IGNORED

Going off Aphex Twin - is he all that?

Lianne

Guest hahathhat

autechre is very impressive and all but it makes me want to do something immature like make armpit farts.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thepilot

The music is timeless but the mystique and obsession centered around his personality and behavior are products of the time I think. There was a sliver of interest from the mainstream media and Richard had the wherewithal to exploit it. Album covers featuring a leering photo of the artist coupled with the Cunningham/Mtv exposure served to pique the interest of the mainstream record buying public. They now had a face to associate with this weird electronic music.

I just calculated according to my library :

9,4% of his 370 tracks available are rated 'good' or better, lol

9,2% for Mike

18% for Seefeel

23% for HIV

Guest theSun

i don't get why so many people lump ae and afx together.

2 totally different philosophies imo

that explains why i like em both, i'm a misfit by virtue of being mentally unstable

also i don't know exactly how reich and glass can be considered more mature than the twin or autechre. they're simply more successful at pimping their ideas to a certain crowd. wearing a suit and conducting a symphony doesn't make one more mature. glass in particular has hardly evolved at all as an artist, years later he's still pumping out the same neverending arpeggios+broken chords. both the twin and autechre when at their best are easily as meticulous as either of the above legends

I still don't understand why Aphex Twin is not being held on a pedestal.

Not Aphex = No Joyrex EPs = No Joyrex The Administrator = Not Joyrex.com = No WATMM.COM = NO Forum.Watmm.com

In retrospective , you all exists (Internet personas) because of Aphex Twin , ea popularity is because of Aphex Twin's Come To Daddy Video.

It all began with a little song named Polygon Window (The reason IDM 90's fans stayed in the genre)

And of course , All of the IDM artists were influenced by SAW 85-92 (By the way , how many 13-year old can conjure something like that?)

(By the way , how many 13-year old can conjure something like that?)

You do know he was in his 20s when he put it out, right? I mean, some of the tracks may have versions dating back that far, but I doubt the tracks on the album are the original versions (except maybe i)

Guest HokusPoker
(By the way , how many 13-year old can conjure something like that?)

You do know he was in his 20s when he put it out, right? I mean, some of the tracks may have versions dating back that far, but I doubt the tracks on the album are the original versions (except maybe i)

You doubt, I don't.

It's impossible to say for sure, really. There are a few tracks off of SAWII that sound to me like they came from pretty early on (particularly the ones like Spots that sound more like experimental noise environments than songs).

that explains why i like em both, i'm a misfit by virtue of being mentally unstable

also i don't know exactly how reich and glass can be considered more mature than the twin or autechre. they're simply more successful at pimping their ideas to a certain crowd. wearing a suit and conducting a symphony doesn't make one more mature. glass in particular has hardly evolved at all as an artist, years later he's still pumping out the same neverending arpeggios+broken chords. both the twin and autechre when at their best are easily as meticulous as either of the above legends

I think I can't explain that further at this time, with my current lack of knowledge and english vocabulary. I'm sorry :sleep:

Archived