Guest zaphod

This is going to suck so bad and I want it to be so good. But Ridley Scott has made two good movies, Alien and Blade Runner, and a lot of terrible stuff. And Body of Lies, which I thought was a decent, probably highly inaccurate but somehow era defining look at the way intelligence and information is used in combat situations. Although, his two good films are genre pieces, so maybe...

I still think he's a hack for hire, like Fincher, who lucked into making a couple of iconic movies. A technical genius, but that's about it.

Guest zaphod

Legend sucks dick. Unless you're some kind of contrarian who is in love with 80's cheese aesthetics I don't see how you honestly could like that movie.

Guest Mirezzi

did you like Legend? it's not amazing but it still has that visual ridiculousness of Blade Runner and Alien albeit not as high budget

I enjoy zaphod's hyperbole as much or more than anyone, but Scott has made more than two good movies.

Kingdom of Heaven

Gladiator

Body of Lies.

He has, however, made a LOT of shit.

Edited by The Overlook

Guest zaphod

I'm gonna watch it tonight so I can post about how it sucks in your thread. Gladiator Revisited: tentative 3/10

Guest Mirezzi

haha ok...if I recall correctly, you agreed with me about the quality of the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut...

i don't understand how anyone could seriously like Body of Lies, its extremely sub par even compared to other modern war movies like Hurt Locker (which i thought was total shit). It just seemed like a bad clone (of only one of the story threads) of another movie that wasn't great but much better, Syriana

Edited by Awepittance

I was in a discussion with someone arguing his favorite movie was Gladiator. I couldn't help but laugh at him in his face. Apparently it was pretty humiliating for him. I was being awfully honest though.

LOL

Thinking about it again....

He was quite sincere as well about his favorite movie.

Guest zaphod

i don't understand how anyone could seriously like Body of Lies, its extremely sub par even compared to other modern war movies like Hurt Locker (which i thought was total shit). It just seemed like a bad clone (of only one of the story threads) of another movie that wasn't great but much better, Syriana

Oh man, don't get me started on how bad Syriana is.

Body of Lies seemed like a frankenscript that had been rewritten 3 times, once after they watched Lions for Lambs, one more time after the studio saw Rendition and then once again after they got themselves a hold of the Hurt Locker script. Just a mashup of pure cliched shit

Edited by Awepittance

Oh man, don't get me started on how bad Syriana is.

Please do. I quite like the geopolitical action flick. The story is more than the average Bruce Willis or 007. Surely you can see some pros?

Guest zaphod

I don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion, it has derailed too much as is. We're making Fred Mcgriff cry.

Guest Mirezzi

I have a soft spot for films like Body of Lies and Syriana and I know both are subject to a metric shit ton of quite valid criticisms.

Guest zaphod

Body of Lies was more entertaining, to me. And it felt more authentic in what it captured, I think unintentionally, despite being cliched and boring in terms of writing. And I liked Russel Crowe in it. Syriana was preachy and attempting to be something that I felt was pretty phony. I've read Robert Baer's book which the movie is vaguely based on, and some of the stuff is interesting, but I'm not a fan of Babel/Traffic style massive Statements about extremely complex issues. I don't think Body of Lies had such lofty aspirations, and it succeeds because of that.

I don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion, it has derailed too much as is. We're making Fred Mcgriff cry.

Gladiator made me cry. I cry every time at the end, walking through the wheat field with James Horner playing.