IGNORED

"Move of ten" is out on bleep

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jbuonacc

anyone else let down by the ending of 'Cep puiqMX'? listening for the first time yesterday, just as the beat towards the end is getting funky as all hell i'm thinking "oh, shit, this is the best part of the whole EP. kicking my ass." then it just... stops. wtf was that?!

i really dig the EP as a whole, but parts of it do seem sort of 'lazy'. some tracks just trail off without a 'proper' closing, all sorts of shit that just seems unfinished. it's like someone at Warp stole a bunch of work-in-progress stuff off their hard drive and put it out as-is.

as for the BoC comparisons, i don't really see it on 'nth Dafusederb' (other than maybe the flute line), but they were immediately the first thing that came to mind when i first heard 'd-sho qub' off Oversteps.

Guest earlGREEN

the snares on etchogon sound like a robotic ninja chef sharpening his knives.

Or this thing:

(just watch 6:50 - 7:25)

[youtubehd]jmCyq_UIWxM[/youtubehd]

use your forte against the foible!

This E.P is quite obviously less original sounding than Oversteps, even if it shares sonic similarities. I can see why some might prefer its heavier, darker approach, and I'm not saying it is bad music at all, but it is one of the most referential releases Autechre has ever put out, period. Apart from two or three tracks, much of this release seems closely linked with the work of other artists I have listened to in the past, or past styles of electronic music. And, whereas Oversteps and other great Ae albums continue to reveal new things to me as I listen to them, this release seems the most bare and unfinished and "what you see is what you get."

Guest bardamu

its like a coda to oversteps. the melodic gestures and tendencies are very similar. its also somewhat streamlined in its emotional approach; i think other albums made you work harder and played with structure a lot more. sublimit, for instance, doesn't "go for the throat" melodically until the last 4-5 minutes. i found each MoT track to be immediately appealing, though that is part of its flaw--as overt as it is, you memorize the beautiful passages more quickly. i still find subtleties on my 8th or 9th listen through, but most is given directly (including, of course, the very obvious beats). in that regard i think this works great as an EP--a less crytpic, grandiose, or esoteric statement...

another reason people might get bored of it quicker is that theyre familiar with autechre's idiom by now (and this incarnation of it being so close to the last album). i would submit that most people here have actually become better and more EFFICIENT listeners of their music in a sense. i showed this to my parents, ae newbies, and they were deeply moved and impressed. thats not a defense of sloppily made music, just an observation.

as for legitimate newness, i feel like MoT is reallyyyyy 3D, totally deep sound field. im listening to it in a pretty optimal room on good speakers, and the experience is completely different from good headphones. the music breathes and the extreme attention to space/reverb seems new to me (well, carried over from oversteps and quaristice)

Guest theSun

liking m62 quite a bit today those lead pads around 3:30 bring everything together.

i don't hate the bass kicks, but i don't really like them either.

Guest jbuonacc

i can't come to terms with the fact that MOT quits quite abruptly just when it really really wants to unfold.

:wtf:

yeah, that's what i mentioned above. it's like it's just getting to the best part of the whole EP and it just cuts off. sucks.

After first listen it has now successfully grabbed me by the cojones. Now I'm really looking forward to lying on the beach, letting the sun lick seawater off me, and listening to this with a doobie.

After first listen it has now successfully grabbed me by the cojones. Now I'm really looking forward to lying on the beach, letting the sun lick seawater off me, and listening to this with a doobie.

Excellent idea!

another reason people might get bored of it quicker is that theyre familiar with autechre's idiom by now (and this incarnation of it being so close to the last album).

oversteps and move of ten as a pair are very different to the 5 or 6 releases before them though.

they have a drastically and audibly different approach to things than say, quaristice back as far as confield or maybe EP7. that chunk of their releases all sort of exhibit different facets of a 'way of doing things'. and you can kinda hear them evolving to their 'new way of doing things a bit' on quaristice&co. (and the live sets too) - but oversteps has this 'BAM! this is the way we do shit now, ok?' feel to it, if you get me.

i think it's a good ep, but not a great one. most of the tracks seem too short & underdeveloped. Understeps.

personally like Quadrange better.

i was going to try and pull some tracks from this to replace a couple of the Oversteps songs i'm not crazy about in a playlist, but that's not going to work. the stuff on here doesn't really sit alongside the Oversteps stuff very well.

etchogon starts things off on the wrong foot for me because it sounds so sloppy. :trashbear:

not just the structure but the sounds themselves... so bright and in-your-face yet stumbling around.

sounds like drunken Autechre.

y7 is great. (if you like this, check out the album Azzazin by Muslimgauze).

pce freeze is awesome. rew1 is the shit. :music:

nth dafuseder is just ok.

pupil sounds similar to the Oversteps stuff, just not as developed.

no border is good. m62 is ok. ylmo: see pupil.

cep puiqMX is a great track & a good closer for the EP.

supposedly some of this stuff was composed with their Oversteps tour live rig setup, but i'm just not hearing it. the tour stuff sounds way more intricate & face melting than this EP.

they should jam out an intense hour-long album with their current live set-up, but isn't that how Quaristice got started?

Guest victorian sewer rituals

Now thats the real way to dance to ae. Serious business. an entire ae audience rockin 90's wear and dancin like that (while holding hands) would holy shit mind blowiing rock your face off!

Archived