recording

Bulls

Wolves

mental

them

the reasons are in the rhymes

:cisfor:

ಠ_ಠ

flying lotus doesn't have anything to do with rapping, nor does al green lol. you don't really have to validate the statement, i just don't see why it's so hard admitting your opinion isn't really relevant since you don't really like hip-hop all too much :whistling:

Not to derail the thread but, reading this I could help but think if FlyLo did an album or at least EP bringing in a bunch of underground rappers, kinda like Prefuse73's "Surrounded By Silence" it'd probably be pretty sweet...

totally with you on that.

Guest jenny

wolf gang are pretty heavy. aesthetically they're incredibly pleasing to me, although the music sometimes feels lacking. i guess that's a risk with having a crew with a very strong visual style, people start expecting too much from the songs and won't let them speak for themselves as much. on the other hand, i guess other people may be more generous towards the music and give it more of a fair chance if they're impressed by the "package" surrounding it.

i might be the only one, but i'm not huge on their album art and overall visual aesthetic—it doesn't really work for any of them in particular. maybe earl? i don't know.

Guest clockmaker

So I went and saw these guys a couple months ago. The venue had terrible sound. Tyler was ill (literally) and only came out for a few tracks. Aside from that, still a good show, but there was so much pot smoke I can't be sure. Both bastard and goblin have good and bad tracks. They need Earl back for some balance. As for the language, they are teenagers. Come on. There IS promise. Hell.

http://youtu.be/XSbZidsgMfw

....and p diddy temporarily changed his name to "swag". What an ass

Guest tht tne

also odd future are twice as talented as your average horrorcore artist, but to be fair that's no hard feat.

dr octagon >

dr. dooom

>

not horrorcore IMO. well not octagon at least. octagon is just about crazy flows and lyrics that make sense in the least logical manner.

east and south with blood pouring down your mouth?

If they clean up the lyrics, theres no point to the band anymore.

I dont think people "get" the whole immaturity thing. The unnecessary vulgar and low brow lyrics are part of the generation. Take a good look at Odd Future, this is the youth of today.

So first - they only have validity because of the dirtiness of their lyrics - amazing. Outkast, De La Soul, Nas, Tribe, all managed to make a point without relying on dirty lyrics as a crutch.

And this is not the youth of today that I know - I go to school with 30,000+ 18-21 year olds who are for the most part pretty intelligent, hard-working kids with goals in life.

Finally - I love how quickly they managed to turn their "art" into a commodity. Now all of the "real" fans can say - "I had their tumblr bookmarked when they were just starting, before they went mainstream".

This bullshit celebration of "youth culture" reeks of exploitation.

tl;dr I'm old get off my lawn.

Guest AcrossCanyons

FREE EARL SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG i was on their tumblr before "yonkers" imma tru fan FUCK STEVE HARVEY lmao

And this is not the youth of today that I know - I go to school with 30,000+ 18-21 year olds who are for the most part pretty intelligent, hard-working kids with goals in life.

Say what you like about Tyler but he is defo intelligent, hardworking and has goals!! I perosnaly think he still has massive potentail but aint fulfilling it yet. More stuff like Bastard, French and Yonkers and he will be rite! but its still a bit to hit and miss at the moment for me.

the rape and murder schtick is not necessary for the rappers/producers in odd future to be talented or successful. it definitely doesn't define them—that type of shit comes almost exclusively from tyler and earl. not nearly as heavy from hodgy beats. and i still think that, creatively speaking, jet age of tomorrow has some of the best releases of anybody in the crew REAL TALK

fair enough - I'd like to give them another chance but there's so much shit on their tumblr.

I'll check out hodgy beats and jet age of tomorrow some more.

I dont think people "get" the whole immaturity thing. The unnecessary vulgar and low brow lyrics are part of the generation. Take a good look at Odd Future, this is the youth of today.

So first - they only have validity because of the dirtiness of their lyrics - amazing. Outkast, De La Soul, Nas, Tribe, all managed to make a point without relying on dirty lyrics as a crutch.

Finally - I love how quickly they managed to turn their "art" into a commodity. Now all of the "real" fans can say - "I had their tumblr bookmarked when they were just starting, before they went mainstream".

It offers a contrast to the picesofshitprepackagedrap bit in most pops songs? Every generation has some shitty music corp offering them the music on a plate that they "should" like. Dont 'cha just like to tell them to stick it up their hole? I could give many examples but sure Punk was never world renowned for its fabulous singers now was it?

chenGOD, i haven't checked out their second release too exhaustively, but their first release is pretty eclectic—reminiscent of james pants at times; at other times, it reminds me of sa ra-esque "spiritual"(?) hip hop, along with some near-dance moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWirmj11Bss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTbjQRBHbOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKgT1hs-Be8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVYKRQENTk4

edit: seriously, i have no clue why the debut from these guys didn't get more press—it's a surprisingly good debut album. i guess overshadowed by the rest of OFWGKTAETC

Edited by KY

It offers a contrast to the picesofshitprepackagedrap bit in most pops songs? Every generation has some shitty music corp offering them the music on a plate that they "should" like. Dont 'cha just like to tell them to stick it up their hole? I could give many examples but sure Punk was never world renowned for its fabulous singers now was it?

I guess if that's what you're basing your comparison off than yeah sure this is wonderful - but compared to actual hip-hop, I just don't find it terribly exciting or inspiring...

Guest tht tne

i used to feel like, "man, i missed out on some cool shit because it wasn't in the mainstream..." now the internet (for us) is the mainstream, and i feel like i'd be happier if things like this stayed well underground... hyping it is just opening it up to exploitation edit: also i saw lil b on mtv a few weeks ago

Edited by tht tne

I guess if that's what you're basing your comparison off than yeah sure this is wonderful - but compared to actual hip-hop, I just don't find it terribly exciting or inspiring...

Actual hip hop? Theres barely any new shit floating around. Doom and all is great, but this good too.

The older stuff is less applicable to me.