IGNORED

Buying music online: MP3 or FLAC

chaosmachine

paid downloads  

73 members have voted

1. 1. your favorite band is selling a digital-only album online. which download would you buy? all are the same price.

• mp3 (about 100mb download)
    • flac (about 400mb download)
  2. 2. have you ever bought digital music (mp3s or flacs) online before?

• yes
    • no

Guest Sprigg

I prefer the mp3 files. I can fit far more of them on my 32Gb Cowon, and I can't really tell an audible difference between a v0/320mp3 and a FLAC file anyway.

i really don't see any reason for buying a lossy copy over lossless for the same price, you can convert it into mp3 quite easily if the need arises.

that and storage space isn't an issue for me either.

i really don't see any reason for buying a lossy copy over lossless for the same price, you can convert it into mp3 quite easily if the need arises.

Basically this. if they try to charge more for the lossless copy though, I would be more inclined to go for the lossy. Just bought the latest Vibert from Bleep as wav files. Hot damn! Easy delivery (not like rephlex with their silly one track at a time download) in a .zip package. Reasonable price. Booya - happy chen.

Guest 277: 930-933

I prefer FLAC or WAV.

Buy most of my mp3s at Juno and it really ticks me off that they charge extra for anything above 320 kbps.

depends.

if i love a song, i buy an mp3. if i love an album, i buy mp3s. if i love an album for a long time, or if i like the way it sounds a great deal, i buy flacs (or vinyl).

I can't really tell an audible difference between a v0/320mp3 and a FLAC file anyway.

i can't either, bit i still like flacs :shrug:

Doing some market research...

Assuming you occasionally purchase music online, which format would you prefer to download? MP3 or FLAC?

Why?

you forgot *.wav

what for ?

Guest hahathhat

yeah, i'd rather get both at once. that'd be the best option -- some FLACs for when i'm at my computer and mp3s for the 'pod

.wav is useless when there is FLAC, unless you have a shitty DAP that can't play FLAC. Then you fail.

I like wav for mixing digitally...I don't think audacity for example has support for flac?

Frequent Beatport customer reporting in: Lossless is the way to go. I'm not wasting money on some lossy product. Even if I can't hear the difference.

Frequent Beatport customer reporting in: Lossless is the way to go. I'm not wasting money on some lossy product. Even if I can't hear the difference.

You will once we can get bionic ears and then you'll be happy that you got your musics lossless.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

yeah, i'd rather get both at once. that'd be the best option -- some FLACs for when i'm at my computer and mp3s for the 'pod

convert the flacs to mp3 lol.

Archived