IGNORED

Cure for cancer probably found...

Zephyr_Nova

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sigh

every type of cancer is different, depending on its site in the body. there is no 'cure for cancer', just treatments for specific cancers.

also, no dupe, but definitely gullible. plz to be questioning integrity and validity of sources.

i wish this was real so i could go on a rant about how fucking depraved this world is

fuck it:

THE COMPANIES [] CONTROL THE AIRWAVES

THEY CONTROL THE TV

THE COMMERCIALS

THE RADIOS

THE BRAINS

YOUR MIND BELONGS TO THE STATE

:nelson: brainwashed herd

oh wow.

those comments are like a battle between rationality and stupidity played out on a small scale. worse than youtube :facepalm:

also, no dupe, but definitely gullible. plz to be questioning integrity and validity of sources.

Well, maybe I'm overly optimistic. The person who made me aware of the article is usually pretty reliable when it comes to the sources he gets his info from. Note I put "probably" in the thread title. In any case, I find posting something like that here will usually get fast results about how plausible it is. I can deal with the occasional smug twat remark if it will also lead to some good insight about whatever subject is brought up.

Guest kxta

i hope they get a cure for paralysis soon then i can finally throw this wheelchair in the canal:(

i find that there's so much horrible speculative hippy bullshit on the web, that if an article is based on peer-reviewed, reliable sources, they'll tend to go out of their way to provide the sources in question. it's the internet - literally anyone can publish any old bullshit, and if they word it right a good chunk of people will tend to believe it.

edit: ok, that article cites this as a source, which is better than nothing, but the claims in the research documents there are carefully worded and a far cry from the claims in the OP article.

yeah but mitochondria are not cells, as the article states...mitochondria are organelles. Even I know that, and I'm fucking useless at science.

I'm surprised the author didn't write midichlorians and cite G. Lucas' article "Endosymbiotic Theory and Force-sensitivity" from the New England Journal of Teenage Fantasy, 1999; 354:1-3.

yeah but mitochondria are not cells, as the article states...mitochondria are organelles. Even I know that, and I'm fucking useless at science.

Oh ye you're right. I was just looking at the illustration because Im too tired to read now.

Jesus christ, he's spewing shit all over the page.

And the so called link to the original paper doesnt even work :facepalm:

shit, an entire book could be written but I can't do it guys....if I live through this, I'll try again :wtf: :wtf:

Dont worry mate, you'll make it.

Guest disparaissant

everyone keeps posting this everywhere as CANCER WAS CURED LAST WEEK but that article is like 3+ years old, is no one looking at the comments?

3. Genetic underpinnings of cancer are being discovered by the second thanks to supercomputing and the genome project. We've already identified 4 for breast and ovarian cancer: BRACA1, BRACA2, HER1 and HER2. The problem is that out development of gene-based therapy is just not here yet. Gleevec was the first; it targets an enzyme directly related only found in leukemia, stomach tumors and some other shit. This process will only get better. Gleevec was discovered using "rational drug design", which is just fucking mind-blowing and should win Most IDM for eternity. They found the chromosomal mutation that led to the aforementioned cancer and then used high-throughput protein analysis against the entire chemical library known to man. 2-phenylaminopyrimidine was a hit, they tried it and it worked.

the thing that blows my mind the most about 'rational drug design' is what it isn't. in other words so much of drug research is just smashing chems together to see what happens, mechanically separating the results in a centrifuge or similar, and then using the results as research chemicals. if it works, examine the molecular structure via electron microscope or x-ray diffraction.

my understanding is that a lot of drug research is 50/50 rational and intuition? it's 2011, we should be past that shit by now.

3. Genetic underpinnings of cancer are being discovered by the second thanks to supercomputing and the genome project. We've already identified 4 for breast and ovarian cancer: BRACA1, BRACA2, HER1 and HER2. The problem is that out development of gene-based therapy is just not here yet. Gleevec was the first; it targets an enzyme directly related only found in leukemia, stomach tumors and some other shit. This process will only get better. Gleevec was discovered using "rational drug design", which is just fucking mind-blowing and should win Most IDM for eternity. They found the chromosomal mutation that led to the aforementioned cancer and then used high-throughput protein analysis against the entire chemical library known to man. 2-phenylaminopyrimidine was a hit, they tried it and it worked.

the thing that blows my mind the most about 'rational drug design' is what it isn't. in other words so much of drug research is just smashing chems together to see what happens, mechanically separating the results in a centrifuge or similar, and then using the results as research chemicals. if it works, examine the molecular structure via electron microscope or x-ray diffraction.

my understanding is that a lot of drug research is 50/50 rational and intuition? it's 2011, we should be past that shit by now.

well, yes I agree with you but it's not exactly an easy problem to work around. At the current level of computing, we can't even get close to correlating which genes regulate proteins. We also don't even have the math to cope with the data because standard statistical techniques used to discover connections among data points completely collapse. We're able to do it with known quantities i.e. a set of 4 liver cancers regulated by 20,000 genese--whose fucking who?

The problem gets even crazier when trying to factor in a basically infinite database of potential therapeutic chemicals and combinations. We'll get there but there is a hell of lot of tech. and mathematics that has to come first.

very true, and a good place in the conversation to link folding@home - this is something that the average watmmer hitting f5 every minute to catch the latest troonism can actually help with.

and this approach is working, too

Guest disparaissant

i tried folding@home but it cut my troon f5ing response my 3 ms so i uninstalled that shit

no jk but mine goes to seti

That was fucking amazing and made me feel extremely inadequate. Now, please take some deep breaths chen because I'm going to make a statement about Asians but I think you might agree.

LOL i dunno what you think about me, but I'm guessing you think I don't brook criticism of Asians. Criticism is fine, it's sweeping generalizations I have a problem with.

Yeah it's no revelation that certain parts of Asia (India, China, South Korea, Japan) have students who really excel, especially in sciences. They work their balls off and have no social life at all. It isn't any fun for them at all. They understand this for the most part.

Check out the documentary "2 million minutes" linky-poo for differences in approaches by high school students in India, China and the US.

However, it should be noted that that kid did that in Toronto - in a public school no less (he was probably in the IB program, granted).

Having said all that - I know my fair share of Asians that are dumber than Maximus Mischief.

Guest hahathhat

is big pharma really much better off letting cancer kill people, vs. curing it and selling them all manners of whatever for another few decades?

that article informed me that mitochondria is a human cell :cerious:

Is it sad that I actually laughed a little at this

"FOOLS! Mitochondria is a cell organelle!"

:emotawesomepm9:

oh wow.

those comments are like a battle between rationality and stupidity played out on a small scale. worse than youtube :facepalm:

This guy is a rambling idiot AND he doesn't know how to talk to women:

Quote Hugbees: "I find it interesting that a 4 year old report has gained literally zero traction in the medical community."

When the insurrance company allows the doctor to bill for it and the doctor needs a new set of matching golf clubs for his yacht then we will all be treated with this new proceedure regardless of our symptoms.

They say a woman decides in three minutes of meeting you if she is gonna sleep with you, well a doctor decides your course of treatment just as quickly after reading your insurrance benefits which of course he does before he examines you.

Double whammy!

Archived