IGNORED

Is Rock Dead?

Guest Etch

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just going through a bit of a lull at the moment and there's nothing wrong with that. 2010 seemed a bad year but the kids will be back and tearing it up on stage soon enough. That's why it will never die. Some dj wanking over a laptop compared to a gig, with crashing guitars, moshing, chucking beer and the usual mayham isn't even in the same realm. You cannot beat rock music delivered live with passion.

Yeah and just for the record I fucking hate Bon Jovi, Coldplay, KOL etc etc lol. Yuk!

Guest analogue wings

It's just going through a bit of a lull at the moment and there's nothing wrong with that. 2010 seemed a bad year but the kids will be back and tearing it up on stage soon enough. That's why it will never die. Some dj wanking over a laptop compared to a gig, with crashing guitars, moshing, chucking beer and the usual mayham isn't even in the same realm. You cannot beat rock music delivered live with passion.

Yeah and just for the record I fucking hate Bon Jovi, Coldplay, KOL etc etc lol. Yuk!

Beavis_6.gif

the fact remains

all the original members of black sabbath are still alive

same with king crimson and many others

let me reel off a few that are at a bare minimum "still rocking"

them crooked vultures

sun o

boris

sonic youth

soundgarden

alice in chains

and there is a new van halen album in the works

the problem for me is that the quintessential statement has already been made and that blueprint is hard to top w/out being cliche

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqy4DTHGqg

you can see how pumped ozzy gets as the song progresses

as bill ward has remarked -there was a fifth element or member created when those guys played and it was bigger than the sum of the 4

how do you top this?

i never get sick of watching these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt3awj_Ah8

I think there's a couple of things going on.

Firstly the guitar is (finally) coming to the end of its time as the lead instrument of popular music. It took over from saxophone at the very start of the '60s and 50 years is a damn long time. People assume guitar is always just between comebacks but the comebacks just get shorter and lamer. I still enjoy playing guitar, but I don't expect staggering innovations or massive revolutionary cultural movements to come out of people holding guitars. Bye bye guitar.

Secondly economics - 4 piece rock n roll bands took over from big bands because they were much cheaper to form and operate. Cheaper is important because it's always the young and the poor that drive innovation in popular music.

Now of course, a laptop and a bunch of pirated software is way cheaper than forming a 4 piece rock n roll band, so guess where all the innovation is coming from?

People still talk about "bands". Pitchfork still gives Radiohead their number 1 for the year even if 78 of the other artists in the top 100 are not traditional bands. People still go to see Tool and Coldplay and Bon Jovi. But this will all fade away with time.

It's not a good thing, it's not a bad thing, it's just change. Deal and move on.

Very good points

ha!

RUSH - a guilty pleasure

i faved that same video recently

its like RUSH was the band i listened to while waiting for IDm to evolve

but only up until moving pictures-imho they got pretty lame after hearing the POLICE

rock as a creative movement peaked in the late 90's tailing off around the middle of 2k

now its just a clichéd fashion statement for teenagers who like to dress in black. look at the state of Karrang compared to 15yrs ago

there is some really good underground stuff about but thats strictly for the die hard musos and hipsters and even then its still nothing radically new

for me modern rock no musical skill or creativity anymore and is more a shadowed image of the good old days or a novelty act

I wonder how many Radiohead songs are just Thom Yorke and his laptop telling the rest of the band mates to go chill. As cool as their later stuff is, they really do kick ass when it sounds like group effort.

I didn't say rock music, I said popular music. Rock music is popular music with guitar as the features instrument. If popular music moves away from guitar as featured instrument (which it is), then you don't have rock music anymore

yeah, but this thread posits that rock music might be dead—to me, saying something is not as popular as it once was in no way means it's dead. so i think we just have different definitions of "dead".

Well you have trends and then you have traditions. You will always have traditions regardless of trends, so you will always have the New York Philharmonic. It's not really a counterexample to what I observed about economics. I'm sure New York still has big bands too, but how many? How many orchestras? Both have ceased to be accessible to the young n hungry due to economics.

do you mean rock music is not a tradition in some way? because that's definitely something else i'd argue, but no need to, really—it is what it is. and honestly, i'm starting to think of rock outside of the classical guitars/bass/drums configuration, and I'm not sure whether that's even on-topic at that point. i think the genre will just evolve to incorporate technological developments in music, but won't necessarily lose its spirit. i think disco and its prevalence in some electronic music can be argued as an example of that.

i think the arrival of microgenres has probably killed "rock", whatever that was, to the extent that we'll never see another world uniting mega band like led zeppelin or whatever.

but rock, as in bands with guitars, or that swagger and spirit of rock, is far from dead.

Guest Greg Reason

Rock isn't going anywhere. Since when have the charts mattered? Most people steal their shit anyway.

Funny conversation from people with a vested interest in minority-group alternative music :biggrin:

rock as a creative movement peaked in the late 90's tailing off around the middle oof 2k

Def agree. There was a mountain of amazing guitar music then. Slayer, Pantera, Soundgarden, Ministry, Butthole Surfers, Deftones, SOAD, Sonic Youth, Shellac, Fugazi, Therapy, Warrior Soul, NIN, Alice in Chains, OK Computer by Radiohead (just in case you didn't know!). Some of these bands ruled in the late 80's but made killer stuff in the 90's too, and a new generation also were rising. There's loads more too but that's straight off the top of my head after a 14 hour shift lol.

Anyone who thinks rock is dead is a muppet. It's been said a thousand times before and been proved wrong. And will be proved wrong again and again and again.

Rock isn't going anywhere. Since when have the charts mattered? Most people steal their shit anyway.

Funny conversation from people with a vested interest in minority-group alternative music :biggrin:

actually, a number of people on this forum have grown out of/separated themselves from IDM music since joining WATMM, myself being one of them.

the_more_you_know.jpg

lol Sirch, irony in there somewhere.

turn the guitars down and sack the lead singer... then buy some synths.

any band what uses synths is ok by me. ;)

rock smells like an old person's house. musty. faggy. like hairy top lipped grandma's.

Are you saying you like nu-rave and synthcore? because that is basically rock music with synths. And it fucking sucks.

Archived