IGNORED

RDJ Live + Broadcasts + Interviews

Guest AlexPallas

Guest tomaswoj
ok, tomaswoj had listened the live melt 2006 by aphex twin... he said me that sounds (flac) exactly the same with MP3... so, sorry! ;-) i've not listening MP3 version, cause i'm lazy 2 dwld them... tomaswoj did this work, i thank a lot him! ;-) & all my apologies 4 allex! ;-)

yeps, unfortunately, the recording source is the same. question if those nasty artifacts could be remastered somehow :]. im more a GFX guru, so cannot help here a lot :(.

And still it drives my nuts that i cannot identify most tracks from that set :(. Ive even crawled out of my Brothomstates/Crankshaft/AFX/Autechre shell, and trying to listen as many different elektro/break/ambient/electronic music tracks as possible but with no results. I cant come up with anything better than this:

01.40 - gig start

01.40 - 07.30 ???

07.30 - 10.50 Alberto Balsam

10.50 - 12.oo Alberto Balsam mashup

12.oo - 14.35 ???

14.35 - 18.45 ??? (sounds like one of Analords, but could not find any match here)

18.45 - 19.57 ???

19.57 - 33.15 ???

33.15 - 36.10 Track 4 (Sleeparchive/Elephant Island EP)

36.10 - 37.35 Dead Eyes Opened (Severed Heads/Since The Accident)

37.35 - 39.20 Isofreakanol (AphexTwin vs. Missy Eliot mix by DJ Lancarm)

39.20 - 41.40 ???

41.40 - 45.30 Boxing Day (AFX/Chosen Lords)

45.30 - 49.20 Vbs Redlof B (Analord 11)

49.20 - 51.27 Dodeccaheedron

51.27 - 54.20 On My Own (Ulrich Schnauss)

54.20 - 56.oo ???

56.oo - 58.10 Come to Daddy

58.10 - 61.36 ???

61.36 - 64.17 Hnipian (Wisp/Honor Beats)

64.17 - 66.20 Acid Rain V.I.P. (Breakage Final Chapter Mix)

66.20 - 67.31 The 9th Hand (Breakage/Untitled)

67.31 - 70.10 ???

70.10 - 77.34 ??? (that one is just outf...standing, those beats become a sound of steam loco at some point - well this is how i imagine this :))

79.07 - 81.13 Sceadugenga (Wisp/Honor Beats)

81.13 - applause :)

and i spot some samples from Squarepushers "My red hot car" around 58.10-61.36 but thats not this track. Anyone eager to help ? :)

Btw. i was quite suprised to discover that Aphex Twin played two gigs at Torino Traffic back in 2005. The video from Richard&Chris gig is totally different in terms of tracks than the mp3 we got from Torino in afxlive.watmm....audio.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AlexPallas

it doesnt really surprise me that AST's bootlegs have an unpure source, hell i'm willing to bet the majority of them came from here, another reason why we need to get a live section in html and off the messageboard.

Guest tomaswoj

BTW, ive tried to run some clip peak restoration tools on Melt recording we have (SoundFrge 8.0/Noise Reduction plugin, and Adobe Audition/Clip restoration), but w/o a success - there is something (well analyzing this under wave editior revelead that clipped peaks are not actually flat, but they are lowering over time) - that prevents those tools to fix the issue.

I was wondering on another approach, since most of the tracks used in the set (at least the ones we know :)) is available in reasonable quality somewhere else, maybe they could be used to recover some of the clips. They could be 'mixed' over places on the set, that are not characteristing to the set, and that are clipped at most :). Of course optimally this should be done after original/studio tracks preprocessing to some more 'live-style' level. Anyone tried such approach to any cluttered bootleg recording ? I know that Audition 2.0 offers volume/pitch envelops that would allow finetuning of such places (when mixing 2 tracks, live one, and studio reference one). But as I said, im not a SFX guru here, and maybe im just talking stupid things :)

Cheers

tomaswoj

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Drum&Basstard

two additions for the aphex live at melt tracklist:

71:59 - 73:27 Noisia - Concussion

73:27 - 74:55 ???

74:55 - 76:25 Noisia - The Tide

there are missing sooo many tracks in the list. it's amazing how many tracks he plays in 80 minutes..

any1 else can help?

i thought the jungle track at 61 min is well known?!

Guest tomaswoj
two additions for the aphex live at melt tracklist:

71:59 - 73:27 Noisia - Concussion

73:27 - 74:55 ???

there are missing sooo many tracks in the list. it's amazing how many tracks he plays in 80 minutes..

any1 else can help?

i thought the jungle track at 61 min is well known?!

Wow! i thought i deciphered this one (just postponed my posting, until i can provide the whole tracklist, but it seems that there was more than just one track at the end. my contribution to 71:59 - 74.55 would be definitely this (and not Noisia):

71:59 - 74: 55 Macc & Dgohn "15 bit" (more here: myspace.com/maccanddgohn).

But from 74.55 i agree its Noisia. Thanks!!! :)

And at 67 minutes there is Bizzy B "Jah Works". Im working on the rest - browsing thousands of files (excerpts) and juno.co.uk. Stay tuned for results :). Im almost done with 3000 dnb tracks :).

Cheers

tomaswoj

Guest Space Coyote

You can test if a lossless file is mp3, or otherwise lossy, sourced by looking at the frequency and/or spectral analysis of it in Adobe Audition. What you actually have to look for I don't know exactly but I can't believe we're even having this discussion on an electronic music board. By that I mean, if I don't know, and you don't know, there are probably at least hundred people here that do. Thus the flaw of having all these sub-boards that not everyone can be bothered to check and/or help out with.

There is this almost viral html/txt file titled something like "Why mp3s kill music" or "Why mp3s SUCK!!" or something like that and it explains the differance between mp3 and lossless and how to determine what you've got. I'll go hunting for it

*edit*

Maybe too much information but still,

http://www.audiohub.org/get/fa/fa.htm using frequency analysis to determine source quality

http://www.audiohub.org/get/fa/sa.htm using spectral analysis " " "

Guest AlexPallas

good find Space Coyote, doing it with EAC is very simple and straight forward, although you have to convert mp3s into wav before checking them. i have like no bootlegs on my computer as of right now though, but i'll be checking anything that comes in and start checking what's on our server, i'm NOT going to keep FLACs around that have gone through a lossy process, its very dangerous to do so.

okay i just tested some files on my computer, here is an example of a bootleg from the early 90's:

if it were lossless, the image would be close to entirely bright yellow and orange.

In other words it looks like a mere %5 of the original file has made it through the test of time.

that song came from a show which i have two bootlegs of (same source), here's the other version, in the concert's entirety

Show by spectral analysis:

1993-04-09: Flac is confirmed to be purer than mp3, probably by a single generation

1997-01-25: Flac is confirmed to be purer than mp3, probably by a single generation

1997-01-27: Flac is confirmed to be purer than mp3, probably by a single generation, Flac has gone through lossy process at one point or another

1997-06-29: Flac is confirmed to be purer than mp3, probably by a single generation

1997-07-13: Flac is confirmed to be purer than mp3, probably by a single generation

1997-09-08: Flac is confirmed to be purer than mp3, probably by a single generation

2002-03-16: Flac is confirmed to be purer than mp3, probably by a single generation

2003-04-05: no conclusive results, FLAC may have been 'remastered' from mp3

2004-01-27: Flac is confirmed to be purer than mp3, probably by a single generation

Hi all,

I've been looking for quite a while - I can't seem to find any reference to it on the first page of this thread "Live listing of shows (including DJ sets) performed by RDJ, in Year-Month-Day format" - and I cannot seem to find a recording (or mention in this thread) of Aphex's Live set at Sonar 2003. He played the Sonar Park on 2003-06-13. Part of the set can be found here on youtube :

I just wondered if anybody has a copy (or would know where to find a copy) of this set that they could share?

I figured this would be the best place to turn.

Thanks for any help in advance! :aphexsign:

Guest AlexPallas

thank you for the information. no i'm sorry i dont appear to have that set, the only Aphex show i have at Sonar is 2001-06-15. if i do get it i will put it up and if you get your hands on it i hope you will pass it along.

Guest AlexPallas

i sent the chap on youtube a message asking if he has more of the set, if he does i'll try to get him to send me something pure

Guest Drum&Basstard
Wow! i thought i deciphered this one (just postponed my posting, until i can provide the whole tracklist, but it seems that there was more than just one track at the end. my contribution to 71:59 - 74.55 would be definitely this (and not Noisia):

may i ask how long your mp3 file is? mine is 83:10 Min. I think yours is shorter, because the part in the tracklist would look like this:

67:11 - 69:11 ??? (Drumfunk)

69:11 - 71:59 Macc & Dgohn - 15 Bit

71:59 - 73:26 Noisia - Concussion (definetaly!!!)

73:26 - 74:55 ??? (some Rock/DnB/Breakcore Mashup Thing)

;)

p.s.: in his recent sets he played Evol Intent - Horns and Halos (Ewun Remix) - perhaps it's in there, too?!

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/barcode...ordings/barlp01

Guest tomaswoj

may i ask how long your mp3 file is? mine is 83:10 Min. I think yours is shorter, because the part in the tracklist would look like this:

67:11 - 69:11 ??? (Drumfunk)

69:11 - 71:59 Macc & Dgohn - 15 Bit

71:59 - 73:26 Noisia - Concussion (definetaly!!!)

73:26 - 74:55 ??? (some Rock/DnB/Breakcore Mashup Thing)

;)

p.s.: in his recent sets he played Evol Intent - Horns and Halos (Ewun Remix) - perhaps it's in there, too?!

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/barcode...ordings/barlp01

right right right. my mistake. for some reason i thought its 15 bit for all that time. but true, your ending is the actual one. it seems that this set is much more complex than it initially sounds. and that macc/dgohn->noisia mashup is just outf...standing.

respects

tomaswoj

Guest jacderida
Hmm I wonder what that track that comes in at 4:40 is in that clip. Certainly sounds very nice.

Can't help with an MP3 though, sorry!

Agreed, what a complete monster of an electro tune that is.

I'm gonna post the clip on the discogs forums and see if anyone knows it.

Guest jacderida

Hmm, I'm just thinking to myself, that tune does sound kind of aphexy, but lets hope it's not, because if that tune is unreleased it will be a crime against humanity :).

Archived