IGNORED

are idm listeners new age types

oyster

Guest Panoptimist
I do have a personal fractal-based philosophy/sophism I builded up during acid+weed trips. The IDM part of it is that i'm trying to relate it to Wittgenstein's work.

What do you think about my personal reconciliation of I|)M in futurist literature, post-structuralism, and specifically the philosophy of Sartre?

I am interested in the details of your personal discoveries/realizations...

Guest Panoptimist
nah, maybe some cross-section of boc fans..

the average idm listener is a mid-20s internet addict, with ocd, anxiety disorder, and/or asperger's. they like obscure/avant-garde movies, caffeine, and buddhism/atheism.

I wonder why this is?

I mean, this describes me to a t...except I just turned 20...

the average idm listener is a mid-20s internet addict, with ocd, anxiety disorder, and/or asperger's. they like obscure/avant-garde movies, caffeine, and buddhism/atheism.

I wonder why this is?

I mean, this describes me to a t...except I just turned 20...

REALLY

I do have a personal fractal-based philosophy/sophism I builded up during acid+weed trips. The IDM part of it is that i'm trying to relate it to Wittgenstein's work.

What do you think about my personal reconciliation of I|)M in futurist literature, post-structuralism, and specifically the philosophy of Sartre?

I am interested in the details of your personal discoveries/realizations...

Well, just tell me you theory. Here's mine :

I would be highly interested in sharing thoughts in english in the same way I did during the past year with a german friend (which explains the wittgenstein thing). So i'll pm you one day(or maybe you will), but now, i'm giving it a public shot. I hope this will be as pictural as possible of how new-age-esque an idm nerd can be (Of course i do not have any girlfriend).

It all began with a typical loop effect you can experiment on LSD.

But I was actually on LSA (slight cousin of LSD) and i rolled a joint. We were 4 people, 2 stepped down , the last one drag a couple times on the spliff. Consequently I had to end the joint on my own. A few minutes later as i was walking, I suddenly had a feeling of a philosophical deja-vu (i was megamegamegaHigh). At the moment I couldn't say what was the initial idea of the loop. It was purely generative, like sensing the zn+1 = zn^2 + c whilst navigating through the mandelbrot set, iterations after iterations. Hence I sarted making statements in order to explain the statement before and so forth. I ended up in a strange state, Half the time i was hallucinating about my thoughts through a 3-to-7-dimensional space and i was speaking to myself like a fucking weirdo : serious delirium. The rest of time I was reassuring my friends about my mental health on a totally different, clear and neutral tone.

So i do not claim I'm doing philosophy, since I do not make use of the vocabulary philosophers have been building up for ages.

I rather want to describe how a special state of mind that may be induced by drugs, sleep deprivation or manic state, can lead to a logic fractal-structured pattern of the mind, though it might appear at first look, dizzy and « sophismic ».

A perfectly natural question comes to one's mind : « Does a psychedelic jumble accounts for a solid thought ? »

Well let me inform you that Nobel-prize-winning chemist Kary Mullis alleged he attributed his method of DNA cloning to insights he gained from tripping on ayahuasca (a psychedelic drug which makes you see DNA-like shapes). So why not ?

Why acid ?

-Because it helps you out visualizing your thoughts. It enables an underlying cognitive synaesthesia we're all able to experiment.

-It also quickens the flow of the thoughts, and it tends to make you think anologically rather than with inferences.

Why weed ?

I usually compare an acid trip to surfing a wave. The intensity is constant, and your mind seem to run across mini-trips, like if your thoughts were simply fluent fluids.

On the contrary smoking weed puts you directly into a choppy sea. At times you're at the trough of the wave, just adding bizarre thoughts in your disturbed mind. And sometimes you reach the top of the wave, take into consideration your previous thoughts, then have a good laugh at their strangeness.

So basically, weed helps you to switch to a different mindframe while acid make you find out similarities between them.

Unintersting part

What are fractals ?

Okay, i'm not gonna define the whole stuff, I just want to pull some ideas out of it.

Irregularity.

Typically fractals are irregular objects that classic math cannot stand for. This depicts the « weed » side of the thing.

In my idea, belongs to the same « stage », everything that doesn't disrupt the previous thought. Any thought that will disallow a previous thought (with its content or shape) will be in a different stage.

Self-similarity.

The parts are similar to the whole. Recognition of similarities between stages is the job of lysergic amides.

Let me show you a simple example of an argument-oriented way of thinking ( hope acidheads, if they'are reading, will identify with this kind of reasoning)

In arguings there is always a possibility for the opponents to put on the table an opposing thesis(statement 1)

Let's assume we are now holding a debate on it.

What can we do to counter statement 1 ?

-We can say « No, I think that... » which is an opposing thesis, and hence statement 1 is true;

-or We can stop at the same « stage » as statement 1 by agreeing with it... Wait you really think i'm screwed now ? No. At this point I can still say « indeed statement 1 is false » which bumps me into another stage, and make statement 1 true.

We should call it a sophism. But keep on mind I'm not attempting to establish truths, all the more so my speech is mainly metalinguistic. I'm just drawing a pattern of ping-pong-like philosophy for little girls, which is intended to be like the timeline of my thoughts, and thinking with « stages » just help me to distinguish points or crossroads of irregularities.

From this point, my ideas are pretty vague. But if you add the fact stages can be linked by their shape or content, and can be split or joined into other stages, you obtain something close to a huge fractal mindset, that allows you to put your linear timeline into a non-integer dimension.

That's a lot of words. Hope nobody will be mocking my amateurism. Now i'll be way more brief (at least I wish so.) because i so badly want to speak about the emotional side of the trip.

Well, I was with a friend arguing about metaphysical stuff (on acid and weed, that's so obvious). He wasn't understanding the true underlying big fractal which surrounds everything in the universe. The arguing was dying, but when i showed him a picture of a fractal with parts displaying the evolution of the whole, he immediately stopped barking. His eyes wide opened. « I get it ! ». Then he was like oooh man that's so huge,bumbling across the room, oh shit shit shit. At the first look, i knew we were set « on the same wavelength », a pure osmosis(though i've been recently thinking the this could be explained by a phenomenon of semantic diluting). I explained him some stuff, quickly drew a schema, and concluded : « Can you see the 4th dimension ? » (yes yes yes sir, true story)

« Oh man that's crazy ! I can see it I can see it!... hey wait ! That means... »

« that simply means the 5th dimension can be seen if you think about... »

« shut up shut up ! let me finish ! that means that... if I put this there, then the 5th one appears here ! yyyyaaaaaaayyy ». We went on for a few hours, then rolled a joint, turn on the TV and stumbled upon

show_boobah.jpg

To be so synchronous with someone even in the slightest words is just a magnificent thing. A few trips after, we were trying to resolve the dilemma about {complex ; simple ; complicated ; basic }, and were working with little pieces of paper with the words written on it. We tried several combination, then stopped at the same time.

« can you see it ? »

« what ?, do you see the same thing i see ?»

« well, i'm seeing a DNA stuff »

« oh shit that's so unreal ! I can see exactly the same thing !».

I love fractal trips ! They're such mystic experiences, and you don't even need to refer to some divinity. I've tried many time to explain it when clear, but that's so hard. Plus I don't think it's a transformationist or cognitivist like thing. Wether you're in or you're out. But definitively, you enter it after something has triggered inside you. That's a generative stuff. or something.

spacer.gif

So smoking weed will make it harder for me to understand what you're saying, Babar?

depends on which side you look at the problem. Who's smoking weed ? you or me ?

Guest Solipsis

Haha by some standards I might be new age, but I try to kill totally random unfounded ideas by applying scepticism and that probably sets me miles apart from floatyminded people who are 'into universal spirituality' but alass know fuckall about science and spiritual fundaments.

The reason for listening to IDM type stuff for me is the combination of a deep ambient-like sound, [like a rhythmless chant keeping a steady base for meditation etc] with complex rhythms that appeal to the more serial neural circuits bringing balance to the hemispheres... For the record! I have virtually no scientific basis other than hearsay but my point is it feels like these complementary ways of information processing contribute to said harmony.

New age isnt it ;)

• 7 years later...

also: I listen to drone. drone is way more than new age people can handle. they listen to native american shaman sounds vol. 3.

There's a lot of older new age I listen to that's in-between drone and pan flute and it's been a slew of cassette labels that put new age inclined ambient, drone, and synth stuff out. People forget lates 60s thu mid 70s new age sprang out of German synth kosmische, american minimal/experimental and early drone, nature sound recordings, early academic world music efforts, and post-hippie era psych rock.

Those two worlds - experimental drone/noise/ambient and new age relaxation/world music/Southwestern gift shop CDs - really split up in the 80s and 90s but have merged together via the musical stylings of a lot of underground producers in the last 5-10 years or so.

Leaving Records, especially it's label head Matthewdavid, is a prime example. He's put out noisey drone and beat tapes but is increasingly a stereotypical LA new age hippy. Inner Islands, Aguirre Records, and Tranquillity Tapes put out a lot of that stuff.

More like mid-30s now. Haha, we so old.

I love good ambient and new age type of tracks. I especially love spiritual/religious old country, gospel, choral pieces, etc. But I'm an atheist, scientifically minded and not into idm.

I like to spend most of my evenings down on the Grand Union Canal towpath, usualy lurking between the orange arc-light, industrialized sick fog of the paint factory and the boat yard. I like sniffing glue and hunting rats and two-headed toads with my catapult. Splat!

On a more serious note, nah I'm not new age. Though I do dabble with potions, I'm quite interested in echinacea, wheatgrass, milk thistle and the curing effects they have on the body. Echinacea is an interesting one, as obviously you can't tell what the difference would be if you hadn't taken any, but if taken quickly with zinc I would always be a lot, lot better than others at work suffering with the same cold or bug, having said that the symptoms seem to last longer just not as harsh. Milk thistle is a gift, no shadow of a doubt about that. Its about as close as a true miracle gets for me because I like to drink on the weekend but also want to get up at 7am on a Sunday and cycle. Then we have wheatgrass, which I'm not sure is an (expensive) placebo, I know for a fact when I finish my stash I feel a huge lull for a number of days and feel zapped of energy, but I'm wise and not foolish enough to think this could be a trick of a mind. I do feel great in the morning when I've had my daily shot, somehow I just get a feeling I'm doing something really benificial for my system. Mmmm can't decide with the wheatgrass, part of me thinks it's a con, part of me doesn't. Thats enough for me 'cause I think you can get sucked into a rabbit hole with all that stuff. Next I'd be sniffing dried powdered goji berries

My diet is pretty spot-on actually. Just the beer that means I carry a bit of timbre and don't have a body like a savage Shaolin Kung Fu Master.

Nah, I like to see things before I believe them.

I have phone anxiety, but not face to face anxiety, will be in mid 20s soon, I have a pretty 'bad' taste in movies by watmm standards ( I like cringy/cheesy films in addition to the 'good stuff') don't care about obscurity of anything, wish idm was less obscure, atheist, buddhism seems nice tho.

More like mid-30s now. Haha, we so old.

true :|

Archived