IGNORED

Ghost Box Subforum

Caretstik

In other Moon Wiring news, anyone notice that The Wire also offered a free ep to download along with his mix? Nice!

Also found this great mix by Ian for Bleep43's podcast.

What do guys thing the next GB release will be after the Mind How You Go vinyl? New Advisory Circle maybe?

In other Moon Wiring news, anyone notice that The Wire also offered a free ep to download along with his mix? Nice!

What do guys thing the next GB release will be after the Mind How You Go vinyl? New Advisory Circle maybe?

No! Thank you for the heads up, you've just got me very excited, I never knew a thing about it. And I found the podcast a while ago, I agree it's shit-hot. As for the next GB, I'd be interesting to hear the next step for The Focus Group after the Broadcast collab.

Edit: I got so excited in fact that I failed to the preceding posts. Thanks dudes, this is all amazing stuff.

Edited by Caretstik

No! Thank you for the heads up, you've just got me very excited, I never knew a thing about it. And I found the podcast a while ago, I agree it's shit-hot. As for the next GB, I'd be interesting to hear the next step for The Focus Group after the Broadcast collab.

No prob, that older podcast has really helped me get through work today- I'd love to take a look through his record collection for sure! I agree on The Focus Group- would love to hear something new from Julian. I think "Witch Cults" gets better with every listen.

There really should be a forum for this stuff somewhere...

Sorry I keep posting in here (my new favorite "Featured Artist" subforum :happy: ), but I just happened to read this interview with Jim Jupp and he spoke to what the next release(s) on GB will be- it's better than we could have imagined!

Right now, Jupp and House are working away together on a new collaborative project, along with John Brooks of The Advisory Circle, whose 2008 album Other Channels has been the most explicit attempt on Ghost Box so far to create a wholly plausible, yet horrible, television broadcast. Their new alias is The Elsewhere Quartet. As Jupp explains, it will be “slightly new territory for Ghost Box but we think it will also really fit in… It’s got a lot of early ’60s electronic sounds and jazz elements, so it will be a bit like Joe Meek, and John Baker’s stuff for the BBC, electronic jazz. A sound palette from a world that could be about 1962.” Don’t expect them to be cracking out the tenor saxophones any time soon, though. “None of us are jazz musicians, so we won’t get in over our depths with that,” Jupp advises. “We’ll put a toe in the waters. But it’s electronic music and we’re not pretending it’s anything else.”

2009 will be busy year for Ghost Box, with an album release by either The Elsewhere Quartet or The Advisory Circle, “whichever is finished first.”...

Please, post away to your heart's content! I had heard something about this collab in the past (from kaini, iirc), but thought it had been shelved. Glad that's still on, from their description it sounds like it could end up as being definitive GB. I think some collab with Moon Wiring Club would be amazing too. I wouldn't be completely surprised if that came about, even more so because of this. I've never wished that I lived in Birmingham so much.

I like Ghost Box and should listen to the artists more but it's only the Advisory Circle's last album I've really fallen for. That Roj album from last year is really hard to get into especially but its nice stuff. Just have to be more patient with it I guess.

I really dug Belbury Poly's from An Ancient Star. Great label, I read the last book from C.S. Lewis's space trilogy, which has a locale called Belbury, before I started checking it out. Before that I read some pitchfork review about the Ghost Box compilation.

now you need the advisory circle's other channels and belbury's the owl's map (infinitely superior to from an ancient star imo)

and if you like fucked-up loops, everything the focus group (my favourite gbx) have released

also go read some arthur machen and lovecraft, it helps

Edited by kaini

now you need the advisory circle's other channels and belbury's the owl's map (infinitely superior to from an ancient star imo)

and if you like fucked-up loops, everything the focus group (my favourite gbx) have released

You are a wise man

i'd love to hear a completely blatant ghost box 'lovecraft' album. i mean eric zann was pretty close, but imagine a focus group/belbury poly imaginary soundtrack to at the mountains of madness, it would be unbelievably fucking amazing... actually imagine a non-imaginary new soundtrack to one of the quatermass movies, that would be just as good.

Edited by kaini

jon 'advisory circle' brooks now has a blog too:

http://cafekaput.blogspot.com/

Noticed that today- he's on Twitter as well: http://twitter.com/advisorycircle

Ghost Box is becoming much less mysterious, in a good way of course....

yup yup http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000248377551

Sorry I keep posting in here (my new favorite "Featured Artist" subforum :happy: ), but I just happened to read this interview with Jim Jupp and he spoke to what the next release(s) on GB will be- it's better than we could have imagined!

Along with disco, there is a hint of glam to the album, a faint trace of Roxy Music’s strange glitter.

this is very insightful imo.

Edited by kaini

You are a wise man

Agreed.

imagine a non-imaginary new soundtrack to one of the quatermass movies

This has to be done, it could be the apogee for GB. I agree that's a very insightful interview, I never made a connection with John Wyndham before but now it seems obvious. Think Chocky and the Midwich Cuckoos especially. And if anyone were to take an interest in GB, the old cliche of 'just get everything' couldn't apply more. Still a fairly small back catalogue I'll grant you, but the only label I can think of whose every release is absolutely essential.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stoppit

My Advisory Circle vinyl has been dispatched, and the free digital version is now available to anyone that pre-ordered!

other interesting news:

Jon Brooks of The Advisory Circle will be a guest on Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone this Sunday (7th March) on BBC6 Music as 5:30pm. He'll be talking all about Ghost Box and his other projects and playing some tracks from the new album as well as an exclusive track that you won't be able to hear anywhere else. If you miss the show it will available on the BBC's listen again service all of next week.

Tickets for the Belbury Youth Club night in Birmingham's Vivid on 28th March are now available price £7.00 from the Flat Pack Festival web site. Keep an eye on our website and the Belbury Parish Magazine for details.

Finally the next release on Ghost Box is the first of a series of collaborative projects between Ghost Box artists and friends of the label. The first of these will be a 7" single featuring Belbury Poly and The Moon Wiring Club available this June. Look out for news of more Revised Editions of our older releases soon too.

Thank you for listening.

looking foward to that Belbury Poly/Moon Wiring Club 7" :emotawesomepm9:

also, Kaini's idea of a Quatermass score would probably be the greatest thing ever in the history of stuff

the unreleased track is 'a chance to gaze at a beautiful colour' and was written for and dedicated to corinna tomrley, a friend of mine and jon brooks too. she's a nice girl.

Guest Stoppit

The download area of Greedbag seems to be unavailable tonight, bugger.

I managed to download it, but that was a few hours ago

The download area of Greedbag seems to be unavailable tonight, bugger.

I managed to download it, but that was a few hours ago

Me too now, no problems with it tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok. The Jon Brooks Podcast is going to happen. It's available from this Sunday evening at around 8pm (give or take an hour or so). It will be weekly on Sundays and there will be 6 episodes in the first season. The playlist is everything and anything, no thoughts on making the running order smooth or any such devices, but will mainly feature library music, psych-pop, girl group / singer stuff, OSTs, electronics, new things... just good music. It will be available to download from my blog:

Ok. The Jon Brooks Podcast is going to happen. It's available from this Sunday evening at around 8pm (give or take an hour or so). It will be weekly on Sundays and there will be 6 episodes in the first season. The playlist is everything and anything, no thoughts on making the running order smooth or any such devices, but will mainly feature library music, psych-pop, girl group / singer stuff, OSTs, electronics, new things... just good music. It will be available to download from my blog:

Saw this yesterday- should be a diverse and interesting listen for sure!