IGNORED

Still no album

marf

This whole "releasing an album" thing is an incredibly daunting task. Sending Warp a few WAVs with a few clicks of the mouse is ridiculously draining and soul crushing. You just don't know the strength and courage it requires. If you knew, you'd feel sorry for poor ol' Aphex. Give the man a vacation already, goddammit.

fucking lol

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like a comprehensive list of what people consider to be his unreleased material, and the best quality versions available. I remember downloading a .zip of a bunch of tracks(i think it was called afx unreleased snack pack) a few years back but 80% of them ended up being released later as either Tuss or as bonus analords. I can only think of 4 or so tracks that in my mind are unique newish unreleased work of his that he has played live. But I have no idea where to find the best versions of these. A couple I am not so sure about anymore because they are tracks I have not heard in the most recent sets. There are also a bunch of tracks that many assumed were his but ended up being squarepusher.

tracks I'm thinking of:

1. tussy track #1 (metz)

2. tussy track #2 (other one, similar, forgot what the kids call it these days)

3. boombly bangin bass techno beats+ drukqs breakbeats(my personal favorite, although might not be his, lol)

4. crazy choppyly sequenced detuned oscillator stack track (monolith possibly, at least monolith played it in recent set)

5. extended version of the scifi stair rem

6. that insane glitchy bit that I've heard 2 different recordings of.(pretty old comparatively to the rest)

probably a couple other things. I desperately want to hear these tracks in full glory.

Why don't you post what shows these were played at, your description alone isn't enough on some of those. I have about 8-10 unreleased tracks that have been played over the last 4 years or so, may put them together later. Also what's the monolith one you are referring to, post it maybe?

listening to recordings excessively sounds like a bad way to experience these tracks. I'm sure richard doesn't care, but it'd be nice if he did release the tracks that are being passed around via youtube... why would you want your fans to experience unheard material via crappy camera recordings?

I'd like a comprehensive list of what people consider to be his unreleased material, and the best quality versions available. I remember downloading a .zip of a bunch of tracks(i think it was called afx unreleased snack pack) a few years back but 80% of them ended up being released later as either Tuss or as bonus analords. I can only think of 4 or so tracks that in my mind are unique newish unreleased work of his that he has played live. But I have no idea where to find the best versions of these. A couple I am not so sure about anymore because they are tracks I have not heard in the most recent sets. There are also a bunch of tracks that many assumed were his but ended up being squarepusher.

tracks I'm thinking of:

1. tussy track #1 (metz)

3. boombly bangin bass techno beats+ drukqs breakbeats(my personal favorite, although might not be his, lol)

4. crazy choppyly sequenced detuned oscillator stack track (monolith possibly, at least monolith played it in recent set)

6. that insane glitchy bit that I've heard 2 different recordings of.(pretty old comparatively to the rest)

probably a couple other things. I desperately want to hear these tracks in full glory.

Why don't you post what shows these were played at, your description alone isn't enough on some of those. I have about 8-10 unreleased tracks that have been played over the last 4 years or so, may put them together later. Also what's the monolith one you are referring to, post it maybe?

I'll upload what I have.

# 6 above is unknown track 02

# 4 above is mystery_trackafx.mp3 also played by monolith in this video, first track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJzyZHorS8U

# 3 above is unreleasedBloc09 (Im not talking about the track that leads into it, real meat of it starts at 0:45, he's play this one at least 3 times, i have one other recording of it that is slightly punchier [warp20 paris w/ hecker 2009 set - @1:12:00 - 1:14:30] and there is also a blip of it on a crappy youtube video which is the oldest version I know of)

# 1 is 5 minutes into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igwa2nO4lOw

# 2 is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0Ldfv4xyc

those vids are shit quality, i think there are better versions.

the extended sci-fi staircase thing I can't rememeber what set, maybe BLOC? can't find it right now.

aphex twin - unknown track 02 - 2002.mp3

mystery_trackafx.mp3

afxunreleasedBLOC09.mp3

tracks I'm thinking of:

1. tussy track #1 (metz)

I'll upload what I have.

# 6 above is unknown track 02

# 4 above is mystery_trackafx.mp3 also played by monolith in this video, first track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJzyZHorS8U

# 3 above is unreleasedBloc09 (Im not talking about the track that leads into it, real meat of it starts at 0:45, he's play this one at least 3 times, i have one other recording of it that is slightly punchier [warp20 paris w/ hecker 2009 set - @1:12:00 - 1:14:30] and there is also a blip of it on a crappy youtube video which is the oldest version I know of)

# 1 is 5 minutes into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igwa2nO4lOw

# 2 is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0Ldfv4xyc

those vids are shit quality, i think there are better versions.

the extended sci-fi staircase thing I can't rememeber what set, maybe BLOC? can't find it right now.

First three videos I would say are Aphex with the exception of the first one, who knows could also be Monolith, altough it's a great track no matter what

On the attached files, mystery_trackafx was played in some older sets, that on from 2005 Snowmbombing set, where there were a few others that were questionable from that set and from others around that time frame, most proved to be other artists. Have to refer back to that thread where most of these tracks have been figured out.

aphex twin - unknown track 02 - 2002.mp3 is Squarepusher, see this recent thread Two supposed Aphex tracks in there that Tom plays, both from December 2002 shows. Also in the keyfumbler videos the 2of10 video he plays that Acid White label track that everyone credited Aphex Twin for the most part for the longest time. afxunreleasedBLOC09.mp3 sounds slightly like older Aphex Twin if it actually is him

I'm adding a link to all the ones I've gathered from live shows, none of the ones you attached here but the videos I re-posted in mp3 format, there is three different recordings of the 'Manchester Track', one being played in 2007 Manchester Show (video above), the other in 2009 at Melt Festival, and last one in 2011 at the show in Singapore at Mosiac Festival. Also two files of the same track played at different shows, labeled phonic5, first played at Oxegen set 2008-07-11 and other with Aphex Twin/Hecker at STRP on 2009-04-04, and also the Bad Bonn Kilbi track that both Aphex and Monolith (video above) have played. Added the extended sci-fi staircase track so others could hear it that didn't know what you were referring to. Enjoy

live unreleased AFX tracks.rar

thanks man. Also I just realized I totally uploaded the wrong track. Instead of the squarepusher one above I meant to upload this glitchy bit that is pretty old comparatively to the rest but I like it a lot. They were both in the same playlist and had similar names...

EDIT: also attached the other version of the boombly-bass breakbeat track, this time from warp20 paris. It has a little more presence but not as long.

aphex twin - unknown track 01 - 2002.mp3

warp20-paris-unreleasedafx.mp3

I'm surprised that, given he has hundreds of unreleased tracks, so little new material by him is played at his live shows. Relatively speaking.

I'm surprised that, given he has hundreds of unreleased tracks, so little new material by him is played at his live shows. Relatively speaking.

ever consider that a) if he does have that many unreleased tracks they probably arent great enough for him to want to release IE the recent leaked flacs

b) he doesn't have very much unreleased music

Guest fromheaven

ever consider that a) if he does have that many unreleased tracks they probably arent great enough for him to want to release IE the recent leaked flacs

b) he doesn't have very much unreleased music

a) "IE the recent leaked flacs" where do i find them ?

b) he said that he got 4 albums ready for release in a interview for a year ago or so.

Guest hahathhat

This whole "releasing an album" thing is an incredibly daunting task. Sending Warp a few WAVs with a few clicks of the mouse is ridiculously draining and soul crushing. You just don't know the strength and courage it requires. If you knew, you'd feel sorry for poor ol' Aphex. Give the man a vacation already, goddammit.

i agree with you, but that's besides the point !

what bugs me is repeatedly having my hopes dashed: new aphex! nevermind, just analord b-sides. new album 2009! never mind. new album 2010! nevermind. new album this year! another 'nevermind' inevitably on its way. meanwhile, rephlex is still pulling stupid mind games instead of releasing music. it's all well and good when they're putting out the tunes, but they ain't. i half wonder if they've packed it in and are just torturing the fans for a laugh at this point (:duckhunt:)

Guest fromheaven

what bugs me is repeatedly having my hopes dashed: new aphex! nevermind, just analord b-sides. new album 2009! never mind. new album 2010! nevermind. new album this year! another 'nevermind' inevitably on its way. meanwhile, rephlex is still pulling stupid mind games instead of releasing music. it's all well and good when they're putting out the tunes, but they ain't. i half wonder if they've packed it in and are just torturing the fans for a laugh at this point (:duckhunt:)

Maybe they sell next to nothing. And thats the reason why they dont bother. Most of the recent released from Rephlex is pure crap including the Analord b-sides ( except one track ) I bought them and it was not money well spend.

Guest hahathhat

yes, at this point they're largely coasting on their reputation. without that, they'd never have gotten monolith and jodey kendrick, who've had the only good releases...

the mind games are there to make it feel like an exclusive little club where you feel so wonderful and special because you get the in-jokes and private humor.

Guest hahathhat

steve beckett, warp,

Richard ’Aphex Twin’ James, one of the leading electronic musicians of the past two decades, has – according to Warp Records boss Steve Beckett – a new album “definitely on its way”. Oh, and that’ll happen “hopefully this year.”

It’ll be the first proper Aphex album since 2001’s drukqs – though he has released a fair bit of material in that time, including ten Analord 12”s, the 26 Mixes for Cash compilation, and an album and EP as The Tuss – which may or may not have been him. But it probably was. He’s also been collaborating live with renowned sound artist Florian Hecker.

"We’re definitely going to be putting out a new album by him," Beckett told BBC 6 Music. "Hopefully it will be this year, if I can prise it out of his hands. It’s definitely on its way."

"I don’t know a single note or anything about it. It will be as much of a surprise to me as anyone else. Basically I find out what it sounds like when we go into the mastering room and he puts it – well how it used to be, he’ll put the DAT player in and there it’ll be – so that’s the first time I’ll hear it. Then I’ll go onto my knees and thank him and then we’ll put it out."

http://www.factmag.com/2009/03/18/steve-beckett-spills-beans-on-new-aphex/

2009/03/18 as per article url

initially got me hopefull it'd be 2009

then in 2010 i figured it just wasn't done quite yet

2011 i'm kind of annoyed

not to mention i actually hoped konklavier was real. even though i knew it wasn't. fashionable hatpiece !

edit: rephlex releases tidbits about shipping containers, misleading interviews, bizarre mind games. funny until there's more of it than music. the least they could do is explain what the fuck is going on after so many years of aggravating miscommunication.

rephlex releases tidbits about shipping containers, misleading interviews, bizarre mind games. funny until there's more of it than music. the least they could do is explain what the fuck is going on after so many years of aggravating miscommunication.

explanation:

trollface1.jpg

steve beckett, warp,

Richard ’Aphex Twin’ James, one of the leading electronic musicians of the past two decades, has – according to Warp Records boss Steve Beckett – a new album “definitely on its way”. Oh, and that’ll happen “hopefully this year.”

It’ll be the first proper Aphex album since 2001’s drukqs – though he has released a fair bit of material in that time, including ten Analord 12”s, the 26 Mixes for Cash compilation, and an album and EP as The Tuss – which may or may not have been him. But it probably was. He’s also been collaborating live with renowned sound artist Florian Hecker.

"We’re definitely going to be putting out a new album by him," Beckett told BBC 6 Music. "Hopefully it will be this year, if I can prise it out of his hands. It’s definitely on its way."

"I don’t know a single note or anything about it. It will be as much of a surprise to me as anyone else. Basically I find out what it sounds like when we go into the mastering room and he puts it – well how it used to be, he’ll put the DAT player in and there it’ll be – so that’s the first time I’ll hear it. Then I’ll go onto my knees and thank him and then we’ll put it out."

http://www.factmag.com/2009/03/18/steve-beckett-spills-beans-on-new-aphex/

2009/03/18 as per article url

So basically Steve Beckett will pleasure Richard when it comes out :tongue:

Guest hahathhat

rephlex releases tidbits about shipping containers, misleading interviews, bizarre mind games. funny until there's more of it than music. the least they could do is explain what the fuck is going on after so many years of aggravating miscommunication.

explanation:

trollface1.jpg

yeah, exactly, that's what i'm afraid of.

whatever, i guess. i'll be in my corner writing music.

Ah, well my post was meant to be facetious, haha. He's being an embarrassing bum!

true. But he doesn't really have a history of playing all of his unreleased tracks in DJ sets. Did we know what drukqs was going to sound like before release, did we know about all of the tuss tracks, the analord tracks. No, he just played a few of them, but I think the real gems are the ones we haven't heard. He really doesn't even play that much of his old material either. Of course he will play a few tracks of his in every set, but usually only 1 or 2 his unreleased material.

Archived