IGNORED

I'm afraid of flying

jules

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly, what works best for me is to assume I am dying before I get on the plane. I make an effort to become complete with the sumation of my life and to remind myself that I've made it a priority to lead a virtuous life and to not hurt anyone... for the most part, anyway.

This way, when I land safely, it's like "Whoa. I was totally wrong. I survived. Kick ass!"

it also helps me with turbulence. When we hit the chops or have a sudden drop, I still get scared but the thought I have less of an "oh no!" and more of a "it's showtime!".

I'm going to try .75 mg Xanax about an hour before takeoff. Hope it does the trick and I don't need to resort to taking a dump or fapping into blue water

3 hours and counting...

are you small and kid-like?

i heard that a kid-like bone structure is very beneficial when flying, since the bones are softer and flexible and less likely to get all crushed up and mashed

like with that boy who was the sole survivor in that plane crash over tripoli last week

Guest chunky

longest flight ive been on is tokyo to london with BA

took 14 hours

things i found that help:

*make use of the complimentary alcohol, drink whisky coke or whatever. the attendant will probably be hot and flirt with you. booze + hotwomantalk will chill you out a bit. when i did 10 hour peking to frankfurt i drank all the whisky on the plane heeh.

*chat with your neighbour. most people are friendly. if your neighbour is shit you can ask to change seat and the attendant might get someone to swap with you.

*choose an aisle seat, so you can easily get up and walk to the toilet and you feel a bit less claustrophobic because there's space next to you.

*make good use of the headphones and seat-television. the films and music ain't that bad. last time i watched annie hall, ironman, jumper, mr bean... listened to the latest radiohead album..... not perfect stuff but a good distraction.

*listen out for notices from the pilot, because he'll let you know about any turbulence or bad weather. then you can prepare for the plane shaking or whatever, and you know it's coming so you don't get alarmed.

*make the most of what they offer you... food, drinks, or whatever

OH and if the plane does crash or something goes wrong, people reckon the best thing to do is stay calm. many people survive the initial crash but waste their energy screaming and shouting when they should be resting.

sorry for tldr, im flying to china soon on a 11 and half hour flight so im worried myself coz i dont really like flying. i would say the best thing is to just make the most of it, cos if you are going to die you might as well go down while boozing on whisky and chatting up sexy flight attendants

Put yourself in the position of the pilots. They have complete fucking confidence in what they are doing, they've done it thousands of times. There's a very very low chance of anything going wrong, thats why it becomes such big news when there is a disaster. It's not really the fear of the plane crashing, I think the fear comes from not having control over what happens. Basically you just need to trust the pilots, look them in the eye when boarding the plane(they are usually standing there by the door to the cockpit) and tell yourself "these are the guys that are driving, and they look trustworthy and confident and ready to fly without worry, why should I?". My theory is that if you can connect yourself to a specific person and put your trust in them, rather than the overall machine that is the airplane, it will become much easier to cope with that fear.

PS- sorry if this sounds fucking retarded.

i know the normal idea is that it's an anxiety thing, but personally it's more about trust than anything else. by taking a flight there are a LOT of things you could not trust (pilot, plane, weather,altitude). and although there are perfectly reasonable reasons to be sceptic, there's no reason you can be certain your lack of trust is doing justice to reality. imo, being on a plane is all about learning how to trust others. lots of people instinctively do that, some don't.

I also hate flying but once I'm up in the clouds i like it. landing is also cool too!

I don't like take off and the first 5 minutes of take off, because thats when i feel the plane will crash. so i pretend to be asleep.

plus it always is better flying with a friend, i wasnt half as nervous when i flew back from malta with edmx, i didnt fly with anyone for about 10 years before that.

nice ammount of drinks are also a good way too as well.

also a strange thing happend the last 3 times i flew.. a plane crash or malfunction usually happens with in a week of me flying

Guest ruiagnelo

I got nervous the first time i was about to enter an airplane, after that one, never happened again. I love it :yeah:

Guest we_kill_soapscum

i am the only person i know who does not mind / get incredibly aggravated by flying

whenever my gf and i go someplace she is always freaking out cursing like a sailor and im just like OO BURGER KING SWEET

Made it. Didn't take any dumps and dint have to spank either. As usual my anticipatory anxiety was worse than actually being on the plane. We hit 2 rough patches but the vodka helped that.

Xxx that's a funny but scary story. I had a flight similar to that when I was younger. People on the plane screamed avfew times some of the drops were so bad. I was too young for drugs then though but it also wasn't transatlantic so it wasn't as long.

Now I have 6 dats in lovely red rocked Sedona though so it's all good. Headed to caduceus later thus afternoon after some juevis racheros and a few cactus pear margaritas by the pool.

I also hate flying but once I'm up in the clouds i like it. landing is also cool too!

I don't like take off and the first 5 minutes of take off, because thats when i feel the plane will crash. so i pretend to be asleep.

This was me for the longest time.

I think I got over my problem with it on my flight to Thailand, it was God knows how long, and about 10 hours in I just got fed up of being scared, too much energy. The return trip I spent most of it checking out the live feed from the camera underneath the plane. That shit was cash.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chunky

12 hours london to shanghai

virgin atlantic crashed over siberia = chunky landed on the magic island from lost hehe

if the plane goes down chunky's got a drink of whisky and pinch the bum of the female milf pilot :D :D

cu on the other side m8s :-D

woot

Archived