IGNORED

Ascension Islands

beerwolf

Was reading about this place yesterday. What an incredible place and Boards of Canada through and through. It ticks all the boxes and would be a perfect place to set up Hexagon Sun, apart from the headache of getting the gear there (you have pay for a lift on a military plane which flys once every 2 weeks from a Royal Air Force base in Oxford)

Middle of nowhere, low population (1000), USA and UK military airbase, European Space Agency rocket tracking station, BBC World Service Atlantic Relay Station. It was used in the Cold War by the Americans and still used today by NASA though it's British Territory.

I'll put some photos up and you can see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I disagree. Tristan Da Cunha or Bouvetoya would be more suitable.

Too isolated and too little technology (and Bouvetoya is uninhabited). Tristan is more of place for someone like Jandek to move.

I thought hex sun was located at Palmyra Atoll.

Not unique enough, too tropical.

All very cool places, I read up on these a lot out of curiosity, but I think Beerwolf made a solid comparison. Falklands and St. Helena might be good contenders. Also, the best chance of intercepting number station broadcasts is Ascension.

Archived