IGNORED

Fred McGriff

it's not just that the overall story is an archetype, it's that almost every scene is borrowed from something else, only with pretty graphics.

how many of you knew that t'sutey or whatever had a love interest for chitara before it was revealed?. the thanator chase scene is another example i have mentioned before. plus some other stuff that just shows lazyness in the writing.

as a storytelling thing, it is a mess.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to regret bringing District 9 into this... but I think I can still make it seem relevant somehow :P

District 9 was to me what a good blockbuster should be like. Sure it straddles the line of "art movie" (for want of a better term) but let's face it, it's a balls out action movie, with no grander purpose than to entertain. It did it with style, it did it with depth (again, without being preachy), it did it with heart. It showed a realistic understanding of the real world and then planted a completely unreal element in it, and had fun with it, which in turn, let US have fun with it.

Avatar seems to show only an understanding of cliches.

I haven't seen Avatar yet but I don't think it will annoy me more than District 9. I thought that movie went off the rails completely in the second act. Not because of the action, but because of the nonsensical chain of events and absurd attempts at tear-jerking the audience.

my criticisms are not based on the fact that the story has been done before. I'm fine with that.

what I'm saying is that the dialogue was poorly written. Joyrex, I love a good popcorn movie. But we distinguish those that are done exceptionally well and those that are not. "Unobtanium"? I would have written that in high school. Even if you cast the acting aside, the dialogue as written is terrible. And it's really a shame because the world that's created in the movie is engrossing. It deserves a better script.

I'm starting to regret bringing District 9 into this... but I think I can still make it seem relevant somehow :P

District 9 was to me what a good blockbuster should be like. Sure it straddles the line of "art movie" (for want of a better term) but let's face it, it's a balls out action movie, with no grander purpose than to entertain. It did it with style, it did it with depth (again, without being preachy), it did it with heart. It showed a realistic understanding of the real world and then planted a completely unreal element in it, and had fun with it, which in turn, let US have fun with it.

Avatar seems to show only an understanding of cliches.

what i like about district 9 is that everyone in that movie except maybe the litle alien kid is an asshole but you can sympathize with the characters.

in avatar you can't put yourself in the place of any character and understand it. even the fact that jakesully is paraplegic seems of no relevance to the story at all. as i said, this movie has no characters, just things with names that make things happen.

"Unobtanium"? I would have written that in high school.

alzado; again, still not seen the movie, but 'unobtanium' is a... how should i put it? a sci-fi archetype - it's sort of like the wilhelm scream or nozz-a-la or klondike 555. it is a sorta beloved cliche in not only scifi but sometimes engineering or chemistry or other things as well.

think of unobtanium as a special form of kryptonite which possesses whatever qualities the plot/theory/stoned rambling needs it to have, but is impossibly rare on earth/[expensive/toxic] to mine/only exists on an asteroid or mars or some shit.

edit: which is also magical.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I thought unobtainium sounded a bit daft, but if you do much science you'll find scientists name discoveries that badly all the time, I'm almost surprised there isn't a real unobtainium. For example Seaborgium, Ununnilium, Promethium... Or countless biological things with ridiculous names, theres a gene named after Sonic The Hedgehog.

I haven't seen Avatar yet but I don't think it will annoy me more than District 9. I thought that movie went off the rails completely in the second act. Not because of the action, but because of the nonsensical chain of events and absurd attempts at tear-jerking the audience.

trust me it cant annoy more than district 9

I thought unobtainium sounded a bit daft, but if you do much science you'll find scientists name discoveries that badly all the time, I'm almost surprised there isn't a real unobtainium. For example Seaborgium, Ununnilium, Promethium... Or countless biological things with ridiculous names, theres a gene named after Sonic The Hedgehog.

A friend of a friend of mine is a mathematician who discovered/invented some kind of math theory thingy that he decided to name something like the Optimus Prime number.

Hmm. Just got a copy of District 9 today... I was told it was rather gory in some parts.

Yeah it is... I love the film (in case you couldn't tell) but I can definitely see why some people don't like it. And it's a fun kind of gore.

Guest Archrival

Ok, here's the real question for you hard-core film freaks:

Any of you that love Tarkovski's Stalker or Nostalgia and have seen Avatar, could you say Avatar has ANYTHING at all against those two masterpieces? Aesthetically I mean. This I really want to know.

Nostalgia = 10/10

Stalker = 10/10

Solaris = 10/10

Saw this evening on I-max 3D and its one of the worst movies I ever seen.

Archived