IGNORED

I keep hearing this wicked thing in aphex and squarepusher records

It's an acidy bass sound...which screeches...i can't really explain it, so ill give examples.

In ziggomatic it comes in at 6.02.

In do you know squarepusher it comes in 1.48.

I've been trying to make this sound for ages, i can get pretty close, i think its something that can only be done with FM synthesis? Please enlighten me. Such a wicked sound.

in ziggomatic it's definitely fm synthesis, i'm not so sure in DYKS though. i think i've obtained similar sounds with the fm synths that are available for buzz.

.. and i'm sure you could do it with, say, a dx7 or something.

the sega genesis sound chip is a FM synthetiser btw

and also an essential part of my early electronic music education! fuckin' chemical plant zone! marble garden zone!

Guest Wall Bird

Yeah, definitely FM. The first thing I would do is adjust the fine tune of either your carrier or modulator by a little bit so that they are not perfectly in tune. Doing this will create a lot more sidebands more easily and result in a clangorous metallic sound. You can twist your FM synth all you want but still not come close unless the relationship between the carrier and the modulator is detuned by 1/8 to 1/4 of a step.

FM synthesis is interesting in that you can mathematically predict how harmonic sidebands will propagate with a little bit of practice. John Chowning (The guy who discovered it as a synth technique) wrote a pretty good book on it for Yamaha and use with the DX7. It's probably out of print, but definitely worth looking for if you really want to get to know FM. Of course, simply practicing with an FM synth is likely the best way to learn about it, because who wants to do a bunch of hard math when they're making music (other than Xenakis)?

Btw, a good track demonstrating what you can do with FM is 'Kill Robok' off of 'Do You Know Squarepusher'. It's pretty much all FM with the possible exception of the percussion, but I could be wrong on that.

in ziggomatic it's definitely fm synthesis, i'm not so sure in DYKS though. i think i've obtained similar sounds with the fm synths that are available for buzz.

.. and i'm sure you could do it with, say, a dx7 or something.

i'm selling a dx-7 dot dot dot

and also an essential part of my early electronic music education! fuckin' chemical plant zone! marble garden zone!

yes!!

according to wikipedia

The synth patches used by the YM2612 in Mega Drive/Genesis games are compatible with certain members of the Yamaha DX/TX synthesizers, such as the Yamaha DX100.

So I've always wanted to get one cos I grew up with that sound. But they are sought after a lot because Roger Troutman also used them for with his Talk Box.

Guest analogue wings

yes!!

according to wikipedia

The synth patches used by the YM2612 in Mega Drive/Genesis games are compatible with certain members of the Yamaha DX/TX synthesizers, such as the Yamaha DX100.

So I've always wanted to get one cos I grew up with that sound. But they are sought after a lot because Roger Troutman also used them for with his Talk Box.

TX81z is the same synth for peanuts. I THINK thay are patch compatible. Certainly the TX81z has the "heavy metal" present that Roger used

Guest goodwillsidis
nevertheless, i guess it's all about parameter automation?

I'd say so... has anyone here ever mapped DX100 parameter changes to an external controller?

Archived