IGNORED

The Hobbit loses Guillermo Del Toro

Rubin Farr

Cool interview there

More twitter impressions from US press screening today, until embargo is up on the 3rd

Alex Billington ‏@firstshowing

It's a historic morning for cinema today. But I can't say more until the embargo is up next week.
Quote:
Alex Schoenborn ‏@a_schoen

Just saw the hobbit in 3D #bejealous

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean? They are just initial impressions, of course more often than not positive impressions are more vocal before the embargo, so its nothing too meaningful in regards to how it will be received in the end, but at least the HFR stuff is more positive than we saw at the demo/10 minute screening 6 months ago (which is more why I find the reactions interesting).

The actual quality of the film etc is less of an interest than the perception of the new frame rates for me and I never try to consciously use critics as a base for my own opinion after I have seen it. Generally they only serve the purpose of vaguely translating the contents/execution/style of a film a bit better than advertisements and trailers.

Some more:

James Shaw ‏@jimyshaw

Just saw the crew screening of The Hobbit last night... loved it. :)

48fps on the Hobbit was interesting... Sooo much detail, very different to see.

48fps and 3D on The Hobbit took about 20mins to get used to but then it was awesome. IMO worked better on exterior scenes. :)

opie radio ‏@OpieRadio

I saw the Hobbit. The movie is good but SO not believable!

in case it hasnt been mentioned yet, something i was curious about is the orcs and goblins in this movie, are they fully cgi this time around? the answer is yes, I think PJ had a little bit of George Lucas-itis or as i like to call it Peterjacksonitis and abandoned trying to do prosthetic makeup and costumes for human actors playing orcs and goblins. I'm hoping the motion capturing looks just as good if not better than Avatar and Tin Tin (probably the only 2 films by WETA that had this level of technology and time put into the cgi motion capturing). While i can understand why he did it i just hope that they didn't stretch themselves too thin with the CGI efforts, especially since they will essentially be doing double duty anyways with 24 extra frames of animation to contend with.

list of all the different formats of the Hobbit and which theaters feature them. We've been hearing a lot about the HFR 48fps version in 3d but this movie is also using a brand new Dolby surround sound format that is 64 channels (instead of the standard 7.1) called Dolby Atmos.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/21/64780-complete-listing-of-theaters-showing-hobbit-hfr-3d-imax-3d-imax-dolby-atmos/

What do you mean? They are just initial impressions, of course more often than not positive impressions are more vocal before the embargo, so its nothing too meaningful in regards to how it will be received in the end, but at least the HFR stuff is more positive than we saw at the demo/10 minute screening 6 months ago (which is more why I find the reactions interesting).

The actual quality of the film etc is less of an interest than the perception of the new frame rates for me and I never try to consciously use critics as a base for my own opinion after I have seen it. Generally they only serve the purpose of vaguely translating the contents/execution/style of a film a bit better than advertisements and trailers.

Some more:

James Shaw ‏@jimyshaw

Just saw the crew screening of The Hobbit last night... loved it. :)

48fps on the Hobbit was interesting... Sooo much detail, very different to see.

48fps and 3D on The Hobbit took about 20mins to get used to but then it was awesome. IMO worked better on exterior scenes. :)

opie radio ‏@OpieRadio

I saw the Hobbit. The movie is good but SO not believable!

Where was the premiere?

Do you live in New Zealand?

list of all the different formats of the Hobbit and which theaters feature them. We've been hearing a lot about the HFR 48fps version in 3d but this movie is also using a brand new Dolby surround sound format that is 64 channels (instead of the standard 7.1) called Dolby Atmos.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/21/64780-complete-listing-of-theaters-showing-hobbit-hfr-3d-imax-3d-imax-dolby-atmos/

man the nearest one to me is reidiculously far to go see a movie. fuk it.

It's amazing how divisive the higher frame rate seems to be.

From this...

Quote:
Mark Graham ‏@unclegrambo

MT @thehighsign: HOBBIT in 48fps looks bizarrely crappy.There's something about that super hi-def image that looks almost cheap,like old TV.

to this...

Quote:
Cameron Barrett ‏@mhcameron

@ the Academy today for a special screening of The Hobbit projected in 3D at 48 fps, which is was shot in. Spectacular! I'm truly awestruck.
Quote:
Simon Curtis ‏@simoncurtis

A friend of mine saw The Hobbit in 48fps today- said it was the most immersive, amazing movie experience of his life. #dead

4.5 stars out of 5...

http://www.odt.co.nz/entertainment/f...l-feast-cinema

Some very slight spoilers in there. But some key points from the review:

-Took him 10 minutes to get used to HFR, but thought it was game changing once he got used to it and called the film a 'visual feast'.
-Also felt the beginning Shire section drags.
-Says McKellin and Serkis are fantastic.
-Says LOTR fans will love it, but this movie won't convert any skeptics.

Who are all these people you are quoting? Are any of them trustworthy critics or film connoisseurs that we should pay special attention to? Maybe that one guys sister, or the other dudes friend?

Who are all these people you are quoting? Are any of them trustworthy critics or film connoisseurs that we should pay special attention to? Maybe that one guys sister, or the other dudes friend?

They are people from the press, the embargo is lifted at 9 pm est tonight. No critic is trustworthy imo, so take it all worth a grain of salt.

1 minute sequence from the Goblin City chase in HD just got put online

http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/the-hobbit/goblin-chase

wow, I'm speechless.

btw, lol @ gaarg and me talking about the movie the other day -

gaarg: really disappointed in what they made of Thorin...

me: yeah what's up with that? I always imagined him older, with gray hair and beard...

gaarg: well, for starters, I always imagined him as a dwarf

Oh I probably wasn't clear - I think that sequence looks absolutely shit. I have never before seen something so bad in my life.

I'm serious. It's the worst thing I've seen.

Worse than bacterial penile infection.

Archived