IGNORED

Orbus Terrarum

dr lopez

I've always found Slug Dub's bassline funny. It has a life of it's own.

In general the album has a shitload of layers and you can just follow one layer for a while and then switch to another, alternating differently on every listening.

• 1 year later...

The intro to Slug Dub... I'll never forget my first listen.

Yeah this album is amazing, but I have to hand it off to U.F.Orb as my fav because of my personal history with it. O.O.B.E, my goodness, what a landmark, I feel like I'm lost in a twilit savannah, grass up to my neck, unseen creatures all around me. Just fucking serene and disturbing all at once! Aaaaargh *puts it on*

It's a shame Slub Dub was like 10 minutes shorter in the CD version - damn red book audio limitations !

EDIT: Damnit, I'm like an old grandad repeating myself -

It's a shame the full version of Slug Dub didn't make it to the CD version of the album (well the version I bought anyway), it seems to end so abruptly that way ....

But yeah it's a darn good'un !

It's a shame Slub Dub was like 10 minutes shorter in the CD version - damn red book audio limitations !

It's a shame the full version of Slug Dub didn't make it to the CD version of the album (well the version I bought anyway), it seems to end so abruptly that way ....

I'm looking on discogs, and I'm seeing a 15 minute version and a 17 minute version(weirdly enough, my US copy is the longer one, and the UK version is shorter).  Also the "expanded and remastered" 2 disc version on Spotify seems to have the shorter version! 

So strange...

I need to listen to that bonus disc more, there's some really good stuff on there. I only have the deluxe editions of Adventures and Terrarum, the others went out of print and go for silly money these days, which is pretty annoying.

COW has got me back into The Orb after a few years of only occasional listening. I'm going to revisit the dodgy trilogy (Cydonia, B&T, Dream) again soon, see if I can finally crack them. 

I'm looking on discogs, and I'm seeing a 15 minute version and a 17 minute version(weirdly enough, my US copy is the longer one, and the UK version is shorter).  Also the "expanded and remastered" 2 disc version on Spotify seems to have the shorter version! 

So strange...

yes for some reason (probably licensing) any version released after the original has lots of the children's story cut out. shame because it is hilarious. it is not *essential* however and I can assure that the 15 min version is entirely adequate :)

So strange...

yes for some reason (probably licensing) any version released after the original has lots of the children's story cut out. shame because it is hilarious. it is not *essential* however and I can assure that the 15 min version is entirely adequate :)

Sometimes I'm triggered and start verbalising excerpts from the story along with the 'duh huuuuuuh' slug laugh.

I recall you saying something similar happens to you sometimes Lopez with regard to Eno/Byrne's 'Mea Culpa'.

When I first got into this record along with pomme fritz I had developed a sleeping pattern where I would sleep around 9am-5pm. Accordingly, my windows were covered with dark blankets so I wasn't sleeping in pure sunlight. I used to listen to music on headphones late at night/early morn and i hope I'll always remember those times, which were very inspiring and beautiful. On one occasion in particular I recall the early morning sun dimly lighting up my windows through the emo coverings while listening to orbvs terrarvm and just experiencing this immense sensation of euphoria and inner warmth. Nothing quite like it. This record is quite magical.

Also lol that one guy wrote it all and Alex just did coke and played spoken word records.

Edited by Alcofribas

When I first got into this record along with pomme fritz I had developed a sleeping pattern where I would sleep around 9am-5pm. Accordingly, my windows were covered with dark blankets so I wasn't sleeping in pure sunlight. I used to listen to music on headphones late at night/early morn and i hope I'll always remember those times, which were very inspiring and beautiful. On one occasion in particular I recall the early morning sun dimly lighting up my windows through the emo coverings while listening to orbvs terrarvm and just experiencing this immense sensation of euphoria and inner warmth. Nothing quite like it. This record is quite magical.

Also lol that one guy wrote it all and Alex just did coke and played spoken word records.

Not to pry, but were you working nights or something? You got to experience the most interesting periods of the day lighting wise!

Not to pry, but were you working nights or something? You got to experience the most interesting periods of the day lighting wise!

I was just being a weirdo tbh. I didn't have a job at that time and I thought it might be cool to try it as a kind of experiment in isolation lol.

#youth

my memories of first listening to this are important to me - I was a #youth as well, probably about 13, and was listening to loads of bowie and ramones and *just* beginning my life with kraftwerk. I went and visited my uncle in another country. he was (still is) a really cool DJ / designer and gave me a clear blue plastic cassette that he had recorded a bunch of orb tracks on it for me. Little fluffy clouds, earth gaia and blue room on one side and I was hooked. the coolest shit I had ever heard. Then I flipped the tape and side b started with plateau. hot damn. so incredible. I moved my family's hifi tape deck next to my bed just so I could fall asleep to plateau. felt like some camel ride through a future city. or something. 

Then i stole the CD from my local radio station that I was working at lol. I NEEDED IT

Edited by dr lopez

thanks for the reminder to listen to this watmm, I listened to a bunch of their other albums last week but forgot my favourite one for some reason. as good as always, half way through so far, drums have just kicked in on montagne d'or.

I first bought the CD of this in Glastonbury, probably a couple of years after it came out, and when I got home to listen to it I discovered it had smashed it into little bits on the trip back. Had only really heard Orblivion fully at that point, probably had a few other tracks on mixtapes and the likes, Little Fluffy Clouds of course, but when I eventually got a new copy this really blew me away. definitely in my all time top 20 albums. I saw them live around that time too which was really great, were performing in a pyramid structure with a great laser show (they had to interrupt the set at one point when some guy climbed up in the rigging inside the tent, and they had to get a security guy on stage to talk him down, lx started fucking around with the security guy's vocals with delays and shit, lol).