IGNORED

i want to make music

Reason is the best DAW to start with I reckon, but I'd also recommend doing a search first there are lots of topics on this subject I'm sure

i made my own reason tutorial that explains the interface and basic functions of synths and the effects and how to make music with them, i could upload it if you're interested.

I want to make music not on the computer but with just synths etc... analogue shit... I am bored out of my mind learning new software programs... using the same shitty samples...

Anyone know of good (somewhat affordable) synths, keyboards, drum machines, etc... that would be a good place to start?

Guest spraaaa

one thing you could do is look on local listings (newspapers, craigslist), or ebay, see what's cheap, and then look up the features, manual, etc on vintage synth explorer and see if it would be a good fit for you. you can always sell it for the same price if you get it used. however it's easier to understand the features if you've already been doing things with software... so maybe just search this forum a bit.

also, make your own shitty samples! even if you use a cellphone or computer's internal microphone you just need some eq and you'll get something useable.

i also am interested in making music without a computer.. i am thinking about getting some cool synths and samplers and use my guitar with it all together and only use the computer to put it together and add finishing touches and such. i will check out that roland synth and i will look at more as well. what can i use to make cool 'idmish' beats? i was thinking about a roland sp 555

i also have a question

what is the difference between synthesizers? what are the main things that make a synth sound different than another one?

it used to be the electronic components and their configuration inside the synth determined their sound. now it's either what samples the synth comes loaded with or how the DSP chip has been programmed.

you have different types of synthesis (or computer chips that emulate different types of synthesis) - subtractive, additive, FM, phase distortion, linear algorithmic - loads. get some books or read up on line to find out more about how they make sound and the different qualities of each synthesis type.

some synths go blatt others go DURRRR and FM goes donk

qft.

If you are a total electronic music noob hardware will more than likely leave you feeling beaten and burned out. Software is a great place to learn the basics, since there is no investment needed, and the abundance of help out there.

yea especially use reason if you are planning on switching to hardware.

I don't use hardware at all yet but reason is laid out visually to give you an idea of how the units would hook up in real life, how to route cv cables, and all that jazz.

me too haha

good advice gentlemen

but i have made computer music before and it doesn't really give me enjoyment like i imagine touching real devices would. does anyone know if the sp 555 is any good? i was thinking of starting with that and a mixer and maybe that roland sh 201. is there anything better for sampling/making beats?

Archived