IGNORED

The Dark Knight Rises

Rubin Farr

I was completely wrapped up in this film from start to finish. It took me back to memories of seeing Superman II for the first time, with the tension created by anticipating the return of Bruce Wayne/Clark Kent. Reminded me as well of Frank Miller's Born Again Daredevil story, with Matt Murdoch returning from seeming complete and utter defeat to reinvent himself. TKDR had a pretty visceral impact on me more than anything else. I'm sure there were plot holes galore, I can think of some as a I've come round from the initial impact of seeing the film, but I'm not going to let them ruin the film for me. If you can't suspend your own disbelief completely without ruining the fun for yourself then don't go and see a film about a mad billionaire dressed up as a bat in a city that doesn't exist.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

NOLAN #1: and he talks like a retarded cambridge professor

NOLAN #2: BRILLIANT!

NOLAN #1: and then he jumps across the chasm with ease because now he has to

NOLAN #1: and we won't bother fleshing out the new female characters but we could spend 10 minutes on Alfred crying

NOLAN #1: After spending 10 minutes with catwomen he decides to elope with her after seeing her ass

NOLAN #1: But he did rewrite the autopilot software!

NOLAN #1: and if we make the screen big enough no one will notice the problems

NOLAN #1: and don't even mention the joker because that will remind everyone how great he was

NOLAN #1: and we'll pronounce Ra's Al Ghul name differently from the guy who invented him

NOLAN #1: and we'll sneak robin in without telling bale

how is the thread for one of the most anticipated movies of 2012 this dead? there was more activity in here before it came out, come on guys let's beat out Prometheus we only have 253 pages to go

Well personally, having not participated in the Prometheus thread, reading about a bunch of bitter dudes complaining about plot holes in a film set in a super-hero world doesn't seem all that enjoyable.

For all of Nolan's realism, it is important to remember that Batman is still a superhero, and as a result, does things that often seem unexplainable. This held true in the comics, and surprise surprise, held true in the films.

for example, fixing the autopilot 6 months prior to the expose (or roughly right after he was told of the autopilot defect) - doesn't that seem like something a tech-obsessed superhero who relies on his tech for survival/victory to a large extent would do?

complaining about going off with the catwoman - who's to say that they didn't spend more time together off camera? And Wayne said a few times - "there's more to you than that" (paraphrasing obviously) - indicating that he sees something worth pursuing.

For batman to survive the stabbing - all one has to do is google "man survives stabbing" (without quotes) and you will see numerous examples of regular (that is, non-superhero) people surviving stabbings.

For bane to be surprised by Catwoman on the bike - he had just recovered from the apparently excruciating pain that he experiences when his mask his removed, so perhaps he was not at his most lucid.

People pronounce names differently all the time in the "real world", why would that be any different in a movie?

Jumping across the chasm - people can do all sorts of amazing things under the right conditions. Many examples of people lifting the rear/front end of a car enough to free a person pinned underneath. Google "man survives" and see what auto-complete comes up with.

So yeah - mindless bitching about little things that seem illogical or like plot holes? Forget it.

I'm not a film critic, or a cineaste, and I go to approximately 3 movies a year in the cinema, so my POV on what's entertaining is probably just that of a common troglodyte.

You guys need to work harder. I'm still not even slightly interested in watching this.

It's fun and entertaining, as long as you're willing to let yourself be entertained and not feel like you're going to have to come on the internet afterwards and give notes about the movie.

the movie is a bad series of montages

i can't believe they did a terrorist attack on football. bane is really evil as hell, interrupting america's favorite sport game :rolleyes:

also did you notice Teal'c

i can't believe they did a terrorist attack on football. bane is really evil as hell, interrupting america's favorite sport game :rolleyes:

i forgot that scene. was like something out of transformers.

running a touchdown as the ground gives way behind you.

no more spoiler tags needed surely.

how is the thread for one of the most anticipated movies of 2012 this dead? there was more activity in here before it came out, come on guys let's beat out Prometheus we only have 253 pages to go

Well personally, having not participated in the Prometheus thread, reading about a bunch of bitter dudes complaining about plot holes in a film set in a super-hero world doesn't seem all that enjoyable.

For all of Nolan's realism, it is important to remember that Batman is still a superhero, and as a result, does things that often seem unexplainable. This held true in the comics, and surprise surprise, held true in the films.

for example, fixing the autopilot 6 months prior to the expose (or roughly right after he was told of the autopilot defect) - doesn't that seem like something a tech-obsessed superhero who relies on his tech for survival/victory to a large extent would do?

complaining about going off with the catwoman - who's to say that they didn't spend more time together off camera? And Wayne said a few times - "there's more to you than that" (paraphrasing obviously) - indicating that he sees something worth pursuing.

For batman to survive the stabbing - all one has to do is google "man survives stabbing" (without quotes) and you will see numerous examples of regular (that is, non-superhero) people surviving stabbings.

For bane to be surprised by Catwoman on the bike - he had just recovered from the apparently excruciating pain that he experiences when his mask his removed, so perhaps he was not at his most lucid.

People pronounce names differently all the time in the "real world", why would that be any different in a movie?

Jumping across the chasm - people can do all sorts of amazing things under the right conditions. Many examples of people lifting the rear/front end of a car enough to free a person pinned underneath. Google "man survives" and see what auto-complete comes up with.

So yeah - mindless bitching about little things that seem illogical or like plot holes? Forget it.

I'm not a film critic, or a cineaste, and I go to approximately 3 movies a year in the cinema, so my POV on what's entertaining is probably just that of a common troglodyte.

I'm actually trying to work out why I didnt enjoy it and have some fun at the same time. Because I really liked the first 2. Not looking for plot holes.

I'm also going to go see it again as I really want to enjoy it and hoping I was just in a bad mood last time.

looking forward to seeing prometheus again too

I thought it was a clear tribute to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v53mGjWu0F4

the movie is a bad series of montages

also did you notice Teal'c

I missed that... was he like one of the military dudes? But I noticed Hines Ward!

Hines-Ward-300x200.jpg

I remember that scene scaring the hell out of me when I first saw it!

If you liked the first two you will like this as it is more of the same, if you didn't then don't worry about it. It's a bloke in a batsuit beating shit up whilst a maniac blows things up, these films aren't as complicated as most would have you think.

I hope Michael Mann directs the next Batman, since they are gonna reboot this at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEKuJTu9xw

To me the main reason I am absolutely never interested in re-watching Nolan's Batman is that they lack good action sequences that are placed neatly within context to the emotional buildup of the film. Joker was the only character to push the action into an emotional context, so TDK sparsely had some very amazing moments. Still need to watch this one.

I didn't saw Batman Begins, disliked Dark Knight but loved this one. I don't know why, it just works fine.

I hate Marion Cotillard even more now, though.

PS : Total Recall looks like an absolute piece o'crap.

really?

PS : Total Recall looks like an absolute piece o'crap.

"Asian prostitute with three boobs"

I love how Colin Ferret asks the asian prostitue "where is Recall?" and she points to a giant billboard that says Recall.

Guest Rabid

I didn't saw Batman Begins, disliked Dark Knight but loved this one. I don't know why, it just works fine.

I actually liked Dark Knight more, though to be honest it's been years since I've seen that one. That being said, TDKR is pretty good. I didn't like it as much as Prometheus though.

really?

yeah - the sense of foreboding, then chaos on the football field (the holiest of holy places), the turning around of the player afterward. I don't know - but that's instantly what i thought of.

something else i appreciated about TDKR is that in these kind of epic disaster movie type scenarios every scene is like an orgasm, where we experience little tension and pure spectacle. I feel like this movie does a good job of making the 'disaster' scenario seem very tense and nail biting, instead of a hard fuck against a wall it was a nice long tantric sexing. The whole montage where Bane was like 'there will be trials' i found simultaneously hilarious and scary.

Archived