IGNORED

Reality Check

Joyrex

Also, whenever there is an event like BOC stream, or Autechre broadcast, CHATMM always gets full. Is there anyway that we could either up the limit, or have another chatroom be created when there is an expectation for high traffic such as featured artists events?

i second this.

thirded, although I can guarantee that it'll get messy anyway. CHATMM can be noisy/hard to keep up with, with even just 10 active people. also it seems to lag a lot with just that amount of users, it'd probably cost to allocate more bandwidth. but I'm just specualtin' there.

i've heard this argument a lot and it just doesn't click for me. i've been in irc rooms full of people and i've rarely had a problem with keeping up.

the bandwidth could be a problem though.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, whenever there is an event like BOC stream, or Autechre broadcast, CHATMM always gets full. Is there anyway that we could either up the limit, or have another chatroom be created when there is an expectation for high traffic such as featured artists events?

i second this.

thirded, although I can guarantee that it'll get messy anyway. CHATMM can be noisy/hard to keep up with, with even just 10 active people. also it seems to lag a lot with just that amount of users, it'd probably cost to allocate more bandwidth. but I'm just specualtin' there.

i've heard this argument a lot and it just doesn't click for me. i've been in irc rooms full of people and i've rarely had a problem with keeping up.

the bandwidth could be a problem though.

it's just a thing that happens when you switch from a messageboard style of communication to chatrooms. I was an IRC junkie for a long time in my highschool/uni years but I haven't been a regular visitor of chatrooms where there are, say, 15+ people, for a long time. it can be tiring. I didn't talk much in the mixlr room for the Autechre 12-hr mix broadcast either, it was so messy.

Well I think the chatroom could use some reformatting. For instance, it should take up more of the page to leave more room for text. That way it will be easier to keep track of text as it gets scrolled up and replaced by new text. Right now it can only show 8 lines of text at a time. If it were larger it help with the chaos of having a lot of users chatting it up.

I would love to see it support images as well but I can understand that it might be costly.

Can't embed youtube videos or images using the new skin. Changed to the old one.

Yeah, I noticed this too today - the YouTube HD BBCode works in a pinch, but I'll see if I can figure out what the issue is, since it's obviously skin-related.

i second this.

We already pay for the 20 user limit (25.00 every six months, I think) - 30 would be more (haven't looked into it), and honestly, beyond the Boards thing, I don't see us hitting the upper limit of users that often, if at all under normal circumstances.

Would you still be interested in a IP.Board module that integrates an IRC channel into the board? That would take away the licensing costs, user limit and will make it run with much less lag caused by the polling. A modern web based chat client should make use of web sockets... Check this out: https://kiwiirc.com/ Full javascript, loads of features, open-source and it seems to run extremely well with a lot of people and activity in it. You will need to run a little node.js server but the load caused by that should be minimal because websockets are used. I'm able to provide a free node.js server for it if needed as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you still be interested in a IP.Board module that integrates an IRC channel into the board? That would take away the licensing costs, user limit and will make it run with much less lag caused by the polling. A modern web based chat client should make use of web sockets... Check this out: https://kiwiirc.com/ Full javascript, loads of features, open-source and it seems to run extremely well with a lot of people and activity in it. You will need to run a little node.js server but the load caused by that should be minimal because websockets are used. I'm able to provide a free node.js server for it if needed as well.

good idea.

I don't get the best answer from teh thread thingy... papa can you explain? :unsure:

The OP of the thread gets to choose the best answer, or so i've been told when asking the same thing a few weeks back. It should be formatted so that they can only choose one best answer though, cause it polutes the thread title on the list pages.

• 2 weeks later...

So...is there some maintenance going on? The site's been down twice afaik now and the skin I usually use (ip board) has changed slightly, including no boxes around quotes, which is slightly confusing.

Also if I try to comment on my phone now it throws me off the site completely.

speaking of the best answer thing, I've noticed there's this weird HTML/formatting error that appears under some threads which have been "Answered", when I look at the My Content page. it's currently appearing under the WATMM London meetup thread, the Obama surveillance thread, the "is Autechre relevant anymore" thread, etc. I'd take a screenshot but I'm too lazy/at work.

I've noticed that as well... it might be skin-related (this Tomorrow's Harvest skin). I haven't been around the last few weeks to look into it, but I will.

I don't get the best answer from teh thread thingy... papa can you explain? :unsure:

The OP of the thread gets to choose the best answer, or so i've been told when asking the same thing a few weeks back. It should be formatted so that they can only choose one best answer though, cause it polutes the thread title on the list pages.

Yeah... I might turn off that "best answer" thing altogether - not as useful as I thought it would be.

no joy on the 'new posts' function being broken? ive literally seen certain posts over 50 times now, it just doesnt work anymore, its weird.

Not sure what you mean - works fine for me - make sure you're accepting cookies from the site.

So...is there some maintenance going on? The site's been down twice afaik now and the skin I usually use (ip board) has changed slightly, including no boxes around quotes, which is slightly confusing.

Also if I try to comment on my phone now it throws me off the site completely.

Yeah, I've had to reboot the server three times in the last two days... it's odd, because the server is running and fine, just nobody can get to it. A reboot solves it. We'll look into it.

no joy on the 'new posts' function being broken? ive literally seen certain posts over 50 times now, it just doesnt work anymore, its weird.

Not sure what you mean - works fine for me - make sure you're accepting cookies from the site.

It happens in image-heavy threads. It'll load to the latest post before loading all of the images, so when they appear they push the thread down quite considerably. Not sure if there's a delay that can be applied to the view latest post function..?

• 1 month later...

joyrex, re the forum donation bar thing... 3 or 4 days ago it said 60% of target had been reached for the month. today it says 24%. what's up with that?

Someone left the window open in one of the threads last night and there was a robbery

joyrex, re the forum donation bar thing... 3 or 4 days ago it said 60% of target had been reached for the month. today it says 24%. what's up with that?

Cocaine is a hell of a drug :emotawesomepm9:

Seriously though - the meter "rolls over" once the amount is met, so now we're 24% of the way towards next month's hosting costs.

In other good news, our hosting company has doubled our HDD space at no extra cost, so I'll be getting the updated Downloads module for the forum and we'll be putting up the Downloads (officially) again, so Chaosmachine won't have to host them anymore. More importantly, we'll have an interface for adding new downloads.

The extra space has given me some ideas for EKT as well...

photo-1.jpg?_r=1373987516

:emotawesomepm9:

photo-1.jpg?_r=1373987516

:emotawesomepm9:

You would not believe how hot wearing that mask is in the office

Seriously though - the meter "rolls over" once the amount is met, so now we're 24% of the way towards next month's hosting costs.

In other good news, our hosting company has doubled our HDD space at no extra cost, so I'll be getting the updated Downloads module for the forum and we'll be putting up the Downloads (officially) again, so Chaosmachine won't have to host them anymore. More importantly, we'll have an interface for adding new downloads.

then shouldn't it say something like "thank you! we have reached this month's target" or "we are now collecting for next month's fees". in theory, with this set up, it can "roll over" many times in a month and keep indicating that we're way off target, which encourages more donations when you already have your funding... maybe it should stop at 'fully donated' until the change of month, then jump to the new month's donation level?

as it is, it's extremely misleading and totally unethical. i'm not blaming you, especially if it's built in to the forum software, but it should definitely be changed in the name of fairness.

then shouldn't it say something like "thank you! we have reached this month's target" or "we are now collecting for next month's fees". in theory, with this set up, it can "roll over" many times in a month and keep indicating that we're way off target, which encourages more donations when you already have your funding... maybe it should stop at 'fully donated' until the change of month, then jump to the new month's donation level?

as it is, it's extremely misleading and totally unethical. i'm not blaming you, especially if it's built in to the forum software, but it should definitely be changed in the name of fairness.

Perhaps there should be a yearly target as well. I agree that if we contribute we should have some indication of how much is left to be paid, when you have a financial stake there shouldn't be any haziness. As i was under the impression that we were just making enough to get by, perhaps some stats would help bring this home to people that we are really month to month.

I do think that all users should contribute something though, regardless of hosting costs and what have you. If every medium to heavy user gave 10 bucks, this place would have plenty penny.

I see what you're saying... this is the limited free version of the donation meter addon, so perhaps it's time to invest in the "pro" version that has more features (like multiple goals, etc.) - that might allow it to be more clear on what the current month's goal is, versus a long-term goal, etc.

Perhaps there should be a yearly target as well. I agree that if we contribute we should have some indication of how much is left to be paid, when you have a financial stake there shouldn't be any haziness. As i was under the impression that we were just making enough to get by, perhaps some stats would help bring this home to people that we are really month to month.

I do think that all users should contribute something though, regardless of hosting costs and what have you. If every medium to heavy user gave 10 bucks, this place would have plenty penny.

I like the idea of a yearly target - the biggest issue with showing a monthly goal (and reaching it) is a lot of people see that and say, "oh, they've got this month covered, I won't bother donating" and then we run into potential deficits. The old donation meter was like that where it said the month being collected for.

I've been meaning to ask - Why is it that all IP.B extensions you have to pay for, do they all have to go through Invision for approval ? Is there not like free 'open source' extensions as per other board software?

Archived