IGNORED

Deepchord presents Echospace - Liumin

azatoth

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hanratty

these guys are good, but can be a little pretenscious. something about it irks me. Coldest Season was very good, and earlier Deepchord was great, but a lot of their other dub techno stuff..it's too wishy-washy, is it ambient? is it techno? what am i supposed to do with this stuff anyway?

There's a cd called Rod Modell plays Michael Mantra which is two 30 min jams. might be my favorite thing from Modell

Guest Enter a new display name

I liked the last Echospace but it was way too noisy. I know that this comes from all the delays but still...

This is without a doubt's Rod Modell's doing, and I think it adds an interesting texture to all the tracks. Without that static noise, I am sure the music would have an "empty feeling".

these guys are good, but can be a little pretenscious. something about it irks me. Coldest Season was very good, and earlier Deepchord was great, but a lot of their other dub techno stuff..it's too wishy-washy, is it ambient? is it techno? what am i supposed to do with this stuff anyway?

There's a cd called Rod Modell plays Michael Mantra which is two 30 min jams. might be my favorite thing from Modell

I would not say this is pretentious of them... Some of their vinyls are not worth it, that's all.

Guest Hanratty

i think my gripe is that i like everything rod modell does but very little of what steve hitchell does.

i think my gripe is that i like everything rod modell does but very little of what steve hitchell does.

I used to think this until I heard the earlier Soultek stuff, which is incredibly solid, as well as his work as Intrusion, which I think I prefer even over some of the Modell stuff. Plus even though Brock Van Wey's "White Clouds" record wasn't really my thing at all, the second disc of Intrusion mixes was a *pristine* example of ambient reggae infused dub techno (at least as I like it to sound). Also his Variant ambient stuff is pretty solid in the right mood...

Sheesh. Fanboy sounding now. I don't actually LOVE everything he does but needless to say I am quite happy he's in a band with Rod Modell now.

I liked the last Echospace but it was way too noisy. I know that this comes from all the delays but still...

This is without a doubt's Rod Modell's doing, and I think it adds an interesting texture to all the tracks. Without that static noise, I am sure the music would have an "empty feeling".

I don't mind a little noise like on the Rhythm & Sound tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgV2OXldFiA

...but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGAHeWVRqr4

Personally I love Modell's way with the textures. Lovely white noise and flanging and delay...I find that it really widens the stereo field in a very unexpected way.

Guest Hanratty

i like the early Soultek stuff too, but then he found the dub techno formula and seems to be sticking to it with Intrusion. the soultek tracks had more variety: detroit/triphop/house, etc.

The Soultek and Intrusion projects are so innovative for their time, both monikers were unreleased material from circa 1993-2002 or something. I really don't know why Hitchell released them so late.

Guest Hanratty

The Soultek and Intrusion projects are so innovative for their time, both monikers were unreleased material from circa 1993-2002 or something. I really don't know why Hitchell released them so late.

Intrusion is from 1993-2002? I was unaware of that!

from an interview

it took a lot of time to build up the courage, music to me was so personal it was really hard for me to make a commitment towards release, which is partially why so much work that I’ve done in the 90s has been coming out just recent.

http://dontforgettogohome.blogspot.com/2010/05/echospace-sonic-quest.html

from an interview

it took a lot of time to build up the courage, music to me was so personal it was really hard for me to make a commitment towards release, which is partially why so much work that I’ve done in the 90s has been coming out just recent.

http://dontforgettogohome.blogspot.com/2010/05/echospace-sonic-quest.html

I just read the whole interview. Those pictures taken in Japan are breathtaking, way better than Modell's previous photographs for the compilation CDs on Echospace [detroit].

Guest fox

i for one like the hiss present in the echospace releases. it adds texture.

i second this

I don't mind a little noise like on the Rhythm & Sound tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgV2OXldFiA

...but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGAHeWVRqr4

yeah, both are nice, each in its own way.

• 2 weeks later...

There is someone on last.fm who is currently listening to Liumin (a reliable source that reviews electronic music). Leak soon?

There is someone on last.fm who is currently listening to Liumin (a reliable source that reviews electronic music). Leak soon?

fingers crossed. i'll buy it but i wanna hear it soonlike too

Archived