IGNORED

GAK

KovalainenFanBoy

I have bought every RDJ record I felt was worth my money. I like to buy stuff I haven't heard before, by looking at review or listening just a few tracks or bits/samples/previews (you may think that's stupid but after 5 years and hundreds of albums I've only felt I've wasted my money twice or so). Now I'm planning on getting GAK, but I've heard like 3 minutes of it and I don't think it is worth it. What do you think?

The only bad thing about GAK is that it's too short because in my opinion it's just one of the best things AFX made earlier. Characteristic about the way he can just hit you with few simple synths and beats. Kinda repetitive but that's the point.

What sample did you hear by the way ?

Overall, I'd say GAK is worth more as a collectible than a piece of music, given the high prices it trades for these days. Of course, you could always download it first.

As for the actual music, the tracks improve as the EP goes on. So GAK 1 is the worst track, and GAK 4 is by far the best. GAK 1 almost sounds average (compared to Richard's other output) at first, but later on, a set of piano chords make the track worth listening to. GAK 2 has a dark atmosphere, characteristic of Richard's earlier material. GAK 3 sounds particularly groovy, bouncing with energy and never failing to make me move. GAK 4, everyone's favourite, sounds a lot more mature and polished than the rest, with Richard's trademark beautiful melodies and harmonies.

If the sound of GAK could be described in one word, it would be minimal. The synths and beats are, along with the patterns, fairly simple. But the magic of GAK is that the music is greater than the sum of its parts. Take the beginning of GAK 2. It starts with the most basic of melodies, five notes (with two in quick succession) in four beats. After a few seconds, taps are introduced between the beats, both percussing and harmonizing with the melody. It builds further and further, each layer so simple, yet the overall atmosphere created has genuine musical value.

tl;dr: Get it for GAK 4. It's good.

Take the beginning of GAK 2. It starts with the most basic of melodies, five notes (with two in quick succession) in four beats. After a few seconds, taps are introduced between the beats, both percussing and harmonizing with the melody. It builds further and further, each layer so simple, yet the overall atmosphere created has genuine musical value.

tl;dr: Get it for GAK 4. It's good.

This ! The moment the kicks get in is so good :aphexsign:

Like track 1, where the piano comes in and give more "sense" to all the stuff.

I'm kind of surprised about the "meh" advice of most of Wattumers around there because I personally always considered this little EP as a must have. A lot more than Classics or the firsts Analogue Bubblebath for example, which I think got old a lot more quickly than GAK.

GAK? GAK!! Guitar and Keyboard!!!!!!!! Yes GAK!! a shop where Richard gone 2 there in cornwall!! oh yes! GAK, WARP, The record is sourced from demos Richard D. James sent to Warp Records in 1990 prior to his signing : Retreived From WARP Archives, 1990, yes!

IloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAK!

all tracks, yes, i love them. bought it 4 50€. expensive! less than Power-Pill - Pac-Man!

buy it, please, it'll b my pleasure if u buy it, not the mine, but buy it & u'll b happy!

signed : crazy frog!

IMO, only track 4 is really decent. GAK is more a collectable curiosity than anything else these days, and the vinyl is somewhat common (and much cheaper), the CD version goes for mad money due to it's rarity.

GAK? GAK!! Guitar and Keyboard!!!!!!!! Yes GAK!! a shop where Richard gone 2 there in cornwall!! oh yes! GAK, WARP, The record is sourced from demos Richard D. James sent to Warp Records in 1990 prior to his signing : Retreived From WARP Archives, 1990, yes!

IloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAKIloveGAK!

all tracks, yes, i love them. bought it 4 50€. expensive! less than Power-Pill - Pac-Man!

buy it, please, it'll b my pleasure if u buy it, not the mine, but buy it & u'll b happy!

signed : crazy frog!

you on Gak, or wut? lol ;)

Guest narkeworld

Gak is a wicked EP and and basically not one of you has any clue what's going on and that's the cold hard truth, period.

I think I may have been too harsh but as Aphex went on his music got worse, after 95 it starts to go down hill unlike Autechre who actually got better, Drukqs is a mess when compared to Confield, just is. GAK EP is really really good it even has the classic Aphex "train rhythm" that you hear in the Mindstream remix and the U.I. releases. Unfortunatley a lot of you guys were probably not around to experience the "techno revolution" of the late 80's early 90's so you just don't know how importantt the GAK EP probably is, it's this subtle Aphex stuff that's so important, like the Bradley Strider stuff as well, that for some reason was not included in the week by week listening session and review event that happened here on this board, I can't understand how the Bradlye Strider stuff was overlooked, insane, oh well.

Archived