IGNORED

live electronic music these days

Guest my usernames always really suck

Guest Enter a new display name

any djs or knob twiddlers live are usually a waste of money in my book.

There are some exceptions in your book, I know it. :spiteful:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remembered that Doormouse used to do it up right with tons of vodka, getting naked and jumping onto other performer's tables during their sets. Though, it pissed a lot of people off more than it garnered any plus points. He made a lot of enemies in the UK but that's how we Yanks do.

saskrotch onec sent me a giant, like, 2500x1200 pixels or something ridiculous, picture of doormouse doing his "dick doormouse" routine where he's butt ass naked and moving the crossfader with his dick.

aside from questioning saskrotch like... "are we that cool, dude?!@" i thought to myself "by golly, i'll never go see this guy ever because if this thought went through his head like it's a good idea that means his head is incapable of producing music that entertains me, or mixing music well enough to warrant my attention, cuz when you get some cock-to-fader action it's like... you know, gg allin is dead. and he was a trailblazer. you're not gg allin, doormouse, hell you're not even shitmat, who isn't even soundmurderer, who isn't even dev/null, who isn't even xanopticon, who isn't FFF. y'all superjungle mofos sound the same to me, save snares because he's like the name brand piss beer of the IDM world, and like... wow.

as for live shows, best electronic music live show i've seen, hands down, was mouse on mars. in mid 01 they played the double door for the niun nigging tour and in 02 they played metro for... shit that's that next album called? actionist respoke?!@ but whatever: for both shows they had their drummer dodo there with his drums and about 8 electronic pads that had an array of electronic sounds programmed in them so he had a mad drumming repetoire around him. one dude had a pedistal with like 12 guitar pedals on it, and another 10 on the ground, and he had a little korg-looking synth... kind of the size of a micromoog or something. then there was a third guy with a guitar and some pedals and efx... when they played live, they played like a jamband, doing extended versions of all of their "big" songs and adding on extra reprises and sometimes whole new parts, like, a second or even third harmony... fucking impressive. it was the only "real"/"live" electronic music show i'ev ever seen.

that said, my memories of seeing rdj play mp3s off of his laptop with dancing bears 3 feet from my faec whilst surrounded by goths flailing to the heliospan remix, well, that's still you know... that's cherished. but in terms of talent, mouse on mars wins.

dont get me wrong tho, by 03 i saw them at the double door again and was so worked up like YEAH cuz i heard a new mix at the time and it was incredible i wanted to hear how they'd take these brilliant tracks and extend them and jam out not too indifferent from phish or the dead... but nope. two guys one laptop. omfg i need to make a thread about that.

alarm will sound was the only "electronic" . . or electronic-related . . show worth anything i've ever seen.

you know why that was? because it was A LIVE PERFORMANCE WITH INSTRUMENTS, and they KILLED IT.

i've enjoyed laptop shows, but only because they are loud.

Just remembered that Doormouse used to do it up right with tons of vodka, getting naked and jumping onto other performer's tables during their sets. Though, it pissed a lot of people off more than it garnered any plus points. He made a lot of enemies in the UK but that's how we Yanks do.

saskrotch onec sent me a giant, like, 2500x1200 pixels or something ridiculous, picture of doormouse doing his "dick doormouse" routine where he's butt ass naked and moving the crossfader with his dick.

please post this picture, this is much cooler than his blinged out doormouse logo stationwagon

Guest abusivegeorge

GO NIEK

george have you found House Stabs yet? :music:

[

Edit, sorry I thought you were someone else, yes mate it's track 11.

7772436_1dec1375c6.jpg

Vainio is dope

I've seen some impressive american acts handle large lit venues of techno-weary audiences, ie. eats tapes, cex, matmos, but personally i think the form lends itself MUCH BETTER to dark dank warehouses packed with girating mutants.. methinks its best for prudish, self-conscious audiences not to worry abt the wizard behind the knobs

Guest theSun

nice visuals are cool and everything but i make music to be heard. we'll usually just pop on some old cheesy movie or this compilation of video clips edited put together by a friend for visuals and then just turn the lights off. most of the preparation for our shows is arranging our songs in interesting ways and having a good dynamic flow. and using live instruments.

i'm too much of an ae dork to make our visuals too showy.

• 8 months later...
Guest margaret thatcher

99% of live electonic music is just djing your own music with a few added effects. it's not a new thing - pre 1993, it was all done off playing studio dats as "live pas" - basically playing your record with maybe a vocalist on stage and some dancers. then adats meant you can fiddle with a few things.

but unless you haul round your entire studio, it's borderline impossible, and the point of live electonic music is to get people to dance, not to get people to stand in a room going "gee, that guy's playing all that live, how impressive."

case in point - daft punk live. none of it is live, but it's an amazing experience. who cares if it's not live? only the fucking geeky trainspotters in trenchcoats.

as it happens, due to the advent of ableton live, it's become much easier to play more live - you can respond to the crowd, make a part longer if the crowd are loving it, and cut short a part that the crowd aren't feeling. however the majority of live electonic music is still done by playing a wav. it's lazy now, there's no excuses for it. case in point - squarepusher's live in japan cd, what a load of bullshit.

Guest Greg Reason

With Purity Device we run electronics from laptop with live drums, guitars, bass, keys etc The drummer gets a click track and we synch to him. Good monitoring is a bonus (but doesn't happen often) for keeping locked to the electronics.

More live acts should have a "special" venue like that. It doesnt need to be physically outside a club: this one time there were a few djs playing and they had set up old consoles so you could listen to music , dance a little or play pac-man.

Another great example is Terpentintollwuts Trolley Twister ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clyDL_KSz3c

Guest chax

I saw The Glitch Mob last week and was amazed at how good of a live show it was. They had drums, live guitars, keyboards, some vocal stuff, really cool visuals, and about 5 or 6 jazzmutant lemur's that were pointed downwards towards the audience so you could see everything that they were doing. It seemed like every minute or so they would switch to a different instrument or pick up and put down a guitar. Really cool stuff, I took a bunch of crappy videos and photos with my phone but check out this video from another show:

(edIT in the middle)

I can't wait until the album's out on May 25th. Deru was opening for them as well and he was great, but he basically was what everyone in this thread hates, just played an ableton live set directly from his latest album and tweaked a bunch of stuff on the fly with i think an APC40. Overall I'm really glad I went to the show, had a great time

there's a band based in Liverpool that i like, they're called capac and are pretty good live, not lazy at all.

they dropped a fucking blinder of a track the other day, some awesome drum sample live retrigging and stuff. these guys are quite inspired by My Bloody Valentine and Four Tet, and i highly recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

Archived