IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

max-every_love_story_is_a_ghost_story.jp

very sensitive and intelligent portrait. great research. full of love, brilliance and sadness as you would expect.

Guest Eggylips

"

“Boat?”

This is a word is that flows down past the Ghats, past the ears of the five goats with stitched and torn woolen jumpers on, worn to their mid sections, portions and parts with bits of four skinny legs, some broken, some not there, some strong and some without hair, fur or the shock of no mop, there the animal with a coat that trots down from step to step so eloquently, sometimes hopping. These are the words that we put into the mouths of the herds, and that drain down the alleyways where the saucepans meet the curd, where the engineering disappears in a mist of smells, blocks of stones, cleanliness repelled. These are the voices that are always heard (by us)

“Boat?”

“Ghat….”

Now a mocking voice comes closer still, another place “Tomato season”

“He must be fucking joking, done so much grouting the cunt”

“TOMATO SEASON? Whar the fuck is he on about?”

There is another sentence around thoughts of two very aesthetic ladies and the end of weather…

<When the rivers froze (that wasn’t it!)>

…With the regurgitated sounds of the Ganges that was far away from that place, it was in essence a giant collapse of reflectors that time that sent the river bed bad, bad boy river with no common sense of the regret of the streaming course, no weather means no umbrella, no umbrella means no china. End of weather, for the next month there would be no rain or wind, the sun would remain to shine down on such imagination that was the world in the view of watching these people, experimental games gone wrong when one man sang a one man show that liked to include his fellow performers, and the beds were made of pressups. The TV showed flavours of burden (text in, pay up) and the rivers flowed both ways while the engines chugged in every street.

THERE’S NO CHARACTERISATION (because they are frames)

Imagine a circle of infinity, like blobs, WE KNOW, a circle is infinity, but that's pretty simple stuff, but you can do it, not explaining much to you, that's the trick, how can a word affect you and your civilization, civilisation like the english, the z is not too britizch and that’s trying too hard.

“He used to beat me up as a kid”

“I can see why”

“Where’s the tiles? They’ll eat you”

"

i'm in school currently so most of my reading has been stuff for courses...parts of The Iliad and The Aeneid, some Plato, some 17th and 18th century British Poetry (Blake is crazy but i like it, Byron is awesome as i already knew). read Black Thunder by Arna Bontemps recently, which is a fictionalization of a real slave revolt in 1800 in Virginia...it was oddly written (lots of changing narratorial voices, etc., cliched imagery at times), but there's a lot of mastery mixed in with awkwardness. overall a good book, and interesting partly because of its content and the time when it was written. we're now going over a poetry compilation he did of black American writers, mostly focused on the Harlem Renaissance folks. Langston Hughes is of course a highlight (does anyone here read poetry? i don't remember seeing much poetry mentioned).

beyond school stuff i'm reading a Kindle version of Unstuck #2 http://www.amazon.com/Unstuck-2-ebook/dp/B00AQ9RXZU/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1362773158&sr=8-12&keywords=unstuck... there's some interesting stuff in here so far. looking forward to The Water Spider, first read about the story here: http://weirdfictionreview.com/2012/12/the-water-spider/ and my interest is thoroughly piqued.

Guest Eggylips

fucking hell, been here since before 2005, had some EKT shit that's expired or something..... and still have about 20 seconds to edit post.... really? REALLY......... so a double post 3 minutes later to say;

making my way through all of Iain M Banks at the moment, reading in chronological order, loving the culture novels....... got as far as....

lookto_lg.gif

But my favorite so far is not culture related, and is the only one published as M banks in the USA and just Banks in the UK

banks_transition-cover.jpg

Defiantly the best author alive to me....... would make an amazing film, if I directed it.

Edited by Eggylips

What_Is_the_What_hires.jpg?1356557185

Great retelling of the 2nd Sudanese Civil War. I felt fully entrenched in the life of the main character which is saying something as some of the scenes are impossible to fathom being in yourself. It is a true story and it is hard to imagine some people still live this way. There were occasional parts that I felt didn't have the proper weight distributed to them, but this is probably the way it actually felt becoming numb to constant death and hardship going on all around you, being forced from not only your hometown but country.

Good book.

just finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. strange and thought-provoking read, really enjoyed it. can't decide what exactly happened at the end. i'm a PKD newb, but would definitely recommend to anyone.

I read that one a few years ago. The way he describes the drug + dolls scene on mars was dreamy. I can't remember the ending though.

I really recommend The Divine Invasion and UBIK, if you're planning on getting more Dick.

I just opened Sid Sackson's Beyond Tic-Tac-Toe, which is just a book of pen-and-paper boardgames. I've always been a board game enthusiast, so I'm excited. The games I've read are already really cool.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3937/beyond-tic-tac-toe

I also bought his co-op board game book, but I haven't read through it yet.

The Age of Reason, JP Sartre

I had to find this quote in english language, because I'm reading in my native language, and I didn't want to spoil the narrative. So here it goes:

"She smiled and said with an ecstatic air: "It shines like a little diamond",

"What does?"

"This moment. It is round, it hangs in empty space like a little diamond; I am eternal."

Sartre's novels appeal to me in a manner that rare authors did. So much of his stories are similar to my life, it's striking and beautiful at once.

just finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. strange and thought-provoking read, really enjoyed it. can't decide what exactly happened at the end. i'm a PKD newb, but would definitely recommend to anyone.

such a great book

I'm reading a collection of short stories by Algernon Blackwood as suggested by Atop some pages back. Also realized I have actually read the Wendigo story years ago when I was reading Chaosium's Cthulhu Cycle books. Anyway, great stuff so far.

I also ordered the Exegesis by PKD from Amazon, lol. Have to see if I can get through it.

Guest Ron Manager

yeah, Three Stigmata really was great. i'm definitely going to pick up more PKD soon. never tried Iain M Banks, think i'll get something of his soon too as he seems to come highly rated.

about to start Murakami - Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. i believe this is a different translator to the others i've read (mostly, if not all, Jay Rubin i think?), so it will be interesting to see if there's a noticeable difference in style.

also A Clockwork Orange was awesome. can't believe i'd never read it before.

Edited by Ron Manager

I normally read non-fiction, but do audio books like a motherfucker for fiction. I just read The stuff of thought by Steven PInker. All about how language is a template for how the brain processes information.

I also just finished the ENTIRE dune saga. It's like 4 weeks straight in audio haha.

I normally read non-fiction, but do audio books like a motherfucker for fiction. I just read The stuff of thought by Steven PInker. All about how language is a template for how the brain processes information.

I also just finished the ENTIRE dune saga. It's like 4 weeks straight in audio haha.

that first one sounds interesting. i've heard that guy's name before too, not sure where.

ALL of Dune? even the newer books? good lord man. sand is coming out of your ears by now!

Guest Ron Manager

i've never listened to an audiobook. the only time it would be nice is when i'm driving, but i just don't do enough long trips for that.