IGNORED

Rammstein

Boxing Day

lol wow you make poor financial decisions. i am judging.

LOL yeah , no shit , i made that decision when i had a job , hopefully i will not regret it.

Rammstein are one of two bands that survived my metal years.

(BTW , i payed 700 dollars to see trent reznor play TDS live last year , so yeah , i'm not very smart with my money , i will change that i promise)

Sensucht is pretty slick.

Sensucht is slick as fuck. After I heard that one, I felt everything thereafter was unnecessary.

My introduction to Rammstein was the Lost Highway soundtrack, and I must say I was giddy as a schoolgirl when I heard that thick German accent doing its slow mantra to itself on their theme song. Rammstein - Rammestein is the ultimate same band/song-name song.

Also, holy shit at $350 ticket!! Hope it's the best rock show I've never seen. It's gotta be at that price. If he doesn't cum milk on you, get a refund.

LOL yeah , no shit , i made that decision when i had a job , hopefully i will not regret it.

(BTW , i payed 700 dollars to see trent reznor play TDS live last year , so yeah , i'm not very smart with my money , i will change that i promise)

dude, you are wise. i'd rather pay that money to experience things that will never happen again than to buy some shitty car that's marginally better than all the other shitty cars out there so i can look cool. you know what i mean? spend cash on experiences.

also, i'm so jealous of you! you got to see one of the last performances of tds live. that's crazy.

also, i'm so jealous of you! you got to see one of the last performances of tds live. that's crazy.

Yeah it was a crazy night , it was in Webster Hall , NY , and according to ninwiki the first time he played the whole TDS album (imagine the legion of hardcore NIN fans , they went nuts , they also did a lot of crying , specially the fat chicks)

and to be honest , worth the fucking 700 bucks i payed for tickets.

I was trying to explain the punny lyrical content of Rammstein to my friends ages ago when Sensucht came out. They were like "No, it's 'You hate me'. That's what they say in the English version at the end." and I was all "No, it literally says 'You have asked me a question and I have not answered.' If it was hate it would have two 's' in it." Then I gave up trying to explain the ironic genius in super-inane lyrics sung in an intense sounding foreign launguage over heavy thrashing riffs.

While not my particular taste any more, I'm sure Rammstein still rocks hella hard. Good to see they're also still not trying to make serious music. One of my favorite songs by them said "You smell so good" over some very dark sounding metal.

maybe 0.5% of American listeners grasp a thumbnail sketch of the lyrics. German is very difficult for English speakers and when you're being tongue-in-cheek in German, there's even less hope of American listeners getting it. I think the easiest chorus is "Sonne"...if you can count to 8 in German and say "Hier kommt die Sonne"--it sounds exactly the same in English: "Here Comes The Sun".

If you try to bust a Babelfish, you get "Hier kommt der Sonne" (neutered). Sonne is feminine and the video for the song with the gold-snorting Snow White is a good parallel to the idea of "Sun" as a woman.

When "Du Hast" came out, people were like "YOU. YOU HATE ME." but the song is actually a corruption of German wedding vows and I think it's "you have. you have me" as in "to have and to hold" in English vows. "Mann Gegen Mann" uses old traditional German like "Lords" "Kings" and the like...again with German double-entendre "man against man" in both the SCHWUL-AHHHHH! sense and in competition.

I get a headache around my German friends sometimes because of the second, third, even fourth order puns. Some of the funnier ones I liked were "Kentucky Schrei Ficken" which sounds like a German saying "Kentucky Fried Chicken" but means "Kentucky Shouts Fuck!". We also called "Burger King" "Bürgerkrieg" or "war of the citizens/civil war"

Flake and Till are pretty engaging and thoughtful guys. They knew Americans would have no idea what they were saying so that's why it's like an adult children's show live--FIRE! DILDOS! GIMP SUITS! WE'RE PAINTED SILVER! CREEPY CONTACT LENSES!

It's also funny that Rammstein has worldwide credibility but most Germans I know malign them because they think it's the biggest German language export and they're right and that isn't what Germans would choose. Kind of like N'SYNC being the only thing Germans knew of English and America. Maybe Till really was sincere when he said "I can't get laid in Germany"...doubtful, I think he has like 12 kids or something. "Pussy" is an English speaker's best chance of picking up on the cheekiness..."Bratwurst in dein Sauerkraut"...lol, I think it's funny...so many other people I know don't think so.

hmm, thanks :cerious:

but i dont think theyre that bad in exporting the german language. the lyrics are quite good, well-thought and focus on interesting themes.

its more about the (visual) image they provide, playing with the "archetype of germanism", dark, martial and evil, and getting paid for that. the form is far worse than the content here imo. plus it seems that especially this cheap image is a big part of their success, serving narrow-minded expectations of a foreign culture. whoresque they come across.

in the end i will never fully understand the net of meanings they exist in for "an american". no matter which context he/she is coming from.

and "bratwurst in dein sauerkraut", well, your friends are bavarians? :facepalm:

(i guess you like it cause the words sound strange?)

Archived