IGNORED

Battles - Gloss Drop

beariksson

Guest Lucy Faringold

Can't stop listening to this. Seems to get better with every spin. Stanier's drumming isn't flashy but his technique and power give the tracks an incredible punch.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gave Mirrored a listen when it came out and was a bit torn about it... loved the music, but absolutely hated all the high-pitched vocals everywhere. Then I gave Ice Cream a listen when it was released and wasn't too impressed. Something about it made me come back and listen to it more though and now I love it. So I gave Gloss Drop a chance and man, I'm really liking this!! I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm glad the vocals that are there are guest singers.

Exactly. There were so many awesome grooves on Mirrored, so much to like, but the Alvin and the Chipmunk impersonations really clashed with everything and were a terrible mistake. The idea of anyone missing that kind of baffles me.

pitchfork gave it a 7.4 and the review is lol worthy. the first sentence is that gloss drop should not be compared to mirrored. the next 40 or so sentences do just that.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Saw these guys in Glasgow tonight. Amazing show. They only played Gloss Drop stuff (and wigged out variations thereof) but the set was brilliantly varied and a joy from start to finish. Quite a different dynamic to the times I've seen them play with Tyondai - they seemed more direct somehow. Seeing Ian Williams effortlessly multi-task various instruments (simultaneous cowbell and synth? Aye, why not!) is so much fun and Konopka was laying down some heavy-duty bass frequencies too. Also John Stanier. JOHN STANIER.

They'll play in my city soon. Are they a good live band?

Jaw-droppingly so.

I saw them in Barcelona last month and they are great live.

Been guilty of not bothering with this album.

Yes I am a retard sometimes.

Just youtubed Futura, my wallet was inching closer, halfway through Africastle and the deal was as good as done. Definately a one for the turntable.

2 plays in and this is sounding like a stone cold classic to me. You know when an album is good when it put's a spring in your step and makes you punch the air with joy. Can't wait 'till tmrw to play it again!

i've been giving this a try but... meh

to me it sounds like nonsense techno with live instrumentation, it's way too much repetitive, tracks are way too long, i get bored, not enough variation on the drums... :shrug:

it's one of those albums that if you preview some tracks you get a good impression and get curious but when full listening to it it just doesn't make up... imo

It's not Mirrored 2: The Squeakquel.

It's Battles shreddin' it up like it's their job. And that video of them playing Wall Street has convinced me completely to catch them in Boston this October. I'll have to remember that.

to me it sounds like nonsense techno with live instrumentation, it's way too much repetitive, tracks are way too long, i get bored, not enough variation on the drums... :shrug:

it's one of those albums that if you preview some tracks you get a good impression and get curious but when full listening to it it just doesn't make up... imo

You should probably never listen to Circle.

I am gutted I slept on this because I have missed all their uk live dates. I think I have been bowled over/suprised by this record because I never got into their last one at all. Not that I put much effort in tbh. Sometimes music will just strike a chord with you and this has just hit me at the right place and right time.

I don't think I possess an album like this in my collection. To me it just sounds really unique.

I am gutted I slept on this because I have missed all their uk live dates.

No you haven't !!! :D

26 Cardiff, UK – *VENUE CHANGE*, Solus, Cardiff University → Buy Tickets

27 Birmingham, UK – HMV Institute → Buy Tickets

28 Bristol, UK – The Trinity Centre → Info/Tickets

I am gutted I slept on this because I have missed all their uk live dates.

No you haven't !!! :D

26 Cardiff, UK – *VENUE CHANGE*, Solus, Cardiff University → Buy Tickets

27 Birmingham, UK – HMV Institute → Buy Tickets

28 Bristol, UK – The Trinity Centre → Info/Tickets

SAVAGE!!! Though I live in London. I am sure patience will be rewarded. Thanks all the same Skipper.

been seeing the vinyl around the place over the last few days. might pick it up tonight actually. the artwork doesn't look nearly as terrible in physical format. and i quite like the three different 'flavours' for the icecream 12".

Flavours-web_1200.jpg

you mean you only ever listen to music that jumps out at you upon first listen? there is a lot more variation to this album than you think. tbh i also thought it was a bit bland at first, then it kinda 'unlocked' after a few more listens.

Archived