IGNORED

is Monolith AFX?

YEK

Guest mafted

idk.. like i said before, the progressions are very similar, as well as some of the drum sounds and rhythmic transitions. if you have a trained ear to hear nuances you notice these things. i realize it could be another artist in the same vein but i'v never heard those techniques with anyone but RDJ.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

idk.. like i said before, the progressions are very similar, as well as some of the drum sounds and rhythmic transitions. if you have a trained ear to hear nuances you notice these things. i realize it could be another artist in the same vein but i'v never heard those techniques with anyone but RDJ.

I don't think you need a trained ear to hear that Monolith has basically taken on Tuss production methods and RDJ style as a starting point. They both use heavily side-chained drums, similar bass synths, vocoders, love putting notes on the off-beats, etc.

But Monolith has a different overall aesthetic that I can't see RDJ adopting. It sounds much more something you'd hear on Electronic Explorations, if that makes any sense. He uses clubby house chords on one of the new songs in that set for god's sake...

Listen to the tunes on his myspace for more examples of what I consider to be Monolith's real vibe lurking under the tunes in Volume 1.

Guest HokusPoker

I've made an 6 minute longer audio version of the video material I already uploaded on youtube.

There is some talking through the incredible music of Monolith, that's the reason I've cut it out of the vids.

Enjoy.. http://hotfile.com/dl/55226870/e735f4c/monolith_live_parts.zip.html

Guess my vid made it all clear that Monolith isn't Aphex Twin himself. :)

Also uploaded some DJ Rephlex Records vids on my tube: http://www.youtube.com/fabbotube

Also enjoy ;-)

First track ID, please?

Guest HokusPoker

First track ID, please?

It's all unreleased material, I think.

Hm, I thought I knew it. Too sad.

Monolith is not AFX, but AFX is Monolith if that makes sense.

(It doesn't.)

Monolith is catchy and makes me move, but it's not rife with the detail and constantly shifting ideas of The Tuss or the Metz/Manchester tracks. Those are A-mazing.

Guest Psyspy

You didn't? Last upload is Jodey Kendrick's set.

Yea, that was my bad, something in my brain said to me it was DJ Rephlex Records, so I switched them to Jodey Kendrick.

Guest mafted

I don't think you need a trained ear to hear that Monolith has basically taken on Tuss production methods and RDJ style as a starting point. They both use heavily side-chained drums, similar bass synths, vocoders, love putting notes on the off-beats, etc.

But Monolith has a different overall aesthetic that I can't see RDJ adopting. It sounds much more something you'd hear on Electronic Explorations, if that makes any sense. He uses clubby house chords on one of the new songs in that set for god's sake...

Listen to the tunes on his myspace for more examples of what I consider to be Monolith's real vibe lurking under the tunes in Volume 1.

was the Tuss really something you could've seen RDJ adopting , say, 10 years ago? maybe it's him and his wife, or gf or whatever, which would be cool. lol

Guest cult fiction

was the Tuss really something you could've seen RDJ adopting , say, 10 years ago? maybe it's him and his wife, or gf or whatever, which would be cool. lol

That's a good point, one can never totally predict where he's going to go.

I still think Tuss has very strong melodic and arrangement ties to his older work that I can't hear with Monolith, except for what's on the surface. Even weird funky stuff like Akunk can be traced back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9iumMvZi8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7RCpnIKOc

• 1 month later...

David Barnard = David Barnyard = Barns have sheep = sheep on the cover of the Tuss = monolith = aphex

LOl. fucking hell. you can't be serious?

so any electronic music involving sheep in some way is also possibly The Tuss, and Aphex Twin, and therefore 'Monolith', too??

this place really cracks me up sometimes! hahahahaha :)

there are tens, possibly hundreds, of thousands of people on this planet who make good electronic 'braindance/IDM' music.

not just Richard D. James! Lolzzzzzzzz

ok now i know u jest. you have a good use of sarcasm, tho. you should do it more often. it is funny.

Aphex is the Lord of the Dance says he.

Archived