IGNORED

Cure for cancer probably found...

Zephyr_Nova

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C

also, no dupe, but definitely gullible. plz to be questioning integrity and validity of sources.

i meant dupe in the non-internet sense.

Guest disparaissant

...and the doctor needs a new set of matching golf clubs for his yacht...

wait

why does your doc need golf clubs for his yacht

is their yacht a transformer who plays golf?

I just became dumber by reading this article...what a bunch of bullshit. I do research on cell metabolism and cancer, and all of their statements are wrong regrading glycolysis and metastasis. Also, there's no link to an actual scientific article. Anyone who donates to their website is retarded.

@ article. LOL at the apple store job advertisement placed at the top of the article. Targeting the right applicants there i see.

Ads? you still see ads? this apple user doesn't see any ads.

Guest hahathhat

Ads? you still see ads? this apple user doesn't see any ads.

it's as if steve jobs himself climbed mt. olympus and stole adblock from the gods just so apple computers would be a tad nicer to use

Guest newmac

Old news

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloroacetic_acid

"Potential cancer applications

Cancer cells generally use glycolysis rather than respiration (oxidative phosphorylation) for energy (the Warburg effect), as a result of hypoxia that exists in tumors and damaged mitochondria.[13] Usually dangerously damaged cells kill themselves via apoptosis, a mechanism of self-destruction that involves mitochondria, but this mechanism fails in cancer cells.

A phase one study published in January 2007 by researchers at the University of Alberta, who had tested DCA on cancer cells grown in mice, found that DCA restored mitochondrial function, thus restoring apoptosis, allowing cancer cells to self-destruct and, therefore, the tumor shrinking.[14]

These results received extensive media attention, beginning with an article in New Scientist titled "Cheap, ‘safe’ drug kills most cancers".[15] Subsequently, the American Cancer Society and other medical organizations have received a large volume of public interest and questions regarding DCA.[16] Clinical trials in humans with cancer have not been conducted in the USA and are not yet final in Canada, emphasizing the need for caution in interpreting the preliminary results.[16][17]"

Yeah it's impossible to say that Americans are stupid, or that they can't memorize shit - look at those people who call in to sports radio talk shows - arcane knowledge of statistics, statistical analysis, historical recall etc. etc.

From my point of view - many Asians see America as the place to go and get that education, then go back to the motherland and improve things there. In terms of middle class and government structure, China still has a long ways to go though...Shanghai and Beijing aside.

After a quick scan I haven't seen this argument being made: when some 'medicine' is invented due to research on lab-mice, it usually takes years before actual medicines for humans are produced. If only to investigate possible long-term effects and other side-effects (think of interactions with other medicines and interactions with other diseases or traits people can have). These researches take years and years.

Assuming it's true, it still takes years of investigation before actual medicines are produced and allowed to be used (regulations, regulations...).

...so yeah, another conspiracy... :rolleyes:

Guest Wall Bird

LOL at the apple store job advertisement placed at the top of the article. Targeting the right applicants there i see.

You do realize that is a targeted advertisement, right? That thing changes based on information gathered on you. I, for example, am seeing an advertisement for Native Instruments' 'The Finger'.

LOL at the apple store job advertisement placed at the top of the article. Targeting the right applicants there i see.

You do realize that is a targeted advertisement, right? That thing changes based on information gathered on you. I, for example, am seeing an advertisement for Native Instruments' 'The Finger'.

Just give in to the apple hate. ;-]

*goes out to buy cigarettes - hopes to see banner advertisements for cancer healing when browsing, on his return.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I also do research on cancer and this is indeed utter rubbish.

I also feel the need to mention to kaini that you can't look at molecules with an electron microscope

The reason why I don't believe in conspiracy theories like this is because it doesn't make any sense and I still have faith in humanity. If this was really a "cure" for cancer, do you really think doctors and pharmaceutical companies would really try to cover it up? These people have the same fucking chance of getting cancer that all of us do, they have the same amount of family members getting cancer, and the same desire to do something about this heartbreaking disease, because they are fucking human beings too. If there really was a respectable way to cure cancer, people would find a way to use it. People like to bicker and fight and make money off of each other, but at the end of the day, we are all human and we all want to ultimately survive and take care of our loved ones. People need to stop being so cynical and realize that we are all in this together and the people running the drug companies and insurance companies are really not all that different from you and I. Have a little bit of faith in humanity for fucks sake.

This is the same reason I don't believe for even a second that 911 was a government conspiracy. The US government is made out of real people, moms and dads, sisters and brothers. The scale of cooperation required to do something like this and not get caught or have anything leak is just unfathomable. Nobody could keep a secret that dark for long, not with something like that.

The reason why I don't believe in conspiracy theories like this is because it doesn't make any sense and I still have faith in humanity. If this was really a "cure" for cancer, do you really think doctors and pharmaceutical companies would really try to cover it up? These people have the same fucking chance of getting cancer that all of us do, they have the same amount of family members getting cancer, and the same desire to do something about this heartbreaking disease, because they are fucking human beings too. If there really was a respectable way to cure cancer, people would find a way to use it. People like to bicker and fight and make money off of each other, but at the end of the day, we are all human and we all want to ultimately survive and take care of our loved ones. People need to stop being so cynical and realize that we are all in this together and the people running the drug companies and insurance companies are really not all that different from you and I. Have a little bit of faith in humanity for fucks sake.

This is the same reason I don't believe for even a second that 911 was a government conspiracy. The US government is made out of real people, moms and dads, sisters and brothers. The scale of cooperation required to do something like this and not get caught or have anything leak is just unfathomable. Nobody could keep a secret that dark for long, not with something like that.

Having faith in capitalism to not be selfish and humanity not to be corrupt and the general public to be sceptically informed, is a bit of a stretch.

----

I do like some of the alternative ideas out there, those that are melding with modern science at least. Like boosting your immune system through positivity.

What erks me, is how the creative thinking that abounds on the edges of science, can be co-opted by douchbags. And sold using sciency sounding terminology.

Cancer drug resurfaces and threatens false optimism

So what happened after the frenzy died down?

The answer is that it was finally tested in five patients with aggressive brain cancer by Evangelos Michelakis of the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, who had conducted the original experiments in animals.

The results, published last year in Science Translational Medicine, revealed that it probably extended the lives of four of the patients, while one other died.

Most importantly, Michelakis demonstrated from brain scans and biopsies that DCA appeared to work as he had predicted, arresting the growth of cancer cells by switching them back to normal energy production in mitochondria. The experiments also showed that beneficial effects took a few months to kick in. Importantly, Michelakis said that despite the small trial, it would be impossible to tell whether DCA works or not until it is tested in a placebo-controlled trial.

As far as we know, no further trials have been conducted, so the jury is still out on whether it may do any good. We reported the new results in New Scientist and included news of other teams around the world developing treatments targeting glycolysis.

Some other treatments that disrupt energy metabolism, such as the drug metformin taken by diabetics, were also showing signs of activity against cancer, for example. So for now, we are a little bit wiser about how DCA might work, but until someone does a much larger, well-organised trial, it would be unwise to assume that taking it will be safe or do any good.

The more encouraging news is that other teams are now investigating the scope for targeting glycolysis, and although it could be a long haul to demonstrate whether any work, it does provide another avenue of attack against a disease which continues to push medicine to its limits.

Archived