IGNORED

Orbus Terrarum

dr lopez

Guest enxyme

My favorite... And the album that got me into electronic music for good...

The Orb were totally elaborate back then... Rich layering and high quality synth sounds... They also had a unique advantage in the electronic music world as they had access to "Major Label" mastering studios...

Cydonia... The most underrated Orb album...

Guest Greg Reason

margaret thatcher is dr. AP right?

mahahaha

I'm sure Marg would love that for the ease of access to Orb archives!

Guest ruiagnelo

oh yes The Orb. absolutely love it!

getting Orbus Terrarum now. how come i haven't heard the whole record yet?

Guest margaret thatcher

I got this when it came out in 1995, but it never really through to me. I'll check it out again.

for me, the best Orb album is "FFWD -> FFWD", although its not really the Orb, but Dr Alex and Fehlmann are involved, same as Orbus Terrarvm

(FFWD = Robert Fripp, Thomas Fehlmann, Kris Weston, and Dr. Alex Paterson.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd2n9Y6yFl0

ffwd is wonderful - i never new robert fripp did a project with the orb - fascinating

in my opinion, the demo is better. i'm uploading the flac for you fuckers now.

margaret thatcher is dr. AP right?

I'm fucking slow with these things. for months I thought analogue wings was wisp.

lol.

as requested, reupload of plateau demos (as well as occidental and oobe demos) being uploaded now.

any other requests while i've got nothing else planned this evening?

Guest margaret thatcher

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4742966/FFWD%20-%20Orbert%20-%20Demo.flac

ffwd demo, in flac

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4742966/The%20Orb%20-%20Codpiece%20_%20Occidental%20%28Demos%29.zip

codpiece / occidental demos

track listing:

01 Codpiece - Original

02 Codpiece - Easter Eggs A Crackling Shell

03 Codpiece - Moist Cow vs Towels of Rub

04 Codpiece - Occidental

05 Codpiece - Kris Needs Mix

Guest ruiagnelo

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4742966/FFWD%20-%20Orbert%20-%20Demo.flac

ffwd demo, in flac

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4742966/The%20Orb%20-%20Codpiece%20_%20Occidental%20%28Demos%29.zip

codpiece / occidental demos

track listing:

01 Codpiece - Original

02 Codpiece - Easter Eggs A Crackling Shell

03 Codpiece - Moist Cow vs Towels of Rub

04 Codpiece - Occidental

05 Codpiece - Kris Needs Mix

i love you!

Guest margaret thatcher

you'll love me even more if you find the link in my signature. i uploaded about 50 soundboard live recordings...

Guest ruiagnelo

you'll love me even more if you find the link in my signature. i uploaded about 50 soundboard live recordings...

If you mean the last one, i know of it already. Not a long time ago i found it and explored every little bit of it. I think i got everything with the exception of a couple of them which were not available or something like that.

If the website is yours, congrats mate, great job in there!

Inspired by this thread, I downloaded their newest one from Bleep - "Okie Dokie Its The Orb on Kompact"

Its really good actually - less sample based and more sortof deep rhythmic dubby techno. But there are layers and layers of shifting detail that makes it unmistakably Orb-ish.

check out 'Cool Harbour'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq5BG8AzZ6o

They've had one after Okie Dokie (which i never really liked. i think it's too 'indie label' maybe) called The Dream. i do really like a couple of them from that one. "Vuja De" is nice, powerful and poppy.

loved Orbvs Terrarvm for years. one of those early ones i heard in the 90s that set it all off. didn't finally buy it till years later but was a great buy. i've got the CD in one of those map slip cases like the 2xLP is in. saw the LP recently in a shop for like $20 too.

They've had two since Okie Dokie! The Dream is pretty poor I think, Alex taking his reggae/ragga/dub influences and just running with them, lots of vocals and pop songs. A few nice ambient bits towards the end.

Last year's Baghdad Batteries is marvellous, though, like a cross between Okie Dokie's minimal techno/house tones and the layered ambience of Terrarum. My favourite Orb record since Terrarum in fact, I think.

Guest ruiagnelo

i was under the impression that the Orbsessions series (including Baghdad Batteries) was all archival stuff, making it not new.

i thought that too. i guess they are just like FSOL's From the Archives series.

i was under the impression that the Orbsessions series (including Baghdad Batteries) was all archival stuff, making it not new.

baghdad batteries is entirely new material unlike the other two parts in the series and has become one of my favorite orbs

i thought the dream was a bit of a fall from grace - cydonia commonly known as a difficult album for many orb fan boy and girls to except with open ears

is complete genius when put up against dreams

Boomkat:

Reunited for the first time since 2005's Okie Dokie It's The Orb On Kompakt, Alex Patterson and Thomas Fehlmann

have set about recording brand new material for this third Orbsessions installment (the last two of which have been composites

of older fragments of material hauled out of the vaults). As you'd want from a new Orb release, the album is a dense flow of ambient

sounds, vividly rendered by these two most seasoned of producers in the field, but there's an unexpected disco-styled twist to the

record that takes hold of tracks such as 'Super Soakers' and 'Suburban Smog' that really nails the zeitgeist for ethereal dancefloor

sounds and heavily layered psychedelic loops. It wouldn't be entirely untoward to to suggest that Panda Bear has had some impact

on the sound of this album. You might even suggest that beyond The Orb's usual audience (who are unlikely to be disappointed with

the likes of 'Dolly Unit' and 'Orban Tumbleweed'), anyone who's found themselves intoxicated by the hazy 4/4 sounds of bands like

Air France - and of course, The Field - will appreciate much of Baghdad Batteries. It's as sumptuously well-assembled as ever, but

this new set from Patterson and Feldman finds The Orb sounding more tuned into the current

musical climate than you might have expected.

Edited by Redruth

Cydonia is fucking dope. if there ever was a shit one it's Bicycles & Tricycles. The Dream is platinum 10x over compared to that.

i think we should have an all out Orb album battle/bracketology! but it will be for the worst record. that will be the winner in this fight. and then we all have to put that record on repeat until we like it.

btw, i think i'm going to get the double LP of Baghdad Batteries cause it's got like 2 more songs on it.

I really enjoyed Bicycles & Tricycles....

Cydonia was good, but not in its final release form. The promos that got leaked were brilliant.

Also, does anyone have that Full Orbient mix that was up on XLR8R? I can't find my mp3 of it...

Cydonia has grown on me over time, I do like the kind of otherwordly mood to it, I probably like it as much as Orblivion. Bicycles & Tricycles is forgettable gash other than the last two tracks. Their worst release by far, at least The Dream has the last five or six songs which are excellent.

I don't really get why Baghdad Batteries is an Orbsessions album considering it's all new material.

Guest enxyme

Baghdad Batteries is the Orb working in certain restraints... A concept album(like all the Orbsessions) working in the colder/minimal/techno worlds...

The regular full Orb releases are open to a fuller experimentation...

I actually really like The Dream... The vocals are archetypal and mysterious in the early 90's kind of way... Very dreamy and pretty... Jah Wobble live bass sounds great

Guest enxyme

By the way... I'm not too pumped on the Orbsessions stuff... It's obvious they didn't put a lot into them... But better and more creative and musical than most ambient/techno stuff out there... still great!

If you like the Orbsessions stuff you must check out Thomas Fehlmanns newest Gute Luft... Absolute masterpiece...