IGNORED

The Hobbit loses Guillermo Del Toro

Rubin Farr

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a cash grab.

isn't the point of all films to make cash? they don't knock them out for fun you know... also I think jackson has always had plans to make the hobbit and I think the silmarilion is potentially in the pipeline too. but enough of my feeding of the gordo troll, I think he's had quite enough.

Guest glasse

They said they are going to use material from LOTR at least that coincides with events from The Hobbit.

For instance they could tell the whole story of the Witch King and Angmar from ROTK appendices, how he returned to Mordor along with the other wraiths, and tie all of that in with 'The Necromancer,' The Council of the White and so on.

Hopefully they can also work in additional backstory from The Silmarillion related to Sauron, Númenor and so on, without technically having the rights to make that book into its own film. They could even discuss the history of the dragons and talk about Glaurung perhaps. Anyway, there are all sorts of options for expanding the original novel.

yeah, I guess The Silmarilion as it is would be almost impossible to make into a coherent movie - they would have to take individual stories from it and flesh them out against the backdrop of the changing world and morgoth's demise etc. so The Children of Hurin would indeed be perfect for this, if a little depressing... Beren and Luthien's story would also make a good film as would the fall of Numenor/Elendil's arrival on Middle Earth... hell, there's a fuck load of awesome stories in the middle earth mythology - they'll probably be making films for years...

Guest theSun

i'd love to see a movie adaptation of some of the valar shit. or at least pepper some of the really old origins-of-gandalf/saruman/sauron and saurons relationship with melkor in with the story.

i don't think it would work well in the hobbit though

you know what? nevermind. I forgot how obsessive tolkien fans are about the whole mythology, i had a flashback to highschool where two friends would argue for hours about who was right about certain little details in the mythology. So i guess the target audience will be happy to give their money away to watch a bloated simple story as long as it remains LOTR consistent. enjoy.

I don't see a big difference between obsessive Tolkien fans and people trying to prove how much a movie sucks when it isn't even released yet.

it's a cash grab.

isn't the point of all films to make cash?

teh fuck?!!?

no?

oh relax you know what I mean..I'm not talking about some arthouse movie or something, all commercially released films, especially of the size and budget of something like the hobbit - the idea is to make a profitable return. I haven't got a problem with this. for some reason you seem to be irritated that they might be considering making some money with the whole enterprise.

if you think i'm "irritated that they might be considering making some money with the whole enterprise" then you don't know what i mean.

and btw my bit about obsessive tolkien fans was my way of saying: ok, i understand why you don't see it as a shameless cash grab, or that it may not be at all. so whatever, to me it still looks that way. next they'll do the little prince trilogy or something absurd like that.

I don't see how this could be less than great.

Here you have:

Peter Fucking Jackson, who brought us Middle Earth in all its ragged glory better than anyone thought possible. Ever.

The Motherfucking Hobbit.

Give Peter Jackson some Tolkien shit, a 20 year old camcorder, and some action figures and he'll make you a righteous shitkicker of a movie. It's a proven formula, it works. It got my kids through school and saved my marriage. Fuck.

From what I read on the FAQ on IMDB, the second Hobbit movie will be what takes place in between The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring. It's based on Tolkien's notes, I'm not worried.

:emotawesomepm9: Can you imagine if this was a Spielberg movie with a John Williams score? :emotawesomepm9:

:facepalm:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived