IGNORED

Naive question about foreigners

kakapo

As you know I despise all foreign types, but they are occasionally interesting. It does seem that after 2 millenia of exporting culture to relatively impoverished nations such as the French, globalisation/mass media/internet have meant that the UK is no longer a monolithic Pharos shining the light of whippets, champagne and IDM into the darkened corners of the world, and that for the first time in history there is a more genuine cross cultural exchange.

Give me examples of surprising cultural osmosis. I want to see footage of someone in jiangxi province doing jewish mother-in-law jokes at an open mic night. I'm thinking more along the lines of 'lipstick traces' than say cultural homogenisation such as 'sea gypsies discover football and here is our beautifully shot and expensive corporate video about it'. Do the Chinese do stand up?

[youtubehd]c-_C3tAGhvw[/youtubehd]

No idea what they're saying so I couldn't say how appropriate this video is for your requests

Hong Kong though, so technically British.

Beyond the surface resemblance there are differences. While American stand-up comedians tend to work solo, in China the two-person format is the dominant one (perhaps reflecting the cultural tendency toward collectivism vs. the American cult of the individual). Crosstalk performers tend to be somewhat more formal and “stagey” in their delivery than their American counterparts. But the major difference lies in the overall structure of the performance. An American stand-up comedy routine tends to consist of a string of jokes loosely strung together, with the performer flitting from topic to topic with throwaway lines as perfunctory segues from one subject to the next. In contrast, a crosstalk piece is always a coherent, self-contained routine with a fixed narrative or unifying main premise. In this sense, a typical crosstalk piece more resembles a scripted dialogue such as Abbot and Costello’s “Who’s on First?” routine, or the Marx Brothers’ “Why a Duck?” scene. There is a repertoire of hundreds of traditional crosstalk pieces, as well as new pieces being written all the time, and each time a piece is performed the original premise and overall structure is preserved, with the performers free to add material or edit sections according to the needs of a specific performance. The subject matter of crosstalk draws upon every aspect of Chinese culture, from history, regional dialects and folk tales to contemporary issues like the one-child policy or economic modernization.

This is more what I was getting at, rather than japanese elvis.

As you know I despise all foreign types, but they are occasionally interesting. It does seem that after 2 millenia of exporting culture to relatively impoverished nations such as the French, globalisation/mass media/internet have meant that the UK is no longer a monolithic Pharos shining the light of whippets, champagne and IDM into the darkened corners of the world, and that for the first time in history there is a more genuine cross cultural exchange.

Give me examples of surprising cultural osmosis. I want to see footage of someone in jiangxi province doing jewish mother-in-law jokes at an open mic night. I'm thinking more along the lines of 'lipstick traces' than say cultural homogenisation such as 'sea gypsies discover football and here is our beautifully shot and expensive corporate video about it'. Do the Chinese do stand up?

Surely you realize Britain's culture has been influenced by other countries cultures it colonized just as much as, if not more so than it has influenced others?

Chew on that one as you get a kebab or a nice curry.

Curry was first brought to the UK by Sarmatian auxilia serving in the Roman army in the NE of England in the 2nd century AD. It's a bit of a stretch to call that foreign.

lol i read the title as "Do the Chinese stand up".

I've been to Hong Kong, and I've been to l'Angleterre. Hong Kong is about as British as a sunny day in Yorkshire.

It sounds like Chinese comedy is very similar to the Japanese Manzai (which was around before that rock Kakapo resides on was conquered by some bored French noble's illegitimate son, and of which Kitano Takeshi is a notable performer).

Guest dese manz hatin

I've been to Hong Kong, and I've been to l'Angleterre. Hong Kong is about as British as a sunny day in Yorkshire.

me too. instantly thought of stand-up-whipe :facepalm:

It sounds like Chinese comedy is very similar to the Japanese Manzai (which was around before that rock Kakapo resides on was conquered by some bored French noble's illegitimate son, and of which Kitano Takeshi is a notable performer).

It would be awesome if all this time they'd simply been sitting down.

Look, I'm still upset about 1453, never mind 1997, as far as I'm concerned HK is British. And the Normans weren't French, they were NORseMAN. France has never conquered the UK.

You let a bunch of greasy Italians conquer you, though. That's why you all wear white suits and gesticulate wildly.

You can be upset as that poor mackerel you battered and asalted last weekend over your filthy pints of Carlsberg down the quayside. Doesn't change the fact that in HK, the British became Chinese much more than the Chinese became British.

and I know you were joking, but you want to check where that bastard william was born.

Curry was first brought to the UK by Sarmatian auxilia serving in the Roman army in the NE of England in the 2nd century AD.

lol

i can't tell if OP is trollin or not. actually i think he is. everyone else ITT seems to think otherwise.

I think he's probably sincere about his stand-up question...the rest is comedy gold though. I thought that was obvious?

Guest Pennywise

all i know is that their rap music is about respecting their elders and heritage. I learnt that from Paul Merton goes to China

You let a bunch of greasy Italians conquer you, though. That's why you all wear white suits and gesticulate wildly.

In my eyes the Republic has more legitimacy than the current lot of electoral fraudsters. And since I claim descent from Sarmatian knights, my noble lineage is about 1,500 years longer than that inbred German prick (Kate Middleton is only fit if you're more used to your 13 toed cousins). The Queen's equerry hasn't got back to me yet though.

you want to check where that bastard william was born.

The Normans were Vikings who had settled just long enough to adopt a Romance language. Culturally a bit French, but not really.

jr has taken this off topic as usual.

In my eyes the Republic has more legitimacy than the current lot of electoral fraudsters. And since I claim descent from Sarmatian knights, my noble lineage is about 1,500 years longer than that inbred German prick (Kate Middleton is only fit if you're more used to your 13 toed cousins). The Queen's equerry hasn't got back to me yet though.

The Normans were Vikings who had settled just long enough to adopt a Romance language. Culturally a bit French, but not really.

LOL I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the Queen's equerry to reply to your correspondence, eloquent as you might have been (I'm sure you were). I think they've been overheard to say something along the lines of "northern monkeys".

William being a bastard born to some french tart makes him at least half-french, and since the normans had been there for about 200 years at that point..well you get where I'm going. ;)

Excellent thread by the way - most fun I've had in yoinks.:beer:

Guest Lady kakapo

Are the Chinese a happy people? The illegal immigrant in my local chinese supermarket seems quite a stern lady. I know were speaking in the broadest possible generalisations, but it's a serious question.

Guest Coalbucket PI

LOL I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the Queen's equerry to reply to your correspondence, eloquent as you might have been (I'm sure you were). I think they've been overheard to say something along the lines of "northern monkeys".

William being a bastard born to some french tart makes him at least half-french, and since the normans had been there for about 200 years at that point..well you get where I'm going. ;)

Excellent thread by the way - most fun I've had in yoinks.:beer:

They way I like to understand it is that we patiently and englishly waited for this semi-frenchman to warm to our culture, and then eventually turned everything back to being full English by assimilating cultures and pretending that's how it had been all along, thus in a way we just passively invaded France without having to do anything so dreadful as go there.

Guest Babar

It does seem that after 2 millenia of exporting culture to relatively impoverished nations such as the French

here is the surprising cultural osmosis you were looking for, you old noisy fart.

Guest Lady kakapo

It does seem that after 2 millenia of exporting culture to relatively impoverished nations such as the French

here is the surprising cultural osmosis you were looking for, you old noisy fart.

le weekend

Archived