IGNORED

deleting facebook

vamos scorcho

facebook is just another watch the new reality reality tv world on the internet now that the feds are onto torrents keeping you from watching divx reality tv shows

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the problem with facebook for internet addicts is that you're exposing yourself in bad ways to people in your actual real life society. so it has consequences.

conversely, technology can be used to narrow the gap between those in power and the "underlings." it's not all bad.

i know that. but it's absolutely not being used for this. furthermore, it cannot start this way because it will be discovered/crushed by the powers much more easily, and believe me the powers are a strong, evil force as a whole.

i'm going to write a short essay on why we should all delete facebook and post it here in a bit. the energy drinks have inspired me, coupled with the feeling i get that some of you think i'm stupid for deleting it. i must be understood.

i don't think you're stupid for deleting it.

i do, however, think that you're late to the party and you seem to be jumping on the bandwaggon of the current "trend" in hating on facebook.

forgive my cynicism, if you've genuinely only just realised that facebook is a detriment to your personal internet experience then so be it. it's just a bit of a coincidence that's all.

Guest Enter a new display name

While this thread is about facebook profile deletion, I want to take this opportunity to tell Abusivegeorge he can delete his dupe account. I have seen countless recommended friends with "Abusivegeorge and Abusivegeorge" in common, haha.

i didn't notice the trend. but i have deleted my facebook several times, changed my name to Jennifer Morris, and always been drawn back to it because i have felt disconnected. which is fucked up. it's my problem on one end though.

i've been very critical of it and myspace and such from the start, and forums, and especially fucking blog journals!

but yeah, the actual reason i went through with it (hopefully) for good this time is that i saw that someone was trying to do worldwide delete your facebook day on reddit tomorrow.

also one of my good friends is deleting his, it's actually sort of an event for us, which is really hilarious and possibly pathetic.

Guest abusivegeorge

While this thread is about facebook profile deletion, I want to take this opportunity to tell Abusivegeorge he can delete his dupe account. I have seen countless recommended friends with "Abusivegeorge and Abusivegeorge" in common, haha.

Ah, yes I do need to sort that shit out.

now i'm worried that the some of the 200 people who may possibly notice i deleted my facebook are going to think i'm a hipster

i'm not a hipster, but holy shit i'm definitely highly evolved

Facebook will soon be replaced just like myspace, friendster, etc. Get out now and don't look back if you're that concerned. Who cares if someone thinks you're a hipster. It's becoming hipster to say hipster at this point.

I have a facebook account but... for some reason don't use it that much. I don't hate it, but its just not my thing. I do feel weird sometimes when I log on and see someone I know posting and doing a million things on it. Its like they have a whole new personality outside of real life, just tucked away on some page. I feel I don't really know this person. The beauty of watmm and other forums is I can do the same thing and none of my close friends even know about it.

that's the thing I don't get. I use facebook, max three times a day, somedays not at all. Never for any more than say 20 minutes at a shot.

I bet you spend way more time on here Vamos Scorchos...not getting shit done (I know I do...).

And if you really think that technology isn't being used to narrow the gap between those in power and the underlings, you're badly out of touch.

I do feel weird sometimes when I log on and see someone I know posting and doing a million things on it. Its like they have a whole new personality outside of real life, just tucked away on some page. I feel I don't really know this person. The beauty of watmm and other forums is I can do the same thing and none of my close friends even know about it.

So because they act out their virtual life in front of their friends, they are somehow lesser than someone who chooses to hide in relative anonymity while acting out their virtual life?

I must reiterate: I am not defending facebook, as I don't particularly approve of their policies regarding user profiles and mined data. I am simply stating that social networking in and of itself is not inherently a bad thing.

Guest vodor

i check facebook maybe 3 times a week, and just read the news feed and see what people are up to. i think it's useful for that.

but i'm reeaally uncomfortable with facebook's privacy policy. zuckerberg that prick can go fuck some nasty shit, the fucker.

so i'm at the point where i'd like to get all my shit off there, but still spy on my friends a few times a week.

but i feel like the cat's sorta out of the bag. lots of my friends have pictures of me, for example, and i'm tagged, and god knows what their privacy settings are.

i guess i can remove all tags of me. that's kinda rude though. and there's no stopping people from adding more tags. it's not a battle that i care to fight.

i can delete my account but my pictures will still be there and whatever friends want to post pictures of me and put my name on it can do so. so what's the point really?

i'd remove all my music, movies, books stuff but i like to show my tastes off.

i guess facebook doesn't really have any real juicy information that it could be wicked with, so whatever. i don't use any apps and i sure as hell am not going to link my facebook account to anything else. that's where the real shit is.

do i even know what i'm talking about? someone help me here.

While I agree that many people are utter fucktards on facebook, I still think it's a pretty decent way of staying in touch with old friends and family. As well as reminding me of birthdays, since I don't remember any of that shit anyway.

Also, I get to act out my voyeurism.

i check facebook maybe 3 times a week, and just read the news feed and see what people are up to. i think it's useful for that.

but i'm reeaally uncomfortable with facebook's privacy policy. zuckerberg that prick can go fuck some nasty shit, the fucker.

so i'm at the point where i'd like to get all my shit off there, but still spy on my friends a few times a week.

but i feel like the cat's sorta out of the bag. lots of my friends have pictures of me, for example, and i'm tagged, and god knows what their privacy settings are.

i guess i can remove all tags of me. that's kinda rude though. and there's no stopping people from adding more tags. it's not a battle that i care to fight.

i can delete my account but my pictures will still be there and whatever friends want to post pictures of me and put my name on it can do so. so what's the point really?

i'd remove all my music, movies, books stuff but i like to show my tastes off.

i guess facebook doesn't really have any real juicy information that it could be wicked with, so whatever. i don't use any apps and i sure as hell am not going to link my facebook account to anything else. that's where the real shit is.

do i even know what i'm talking about? someone help me here.

Once you untag yourself you can't be re-tagged, and yes, you can choose how much your friends can show about you. It's in your privacy settings. I just pretty much put most of my stuff to friends only, or friends of friends. And if you really don't want it on there, just don't put it. I don't put anything serious on there, and most pictures are from my friends at parties and such. I also don't use any apps or anything (except bad company 2 stats lol).

I would suggest just taking the time to go through all the settings and make sure you know what you're putting out there.

There was the Web2.0 suicide machine that would remove all your friends and pictures and then change your password so you couldn't go back on (worked for twitter, myspace and facebook). They got a cease and desist letter from facebook becasue you had to give your password for them to do it and that's against facebook policy.

i don't use any apps and i sure as hell am not going to link my facebook account to anything else. that's where the real shit is.

Yeah I use two apps that are non-standard, one of which is non-social (it's a korean dictionary of Chinese characters) and the other is youtube box. Linking my facebook site to anything else..lol like that's ever going to happen.

i agree with previous post that said facebook is website

The old me would have yelled "FUCK YOU IT IS NOT A WEBSITE" just to be contrarian.

Once you untag yourself you can't be re-tagged, and yes, you can choose how much your friends can show about you. It's in your privacy settings. I just pretty much put most of my stuff to friends only, or friends of friends. And if you really don't want it on there, just don't put it. I don't put anything serious on there, and most pictures are from my friends at parties and such. I also don't use any apps or anything (except bad company 2 stats lol).

I would suggest just taking the time to go through all the settings and make sure you know what you're putting out there.

Yeah my privacy settings are pretty high, I don't think I'm even searchable to non-friends. I didn't know that about the once you're untagged that's it thing. That's cool...

I deleted my Facebook account ages ago...I fucking hated it. But then it got mysteriously re activated a few months later, so I had to fucking delete it all again, then request a total, absolute, never-want-your-shit-website-to-darken-my-door-again account removal. Facebook is probably the worst thing to happen to the Internet.

Meh its a useful site at times. I probably do go on it too often. I should have deleted it during the exams but theyre over tomorrow so not really much point. Few people got someone else to change their password so they couldn't go on it.

I could do without all the stupid groups and fan pages, just a simple networking site.

Archived