IGNORED

JD Salinger Dead at 91

Alzado

JD_Salinger.jpg

Reportedly, he had 5 unpublished manuscripts in his files that he refused to publish because of his disdain for the publishing industry and perhaps the world in general.

Hopefully those will see the light of day.

Guest 277: 930-933

I've only ever read Catcher in the Rye, any advice on what to read next?

It was enjoyable, kind of like reading a BEE novel...

Reportedly, he had 5 unpublished manuscripts in his files that he refused to publish because of his disdain for the publishing industry and perhaps the world in general.

Not sure about that. Hopefully his family will respect his wishes rather than digging for money.

"9 Short Stories" was always a favorite of mine.

Here is an author passed I truly lament.

Not sure about that. Hopefully his family will respect his wishes rather than digging for money.

No, I think he intended for things to be published after his death:

In her memoir, Margaret Salinger describes the detailed filing system her father had for his unpublished manuscripts: "A red mark meant, if I die before I finish my work, publish this 'as is,' blue meant publish but edit first, and so on."

Franny and Zooey or Perfect Day For Bananafish next Id recommend, but theres not that much stuff out there. RIp

Franny and Zooey or Perfect Day For Bananafish next Id recommend, but theres not that much stuff out there. RIp

Bananafish is one of the 9 Stories. He only had 4 books published along with a handful of uncollected short stories published in the New Yorker.

No, I think he intended for things to be published after his death:

In her memoir, Margaret Salinger describes the detailed filing system her father had for his unpublished manuscripts: "A red mark meant, if I die before I finish my work, publish this 'as is,' blue meant publish but edit first, and so on."

Wow, fair enough. Here we go then... Salinger-Mania

JD_Salinger.jpg

Speaking of posthumous publishing, has anyone read The Original of Laura?

I did. It's beautifully... banal. It,s not a long read (basically each two page you have one of his scanned card and the text on the other)

Guest hahathhat

ghost in the shell tv series was big into salinger... that's really the first i'd heard of it since high school. anything i missed, that i should grab?

I did. It's beautifully... banal. It,s not a long read (basically each two page you have one of his scanned card and the text on the other)

Oh, that's kind of what I thought it'd be like. Glad I didn't buy it then!

Archived