IGNORED

roger ebert is dying in increments

Guest chax

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that article really affected me; it's been on my mind all night.

maybe i'm just a pussy - but i'd give anything to have a job i wake up to every morning looking forward to, like ebert clearly has.

the lucky bastard.

I want Roger (and all the fucking critics) to make a movie themselves ..

They seem to know soooo much about movies .. the final product should be PERFECT

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Proof that these Idiots know nothing about Film making ..

Roger "Jaws" Ebert is a failed Filmmaker ..

P.s - Ebert is a nice guy , and i like some of his political views ..

Will somebody ban this cuntbox?

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

i thought i remember reading that he was outraged by night of the living dead upon its original release, but after skimming the original review, it looks like thats not true. i dont know, maybe its just my perception

I'm not disputing you -- just that the thought never occured to me.

also, he's been writing for almost 50 years -- society was a LOT more conservative back then.

If you read his blog (I do) he talks about stuff he did in college and his early life... he just doesn't strike me as conservative in any way.

Guest Al Hounos

he's the only critic i put much stock in - he is always able to appreciate a movie for what it is: He'll trash a pretentious artsy wank-fest just as quickly as he will hollywood drivel, but he'll aways give thoughtful review to films made with real passion, regardless of where it came from or even how the finished product turned out...

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

He also has a hard on for Werner Herzog, which is great.

He keeps writing about like half a dozen Herzog films he's seen that have never been released.

"A war of words erupted between Gallo and popular film critic Roger Ebert in 2003 regarding Ebert's statement that The Brown Bunny was the worst film in the history of Cannes. Gallo retorted by calling Ebert a "fat pig with the physique of a slave trader" and put a hex on Ebert, wishing him colon cancer. Ebert then responded, paraphrasing a statement once made by Winston Churchill that "although I am fat, one day I will be thin, but Mr. Gallo will still have been the director of The Brown Bunny." Regarding Gallo's alleged hex, Ebert quipped "the video of my colonoscopy is more entertaining than your movie," a comment that Gallo later claimed to find funny. Ebert responded favorably to Gallo's second edit of The Brown Bunny which stripped 26 minutes from the runtime, and the pair reconciled amicably thereafter.

A shorter, re-edited version of the film played later in 2003 at the Toronto International Film Festival (although it retained the controversial sex scene). While not receiving the highest praise, neither did it garner the same level of derision as the Cannes version, and on the August 28, 2004 episode of the television show Ebert & Roeper, Ebert gave the new version of the film a "thumbs up" rating. In a column published at about the same time, Ebert reported that he and Gallo had made peace."

That's a proper feud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Gallo

I think it's one of life's little blessings he's a writer so he can basically continue his career until he dies, although I was sad to see him say he still misses Gene Siskel, they were closer than I realized.

Guest Mirezzi

I

believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.

It's impossible to read that and be cynical enough not to be moved by it.

Ebert is a legend, despite the many times I've disagreed with him. I will say this...when I've really enjoyed OR despised a movie, Ebert has always been one of the first reviews I'd look for to see how our perspectives aligned.

• 3 months later...

Archived