IGNORED

Apple's Ping

Joyrex

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is an app called 'AMP' which does all that ping does. i want last'fm scrobbling on my iphone

http://www.appshouter.com/amp-music-player-iphone-app-review/

i hated the thought of itunes (and still do, wTf cant you put compolations on ipods?) but i managed to take my time and export only what i wanted to listen to on itunes then get all the artwork and stuff and it looks pretty ok.. never will use it for a music player though.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

Oh come on, you can convert FLAC to ALAC in about 3 seconds, or just rip to ALAC if you have the physical source. It's a mild inconvenience, at worst.

I have my entire cd collection backed up as flacs. converting them all to alac would be more than a mild inconvenience.

itunes is fine. apple is fine. calm down people.

god forbid someone make a product that is easy for the average consumer to use who doesn't care about l33t computer skills or customizing every aspect of their desktop so tubegalore will run more efficiently. seriously, who gives a shit. it's a well designed product. the ipod is the best mp3 player on the market, itunes is the best music player on the market, as far as native applications for mac go (i've never run it on a pc). this ping looks a little redundant, but apple has a way of streamlining other products into something that will appeal to as many people as possible. you can't fault them for that.

Guest no carrier

The more I think about Ping, the more it really spells the end of MySpace, which in my book is a good thing...

you mean myspace is still going? you could have fooled me, seeing as i thought facebook dispatched it within the last year or two.

that said, for an overblown webpage wizard intertwined with the buzz-term "social networking", myspace does have a much better relationship with music.

Oh come on, you can convert FLAC to ALAC in about 3 seconds, or just rip to ALAC if you have the physical source. It's a mild inconvenience, at worst.

free > apple when used in context with flac > alac

fuck flacs

theres no audible difference between them and 320kbps mp3s

also i use itunes (with an ipod) on my pc and i dont get what people have against it, it works great.

don't worry, the macbooks of 2050 will have a 150TB SSD so you can fill it with lossy audio

Guest pulsewarrior

Think of it as a Facebook for music.

BPRq1.jpg

OK, a well-designed and functional Facebook for music...

why do people complain about the size of itunes? is ram at a premium where you are?

because it sucks. drm is the bane of the internet, and steve jobs should be tried for crimes against humanity for the injustification of making apple users not step out of their comfort zones to actually LEARN something about how computers function. imagine if everyone used apple computers, there would be no need to learn anything ever!

uh, im not following you here...

get an apple computer

get an apple ipod

get an apple ipad

get apple itunes

get apple ping

or

get a pc

get any mp3 player you want

get any netbook you want

get any mp3 player you want

get last.fm or whatever social music network you want

You forgot:

get a pc... and install antivirus and driver updates

get any mp3 player you want... and suffer through (usually) inferior U/I and loading issues

get any netbook you want... and look on in envy at the iPad

get any mp3 player you want... because the one you bought in step 2 died on you

get last.fm or whatever social music network you want... and watch as they struggle to survive and all your friends migrate to Ping :emotawesomepm9:

AMIDOINITRITE?

-heavens! actually having to spend a couple minutes protecting and maintaining an OS ? have you ever opened the hood of your car?

-can't speak for many portable players, but the Creative Zen interface is absolutely ok

-why envy a constricted, closed loop iPad whose rules you're slave to when you can buy a Netbook and have 50x the ability to choose hardware, OS, apps, and any number of customizations?

-had a Creative Zen - never died on me. had two ipods - both died within 1 year, couldn't stand itunes

-can't really comment, by why do again what's already been done just fine - $$$

i've never been able to like itunes. hideous software, awkward management.

with that said, i have an iphone and think it's great, so i'm not an apple hater really. but i really dislike the way they design some of their devices and software. it's really an assault to people that actually like to have some reasonable level of control and changeability over what they're operating.

with that said, i have an iphone and think it's great, so i'm not an apple hater really. but i really dislike the way they design some of their devices and software. it's really an assault to people that actually like to have some reasonable level of control and changeability over what they're operating.

well spoken. that was the point of my original intent, which was admittedly not well spoken.

i hated the thought of itunes (and still do, wTf cant you put compolations on ipods?) but i managed to take my time and export only what i wanted to listen to on itunes then get all the artwork and stuff and it looks pretty ok.. never will use it for a music player though.

You can put compilations in iTunes with no bother.

I only use itunes to put music on my ipod. no flac support = fail.

Xiph Components+Fluke = FLAC in iTunes. However, iPods will not support FLAC unless you have rockbox on it, but seeing as you're playing FLAC files already, I guess you have that installed.

itunes thinks it can organize a library better than i can.

Don't use it as a library organizer, it's terrible that way. Just drag and drop files onto the program like you would with winamp. Having said that, I don't think iTunes is great in Windows (but then i don't think much is, lol and yes I work with Windows machines all the time, and am fairly comfortable in the Windows operating system, as I am in a GUI based Linux environment - but if you're using a GUI then why run Linux...lol).

*in before huge argument* oh shit.

why do people complain about the size of itunes? is ram at a premium where you are?

because it sucks. drm is the bane of the internet, and steve jobs should be tried for crimes against humanity for the injustification of making apple users not step out of their comfort zones to actually LEARN something about how computers function. imagine if everyone used apple computers, there would be no need to learn anything ever!

Apple got rid of DRM two years ago...

There's more to the "lack of Flash on Apple devices" than just trash talk... I'm sure there was some licensing involved, and thats' what made Apple take the stance they did. A device is different than a computer in that the applications usually have to be custom-coded and designed for the hardware they run on, and I bet Adobe wanted a lot of cash to license Flash support to Apple, and Apple decided to thumb their nose at them and go the "open source" route with HTML 5...

The more I think about Ping, the more it really spells the end of MySpace, which in my book is a good thing...

apple's lack of flash on touchscreen devices is mainly because flash is predicated on a cursor for navigation. apple's touchscreens have no such thing, so it was a design decision more than anything. it seems possible to me that flash could be adapted to go cursorless, but i am not a dev.

There are licensing costs involved with H.264 as well. Apple should stfu about "open standards". The real free/open codecs (Theora and VP8) get attacked by those MPEG cunts through patent claims.

Am I the only one who uses - and loves - Zune software for music playing? It has the best organizing features of any mp program I've ever used - it lets you edit all the nitty gritty details of your albums, or quickly match them to database to fix track order/titles, and best of all it doesn't hide shit or change shit without asking (looking at you itunes) Also much sexier and more customizable than itunes. It's one of my favorite programs, snappy, organized, stylish. Literally its only negative for me is not supporting flac. But if we're comparing.. neither does itunes.

Archived