IGNORED

untilted piffle

Guest burnibus

It's all subjective anyway. I would venture to guess that most people would say the same thing after hearing Untitled. I doubt the reviewer gave it more than one listen, if he/she even listened to the whole thing (which he/she probably did not).

Guest burnibus
It's all subjective anyway. I would venture to guess that most people would say the same thing after hearing Untitled. I doubt the reviewer gave it more than one listen, if he/she even listened to the whole thing (which he/she probably did not).

true its all subjective but the reviewer didnt have that much of a subjective view point seemed to make cast in concrete points which clearly were based on his preconceptions of ae, ie the fact that he thought they were rubbish anyhoo.

Guest tbio2007

I get really annoyed when people who don't like Autechre accuse people who do like Autechre of listening to them intentionally just to appear different or to be a apart of something different.

What if I do actually like them?

And how on earth does this record sound like Aphex Twin? It sounds nothing like any AFX record.

This is a bad review, really bad.

Suck balls mate, suck balls.

However patronising this may sound, I often listen to Autechre and wonder if these guys are for real, or merely taking advantage of a gullable audience that wants to be part of something novel and unique at the expense of even liking the music.

i've often thought the same thing.

it’s time to wake up and smell the coffee. Once again Autechre attempt to get away with passing water off as wine, and good luck to them if they can keep getting away with it. I’m not denying they have done interesting things in the past, even unique, but times have changed and Autechre have simply stood still, wrapped up in their status as the kings of avant-garde cutting edge electronic music. Untitled is so bereft of new ideas, so lacking in personal progression, and so mentally unchallenging, that this time the electronic music crowd might well call their bluff.

swap untilted with quaristice and he's spot on there as well.

hats off to the guy for spewing truth bullets!

Guest derekgray
However patronising this may sound, I often listen to Autechre and wonder if these guys are for real, or merely taking advantage of a gullable audience that wants to be part of something novel and unique at the expense of even liking the music.

i've often thought the same thing.

Untilted was always my least favorite album. Plus, it's not like I like every single AE track. AE does put out MANY respectable tracks though, which are easily likeable. I'm sure most average electronic fans would agree with me - more people here seem to love AE unconditionally. :p

Guest Enter a new display name
On the rare occasion that Autechre crawl towards an unsophisticated commercial template, they sound alarmingly similar to Aphex Twin - almost clone-like. On Augmatic Disport, Autechre even try to out-do Squarepusher, with drill'n'bass beats that eclipse the 300 bpm mark, but this lacks Jenkinson's personality. I doubt Autechre would imagine that they deserve to be compared to anyone, but one can't quite help comparing inferior music to its superior contemporaries.

We gotta sue Barcodezine!

I get really annoyed when people who don't like Autechre accuse people who do like Autechre of listening to them intentionally just to appear different or to be a apart of something different.

Ya, that's messed up shit.

Untilted is a brilliant work of art. Autechre made it the way it is to make beautiful music, not just to spew out glitchy noises. Anyone who thinks Untilted fans are just pretending to like it to seem avant-garde needs to get over themselves.

S'alright, far from their best but some quality moments. Sublimit is a serious jam.

Sounds like this guy just doesn't like Autechre to begin with, hard to review if you're not willing to be open minded.

S'alright, far from their best but some quality moments. Sublimit is a serious jam.

Sounds like this guy just doesn't like Autechre to begin with, hard to review if you're not willing to be open minded.

funny how much he pretends to like them in the interview on this same site. he does some pretty intense ass-kissing for someone who thinks so low of them. He also gave my first LP a terrible review and told people not to listen to my CD but listen to amon tobin instead (!?) and this was before foley room so its strange someone would even compare me to tobin. And now hes reviewing my new disc i was just informed, i except something equally as depressing as this AE review. Im keeping an open mind though...

hmmm. i have to hold the view that Danny Turner's taste in music is pretty off the mark for my own liking, but as stated above - it's all objective. a man's music taste is a man's right. doesn't mean anything personal to anyone else.

getting a review of the Rubens album out of him was like pulling teeth mind you and he vaguely shat on it. or at least seemed that way to us.

http://www.barcodezine.com/revrubenscarnivalesque011007.htm

as for the point about sometimes wondering if Ae are at it and taking the piss, aren't all musicians who genuinely make music for themselves first and foremost?

i've thought they were pulling the wool just about everytime i heard a new Ae album, certainly from EP7 or Confield onwards. but then clarity appears where before there was only absurd apathy.

having followed the Ae since the very beginning - i was full of the rapture and joys when i heard of any new material and would rush down to my local rekord shop on day of release and buy it (this was in the days before internets and leaks) - run all the way home and listen with glee to those crazy noises and be happy in the knowledge that these guys were 'on point'

than all of a sudden they released Confield and i thought - hold on, these guys are just fuckin at it - this is classic electronic music taking the piss music.

and yet here we all are 'spunking our jizz' at anything they do, no questions - just fucking accept it's Ae and therefor a work of sublime genius.

when in actual fact most of their output for the past few years has been (barring the odd track) utter shite* and Quaristice is nothing more than a collection of odd bits and bobs tarted up and polished with new technology and released to the gibbering electronic music fanboi masses (of course i bought the metal box thing, only as a completist measure mind you).

*my listening experience may differ from yours

Guest tbio2007
having followed the Ae since the very beginning - i was full of the rapture and joys when i heard of any new material and would rush down to my local rekord shop on day of release and buy it (this was in the days before internets and leaks) - run all the way home and listen with glee to those crazy noises and be happy in the knowledge that these guys were 'on point'

than all of a sudden they released Confield and i thought - hold on, these guys are just fuckin at it - this is classic electronic music taking the piss music.

and yet here we all are 'spunking our jizz' at anything they do, no questions - just fucking accept it's Ae and therefor a work of sublime genius.

when in actual fact most of their output for the past few years has been (barring the odd track) utter shite* and Quaristice is nothing more than a collection of odd bits and bobs tarted up and polished with new technology and released to the gibbering electronic music fanboi masses (of course i bought the metal box thing, only as a completist measure mind you).

*my listening experience may differ from yours

So your saying there might be a point were we might realise Autechre are really crap after all? You make it out we think every Autechre album is genius when of cause they are not.

Guest goodwillsidis

I love how this guy accuses electronic music of culling ideas from electro-pop/pop and not vice versa.... serious lulz.

Guest derekgray
I love how this guy accuses electronic music of culling ideas from electro-pop/pop and not vice versa.... serious lulz.

Well, if he means newer electro-pop, you're right. But didn't electronic music originally spin off of older electro-pop or whatever?

Guest tht! tne

Well, if he means newer electro-pop, you're right. But didn't electronic music originally spin off of older electro-pop or whatever?

i'm not an authority on the matter but i think electronic music would've been derived from proper electro, not electro-pop

Guest goodwillsidis

i'm not an authority on the matter but i think electronic music would've been derived from proper electro, not electro-pop

bingo bango. electro-->electronic music-->timbaland-->*.pop producer industry stooges-->a million shitacular new bands with nord and/or minikorg and open hihat on the downbeat

Archived