IGNORED

did "idm" peak as a genre?

Guest yikes

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say IDM has been going just as strong, however the music industry in general has been dieing since the beginning of the 00's. Because of this we haven't seen another Aphex Twin, because the market is simply too "ADD" at the moment for any one person to gain that type of prolific status. Also just like with the Beatles, the ones who start something usually represent a sort of "peak" As someone else said, as the technology gets better/easier, more crap will be circulating, but real talent will shine like never before. A two-disc tuss album could certainly be on the same level as Drukqs imo. Rockers age horribly, but Richard will age like a fine wine. Regardless of what Mr. Wallace will tell you.

Guest lustfulgustav

I look at it like this: when you refer to a genre's "peak", that's just an artificial state of a genre that only people in the "industry" would give a fuck about. Like, "Did the Come To Daddy video get played on TV? Yes. Has any 'IDM' video gotten played on TV recently? No. Thus, the genre is dead." Well, since I'm not wearing a suit and tie right now I think that's total bullshit. For me personally, if it were 10 years ago and I heard Girl/Boy Song immediately followed by something like Nuearz, Wisp, Chris Clark, etc. they would all equally blow my ball sack off (uh, in a good way). So... no.

if it were 10 years ago and I heard Girl/Boy Song immediately followed by something like Nuearz, Wisp, Chris Clark, etc. they would all equally blow my ball sack off (uh, in a good way). So... no.

Exactly

i think the "idm" genre is constantly morphing and changing. in that sense, i dont think it really can peak. stuff thats coming out now may not have been possible in 1992.

hmmm. I can see what you're saying.

I Personally think it peaked in 2001 with Go Plastic and Drukqs. I don't think those were the "best" idm albums ever but I think it was a peak in terms of technical production.

Whatever.

My guts are so swollen and painful at the moment I want to rip a massive fart and/or shoot a shower of magma out of my ass. Ffuuu.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

if it were 10 years ago and I heard Girl/Boy Song immediately followed by something like Nuearz, Wisp, Chris Clark, etc. they would all equally blow my ball sack off (uh, in a good way). So... no.

Exactly

i think the "idm" genre is constantly morphing and changing. in that sense, i dont think it really can peak. stuff thats coming out now may not have been possible in 1992.

QFT

Exactly

QFT

Exactamundo amigos.

i'm just kidding. nothing i say means anything.

actually if i had to interpret that statement "makes me feel suicidal and nauseous" i would say it is because i am depressed and drunk and i felt sorry for myself and i wanted to share this aspect of my personality with the watmm in an idm thread

I really don't like stereotypical "IDM". like, stuff with blippy beats and glitches that is done in Reaktor or similar software. I think that style had it's day in the late nineties.... a lot of people still make it though unfortunately.

Guest sirch

i'd say the "prime" or best years for so-called "IDM" where from 1992 - 2002, imho.

and obviously not all electronic music is "IDM". in much the same way as not all electronic music is "Techno". and not all electronic dance music is "House".

IDM is just another genre name. it's no big deal really. :)

When you say "peak", do you mean in popularity or in terms of best music?

'Cause move of ten is claaaaaaaaass

i took it to mean both popularity AND best music.

Archived