IGNORED

No love for Cabaret Voltaire?!?

Guest MastaN8

I doubt no one has dropped the CV bomb on watmm. I'm a Huge fan of CV want to get the new box sets (I own the albums individually) but way out of my price range right now...

• 7 years later...

You may have heard of Richard H. Kirk's passing this morning in the Celebrity Deaths thread or elsewhere. Cause unknown. Let's share some favorite CV or RHK solo tracks, or stories.

I personally got into CV in the early 2000s (maybe very late 90s) if I recall. Had been into industrial for nearly a decade and I'm sure I'd heard of them, having been such a huge influence on many of the acts I was into (namely Skinny Puppy), but I believe that was the time I first started listening. Some of the first ones I heard were Technology: Western Re-Works 1992 and Plasticity (which I recently revisited), which are clearly not representative of their early industrial works. But I liked them quite a bit. Eventually went back in their catalog, but have to say that The Crackdown and Micro-Phonies era is my favorite...and that's probably because my intro was remixes of that material. But there are still quite a few things I haven't listened to. 

Awesome band. I really got into the Cabs around 17, after discovering NIN and exploring "industrial". There's so many gems throughout their catalogue, the video work with Peter Care... a bit of everything. 

International Language is amazing. Richard H. Kirk’s solo stuff is really good too. I first heard Sweet Exorcist on this “aural ecstasy” tape back in the day. It was an awesome compilation. Back in the early 90s I didn’t connect the dots at all that it was the guy from Cabaret Voltaire. I got into them around the same time tho- thru a magazine article with Skinny Puppy, where Ohgr said he was influenced by them. 

He will be missed, what a bummer.

22 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

Found it

Maybe merge the threads into a single kirk thread or tribute thread or something? 

I didn't think to search for a Kirk thread specifically, guess I figured there wouldn't be one. I was wrong. I wouldn't merge them, though, since this is an older thread specific to CV. My bad. If anything, move the new posts since yesterday to the Kirk thread if that's possible.

On 5/5/2011 at 12:16 AM, pattern recognition said:

:wub::wub:

I was actually going to post this video too. Completely hypnotic camera shit. I’ve seen it ripped off a few times in commercials, etc. Killer track, too. They are a band I’m ashamed to say that I am less familiar with than I should be, though they’re smack dab in the middle of my wheelhouse. I need to change that. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...