IGNORED

"Move of ten" is out on bleep

Guest theSun

slowly becoming one of my favorite releases

edit: i reckon nth Dafuseder.b blows d-sho qub away! has some moments that really remind me of zoviet france haha... never thought i'd be saying that

this one and pce freez i just haven't gotten into. i see the beat as a lead part in both q-sho and nth, and it just sounds like the same song to me. i know there's loads of change-ups but my mind doesn't seem to care.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

discogs review!!!1

Move Of Ten has put to rest fears that Autechre were committed to the high-functioning-autistic-beats of their mid-naughties records, they're now following a more melodic and textural direction, at least for now. Though you wouldn't think it on first listen, MOT is bookended by two pieces that are little more than designed to "please the fans": Etchogon-S and Cep puiqMX.

Etchogon has a pretty standard - by Ae "standards" - glitch-hop-on-smack rhythm, occasionally allowing in some prickly synth bleeps that never really form a solid hook. The drums, bass and synths develop and fall away in typical "pseudo-random" Autechre fashion. With Cep puiqMX, the story is very similar: noisey glitched beats, punctuated by vacuous, reverb-plastered single-chord synth blasts. It's the usual LCC-style near-self-parodying concoction of endlessly glitched beats and almost nothing melodic. Both tracks will induce major hard-ons in elitists and IDM producers but thankfully, that isn't the case with the rest of the EP.

nth Dafuseder.b is one of the big hitters on Move Of Ten. After the initial shock of the shameless stealing of d-sho qub's drum patterns, cool little repeated "rhodes" style keys play while drenched in reverb, and the occasional appearance of a BOC-ish "flute" synth plays some surprisingly twee melodies. Shocking, Ae are clearly going soft! OMGWTFBBQ tehy stol BOC-synths! (Note how it makes for a better "BOC tune" than anything on Campfire Headphase... CONSPIRACY!)

no border switches between almost-4/4 and some amalgam of big-beat and dubstep, bursts of noise produce the rhythmic backing to more distant, emotive FM pads and stabs. Not as sucessful as similar pieces on Oversteps, but that dark, emotionally-detached feeling prevails and is still enticing. pce freeze 2.8i has a truly addictive "electro-big-beat" rhythm, with huge drums underpinning a properly solid filter-shaped synth hook that continues to morph, occasionally descending into noise. The spontaneous clickery of the end with one final shout of the riff is a great way to conclude.

4/4 Autechre is good. y7 has a melange of dark synthery around that incessant 4/4 pulse. Oh and two words: AUTECHRE ACID! There's definitely a kinda-303 synth part squelching away here and there. No, there's no hook, but I'm not looking for one when everything else in the track makes up for a great "electronic jam". Later they drop the bomb that is M62. Wow, is this Ae really doing 4/4 again? Sell-outs! Okay now the fanbois have gone crying, let's enjoy some ae-trance! Put the usual multi-layered FM synth stabs and pads to the most basic of electronic rhythms, and it is just as enjoyable as glitch-hop, hip-step, or whatever you'd call Ae's more "traditional" rhythms. It's another dark synth and texture jam across 6 minutes, with continuously morphing synths, joined later by some pads. Then around the 4th minute it all breaks down to the kick and one synth, and stays more "minimalistic" until the end. Pretty simple structurally - by Ae standards - but completely enjoyable and accessible! Yes, Ae fanboys, I just used the word "accessible" again in an Autechre review! Punch that disagree button with all your elitist, self-righteous might!

iris was a pupil is solid evidence that these tracks are taken from Oversteps sessions. It has very similar metallic FM synths to redfall and see on see, drenched in reverb, with some more squelchy FM/303-type sounds bouncing around the edges playing counter melodies, until it becomes much darker around the 2-minute mark. The synth riffery doesn't stick quite as well as most of the Oversteps tunes, though. No don't say it, it's not an out-ta*SLAP*...

Many songs feel less structured than Oversteps pieces, and more like jams. No bad thing, though, since most don't last much past 5 or 6 minutes. I don't require hooks, just interesting stuff going on beyond spastic drumming! There's definitely much more than that going on during Move Of Ten's 40+ minutes. Finally, I'm just so pleased to say that Ae are stepping away from autism-stroking drums for a while. By keeping them simple® and instead going nuts with the textures and synths, Autechre are going for exactly the opposite of the composing approach they took on Untilted and Draft. And it's TREMENDOUSLY more invigorating and enjoyable as a result. B+ or 8/10.

http://www.discogs.com/Autechre-Move-Of-Ten/release/2317934

Guest victorian sewer rituals

That review is like shooting an arrow in the opposite direction of a bullseye on another planet while eating a hot dog and tivo'ing some bullshit show while checking your caller ID and thinking about taking a piss.

That is the state of mind required to write that garbage. 'UH DUH SOUNDS LIKE DIS AND DIS AND DIS AND DIS LOL SO LISTEN TO WORSE MUSIC YOU ELITIST SCUMBAGS ROFL'

:trashbear:

Guest Sprigg

i'm at my wits end of people describing something that BOC was inspired to do from other people as 'BOC-like'

just so you guys know

I honestly don't see the BOC comparison anyway. One synth sound automatically makes the song BOC-ish? Give me a break.

Guest Greg Reason

slowly becoming one of my favorite releases

edit: i reckon nth Dafuseder.b blows d-sho qub away! has some moments that really remind me of zoviet france haha... never thought i'd be saying that

ae have loved :zoviet*france: for many many years. No surprises that they show occasional similarities

i'm at my wits end of people describing something that BOC was inspired to do from other people as 'BOC-like'

just so you guys know

No shit man, the hip hop in rew(1) is a straight rip of BoCs hip hop beats. As you all know, BoC invented hip hop too.

got an email today too, it says it got shipped july 5th so it would arrive on release date ;D

Me too, but as we've all got our digital files anyway, it's really just the packaging we're waiting for ;-)

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

cqAxr.png

Not nearly as clever or funny as it could have been. A missed opportunity, kind of.

what a letdown :cerious:

wtf boomkat says it's limited too

**Part 1** Acting as an addendum to their recent 'Oversteps' LP, but actually functioning as an entire album in it's own right, 'Move Of Ten' is Ae's outlet for their more rhythmically concerned recent productions. This is part 1 of the vinyl version, bearing four tracks that for our money are easily the finest we've heard from Ae for some time. While the recent 'Oversteps' was a display of complex melodic IDM functions, these tracks are concentrated on the groove, in that innately cybertronik B-Boy style that's written through their best beats. 'Etchogon-s' starts the set with a spiky hardsteppers arrangement laced with convulsive drum protrusions to get you in a crooked wriggle. 'Y7' follows this into a wormhole of psilocybic acid patterns textured like finely crushed glass rubbed on the cochlea and driven by a gracefully padded 4/4 - its probably the most AFX sounding track we've heard from Autechre - and an absolute warehouse killer. 'Pce Freeze 2.8i' on the other hand works a boulder-bass heavy hiphop groove with barren atmospherics and striking digital implosions, and then 'Rew1' spews gurgling acid dissonance into the circuitry of a malfunctioning hiphop bounce groove. Highly limited copies - very very good indeed.

I hope Royal Mail is x-tra spee-dee, because I don't have any aux/cassette inputs in my car, and I don't want to contribute to unnecessary CD-R waste, and I've been waiting to blast some move of ten here in the ghetto for so long.

Guest Abuse

I want to know if it's drawn by a hand or a robot computer.

maybe it will come to me once i receive my physical copy of this new ep by the electronic group Autehce.

Guest Enter a new display name

got an email today too, it says it got shipped july 5th so it would arrive on release date ;D

Me too, but as we've all got our digital files anyway, it's really just the packaging we're waiting for ;-)

Hell no, I'm waiting so much for the vinyl pressing that I spent so much money on. As a confident audiophile who enjoys Autechre, I ought to make sure I have the best-fucking-first-listen-ever of a new Autechre release. And I have to tell the forum so you all feel guilty about your inferior methods of listening to Autechre.

Archived