick up for a while. Be interested to hear thoughts on it.

baudolino.jpg

That's one I've been meaning to pick up for a while. Be interested to hear thoughts on it.

I have Eco's Focault's Pendulum. I read good reviews about it so I bought it... But I can't really "enjoy" it, mainly because it's really hard for me to read. I like to understand all that is written in a book, but this one, just in Chapter 1, has so many, many references and quotes and stuff that I can't really appreciate it the way I want. I guess I'm too stupid or/and uncultured... I bet that book is written in a similar way, but if you can understand it, I think it's a pretty good read.

Edited by logakght